1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cooking Opinion] Grilling Steaks, What Level of Done-ness Do You Like and Why???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nick_713, Jun 12, 2015.

?

What level of done-ness do you like your grilled steak???

1. Rare

15 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Medium-Rare

85 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. Medium

42 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. Medium-Well

24 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. Well-Done

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I just did the reverse sear method for the first time with some Well marbled NY strip steaks - HEB Prime. Worked perfectly. The interesting part is that the slow and low cooking of the near allowed the fat to break down better than in a sear and finish in the oven approach. I finished on the grill on sear setting, and produced a pretty decent crust. I think cast iron with butter thyme and garlic would be even better, but I didn't want to get the kitchen too smokey w family over.

Definitely a method I will use going forward.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Glad it worked out for you! I reversed seared three t-bones today, and I used the cast iron... and two hours later my house still smells like steak. Not a bad thing, but probably wise to use the grill with people over!

3. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Medium-Well.. Love me a great steak, it just has to be prepared , and seasoned right.

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

I used to do medium well..but now it's down to medium. Anything lower and I taste the metallic meat taste.

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did a sirloin culotte (basically a tri-tip) on the kamado, reverse sear, last night and it came out very nicely. had a full firebox, and once i took the heat deflector out and opened the vents, the temp shot up to ~700 degrees in just a few minutes.

6. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

What kind of oil were you using? Also if you are cooking in a skillet with butter try making clarified butter, the smoke point is much higher than regular butter. I make a batch and then keep it in the fridge.

I still need to try the reverse sear method and sous-vide with a sear and pan sauce. I think I am buying steaks for dinner now...

7. basso

Supporting Member

or buy some Ghee (clarified butter).

8. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I don't know why people would buy it. You can easily make a big batch in 15 minutes. I was also under the impression that Ghee and traditional clarified butter are not the same. I thought Ghee was cooked longer and was browned and had a slightly different flavor.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/ButterGhee.htm

9. basso

Supporting Member

hmmm.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/01/dining/steak-on-charcoal-cooking.html#

He credits President Dwight D. Eisenhower, a native of Denison, Tex., with turning him on to this technique.

“I heard a rumor of Ike grilling these really thick four-inch sirloins,” said Mr. Byres, who tracked down a 1953 article in The Miami Daily News that confirmed his hunch: Eisenhower, it said, “rubs the steak with oil and garlic and then, as the horrified guests look on, casually flings the steak into the midst of the red and glowing coals.”

10. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I have done two reverse seared ribeyes on my Egg in the last two weeks. I have the Egg from 270 degrees to 700 degrees in a manner of minutes for the sear. It works beautifully.

I will never cook a steak any other way from now on (except I am going to use cast iron and some herb butter to sear at some point to test that out). Not only does the reverse sear give a more consistent medium-rare, but it's also a lot easier to cook. I just watch the temps on my digital temperature controller (DIGIQ DX2), flipping halfway through the cook. It's fool proof!

I love it when I discover cooking methods that make the food more delicious while making the process less burdensome at the same time. The reverse sear is a big time winner. Thanks to the poster who brought that into this thread.

I also purchased a Looflighter recently as I saw one on Amazon Prime. That lighter had been recommended to me in another thread a while ago. It is DEFINITELY the best way I have found to light the charcoal. I wish it had been on Amazon a year ago...

11. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

*Looftlighter, rather.