1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cool story bro] met bud adams today

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Aug 6, 2011.

1. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I didn't either.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

We just got Costco's maybe 15 years ago I think. At least that is when I first heard of it.

3. YaosDirtyStache

Sams is now for the minorities.

All us whites with the money shop at CostCo.

4. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN BROTHERS

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This minority can't even afford to go have membership to Sams.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You guys must not really live in Houston....There are Costco's everywhere.

Sam's is so 1990's.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Surprised you saw him at Costco. It's not really where I would expect to see someone of his wealth.

As far as Bud himself, I don't really have a problem with him at this point. I was devastated when the Oilers left town, but in hindsight we should have given him the stadium that he wanted. The Dome was horrible for football.

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think I would rather have the Toyota Center and Reliant than the hybrid Bud dreamed up. That would have been even more money dumped down the drain.

9. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Truly a cool story. Bro. You showed more tact than I would have been able to muster, that's for sure. It should go w/o saying that I wouldn't have gotten obscene or anything (I wouldn't)...but I woulda said something.

I don't know...he IS pretty old though. Maybe seeing him in that scooter would've kept me classy. Whatever. F him.

10. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Not when the city just poured in upgrades to the Dome. Sucks to have the Oilers leave though. They should still be the Houston Football Oilers and not the Tennessee Titans, but oh well.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I still think the name "Houston Texans" is stupid, but I prefer this team than any team that Bud has control over.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Brought football to Houston, and is a fraternity brother of mine.

Didn't like it when he moved the team, but understood the business of it....and mostly I blame the Mayor.

So, Bool story Cro.

DD

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I agree !! It's fashionable to blame adams and look the other way at what lanier did...

I would have asked him how much he would consider selling the oilers name back to city of houston? Then we can replace this corny texans nonsense.. bring back morgana the kissing bandit, house of pain, and that one guy that works the sidelines and does his traditional rollover at sideline before every game..

Oh well at least me and DD remember

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is he senile yet? Should have tried to buy back the rights to the Oilers brand.

15. YaosDirtyStache

There are 3 costcos and only 1 in civilization...

YOU must not live in Houston.

16. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Adams said he would not sell the name "Oilers" or the uniform design/color scheme. He wanted to be able to take the "history" of the Oilers with him.

#2 The city had just poured a huge amount of money into upgrades for the Astrodome, at the request of Bud Adams.

#3 Adams 2-3 times threatened to move the Oilers out of Houston, and the city caved. Lanier said enough is enough.

#4 The Texans have no tradition, and for all the Oilers failures, they were ALWAYS interesting, there was always something going on. However, Adams would not give up the name or tradition... so, there was never going to be "house of pain" part II.

Too bad... because honestly, the Texans are a BORING organization.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Exactly. He's a bastid.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because like you said above, they have no tradition.

Not many sub 10 year old franchises do... in any sport.

A lot of what has been mentioned happened when the Oilers were already 30+ years old and entrenched in once city. Not many people here recall what was going on during the 1974 season (when the Oilers were at the same stage the Texans are now)... but it took the luv ya blue era teams to really entrench them into the city's landscape.

The Texans need a "signature" moment such as this.... until then, they will continue to have "no tradition", but I can't fault a team that is limited simply because they haven't been around long enough.

19. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

shouts out to my katy freeway costco boys holdin it down.

2 spliffs in their honor.

[​IMG]

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Well he'll be dead soon, and Houston will likely not have had a championship either way. Given that, I think it would be a lot cooler to still have the Oilers.