1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cooking Opinion] Grilling Steaks, What Level of Done-ness Do You Like and Why???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nick_713, Jun 12, 2015.

?

What level of done-ness do you like your grilled steak???

1. Rare

15 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Medium-Rare

85 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. Medium

42 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. Medium-Well

24 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. Well-Done

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Medium. Just go to you tube and look up Gordon Ramsay steak. Works great every time.

1 person likes this.
  2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

after the sear, do you shut the vents and allow the temp to float down, equivalent to putting a steak in the oven after searing on top of the stove?

3. basso

Supporting Member

re-upping this from an earlier thread on this topic. similar in technique to yours, although my finished temp is lower- what level of doneness are you going for? 5-7 minutes to sear a side is a long time, imo, and 145 finished temp will be on the medium side.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8137915&postcount=37

[rquoter]Here's the technique I use most often:

Grapeseed oil (has a very high smoke point- crucial in a NYC apt.
    softened butter
    kosher or sea salt (NOT regular table salt!), pepper
    a couple of cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed.
    a branch or two of fresh rosemary
    1.5" -2" thick ribeye.
    cast iron pan

don't scrimp on the quality of the meat. in NYC, it's about $25/lbs, so if you're feeding a couple of people, it's gonna be $50-$75 worth of meat. it's worth it.

preheat oven to 375. have steak at room temperature. liberally salt and pepper both sides of the steak. place the cast iron pan over a medium pan until it's hot. add oil (not much) and increase heat to high. when the oil starts to shimmer, add the steak. let it sit & sear, do not move it around.

after about 2 minutes, lift one side to check browning. if it's nice and brown, flip it over, if it's not, cook for another 30-60 seconds, checking to see how it's browning. after you flip it over, turn off the heat.

put a pat of butter on the top of the steak, and smear it around. it will begin to melt, and run down the sides. this is fine. place the crushed garlic cloves and the rosemary on top of the steak. spoon some juices over the top, and put the pan in the oven.

depending on your oven, and the thickness of the steak, cook 5-7 minutes. test for doneness with your fingers, or a thermometer. err on the rare side.

remove the pan from the oven, and the steak from the pan. let it rest on a cutting board for 5-10 minutes, keep the rosemary and garlic on the steak while it rests. the internal temperature of the steak will continue to rise.

if you want a sauce, deglaze the pan with a half cup of red wine, and any juices that leaked from the steak as it rests.

cut the steaks in half, so you have about 1/2 per person. add the sauce if you like.[/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  4. Indaface

Indaface Member

You can reverse sear avoiding the oven as well for those worried about putting a steak in the over.

I just cook them over indirect heat on my grill until they hit 125 then i sear them for about a minute and a half each over the coals.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Medium rare, reverse sear is the only way I cook steak.

For a normal NY Strip:
    • Lightly drench steak in olive oil (optional)
    • Rub down with hefty amounts of kosher salt and cracked black pepper
    • Place on oven-rack pan
    • Cook for 40 minutes in the oven set at 250 degrees Fahrenheit
    • Flash cook in frying pan and olive oil on high for 60-90 seconds per side, or on a hot grill
    • Let rest for 8 minutes
    • Perfectly cooked medium rare steak

You can reverse sear not using the oven, but keeping a grill at a set temperature is much harder than an oven. Even if I use the grill, I use the oven for the cooking and the grill for the flash on each side.

If you buy good steak, and cook it the right way - no "sides" or "sauces" are required. Salt and pepper is all that is needed to make a steak taste great, when cooked properly. With that said, a blob of garlic butter is delicious as well.

You MUST let the steak rest for 8 minutes, otherwise you'll lose the juices on the plate when slicing. Medium rare is 125-130 degrees Fahrenheit. I recommend for the first few times cooking in this manner to use a digital thermometer.

http://www.reddit.com/r/steak

1 person likes this.
  6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I have before, but I prefer to let the sear do all the cooking. If I get a good sear too quickly, I will put in the ceramic divider and finish it off indirect.

Of course, this reverse sear steak at 275 degrees for an hour before searing looks a lot better than my steaks. I am going to try that method on my next steak, for sure.

I have fired up my Egg four straight days (chicken and vegetables every meal). I absolutely love it.

7. basso

Supporting Member

i have a kamado joe, so idea, and in season probably use it 4-5/week. tough to do a reverse sear on the joe tho.

i have done it in the oven, and finished on top of the stove, and agree that it's very good, and that it imparts a slight roast beef quality to the steak...which may be fine, depending on your preference.

8. basso

Supporting Member

now that i think about it, why not have the best of both worlds: reverse sear on the kamado/egg over low heat, then finish in cast iron on the stovetop?

might have to try that this weekend.

#68 basso, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I use a cast iron stove top grill. Works tremendously well, just make sure you have decent ventilation.

10. basso

Supporting Member

yep, i have one of those as well, and i like it, although it's tough to manage it you're putting it in the over after, or transferring from the oven.

i think the advantage of doing the "reverse" portion on the grill is you'd get that classic grilled steak taste, w/o the "roast beef" flavor of the oven, and still get the even medium rare texture throughout.

and then cast iron of some sort on top to sear.

11. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I was thinking it would be easy to do it all on the Egg. Use the digital controller and temperature probe to do the first part, then pull the steak off and let it rest for 15 minutes. During that time, I will pull out the ceramic divider and open up the vents to get the coals really hot.

That's how I am going to try it, at least.

12. Win

Win Contributing Member

I tried the reverse sear for the first time last night. It was probably the most perfect and evenly cooked steak I have ever made. Admittedly, I'm no top chef, but you don't have to be with that method.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I bought an Anova sous vide machine a few weeks ago and cooked some t-bones with it to medium rare. It's amazing how the method allows me to get a perfectly consistent doneness in a huge piece of meat.

14. Victorious

Victorious Member

medium rare is the only way to go.

15. basso

Supporting Member

did you brown/sear it after?

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

sous vide it to medium rare, then grill/torch the outside to get a crispy sear

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O-bJDWEpbCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've been doing it sous-vide for about 5 years. It's so full proof that its seldom do any other method. Sous-vide poultry is even better because you seldom get an opportunity to eat chicken or duck that is not well, well done.

18. SuraGotMadHops

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gXgYivQlqBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We need to do this over the summer either out at the ranch or at Dave's pool.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, after I remove it from the sous vide process and pat it down, I quickly seared all sides in a hot cast iron skillet with butter.

Interestingly, I tried this method on chicken fried steak, too. Cooking the meat sous vide first allowed me to solely focus on getting a nice, crunchy breading in the pan instead of also trying to cook the meat through at the same time. Plus, the texture of the meat was very soft compared to the usual boot leather you get with pan frying tough cuts.