1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cooking Opinion] Grilling Steaks, What Level of Done-ness Do You Like and Why???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nick_713, Jun 12, 2015.

?

What level of done-ness do you like your grilled steak???

1. Rare

15 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Medium-Rare

85 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. Medium

42 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. Medium-Well

24 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. Well-Done

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I definitely appreciate your advice; Repped!

2. YourSecretLover

Nothing brings out the flavor of a well done steak like some ketchup.

1 person likes this.
  3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Lol, now thats livin'!

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Medium rare because that's how you buy it

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Medium rare.

Tried rare once. It was okay.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I can go rare on less fatty meats like fillet

I usually go for medium rare or even medium for more marbled cuts like rib eye

I feel like if you cook a marbled steak rare, you are not cooking the fat enough in order to melt it and baste the steak in it from the inside.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm the same way. I liked more well done before but now like medium rare.

I was at a BBQ last night and was just talking about the same thing. You want to make sure the outside of the steak is done to kill any possible pathogens on the outside that may have gotten there during butchering and handling. As others have noted the inside of a steak you don't have to worry about so much as compared to hamburger where all of the meat has been processed and has had a much greater chance to be contaminated. That said it is still a good idea to make sure the meat is hot throughout even if it is still rare in the middle.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

He ordered a steak at Cheddars- he got what he was he asking for. That's like saying you don't like Filets anymore because you had a bad experience with one at Chilis.

I feel sorry for people who don't know any better than to order their steak medium-well or well done.

Medium should be the highest you ever go. Personally I go with Rare+.. and +1 to the guy who bashed those who use A1 or other steak sauces.

10. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Cooking a steak past medium rare is one of the worst cooking mistakes one can make. There is no reason to buy a high quality cut of steak if you're going to cook it beyond medium rare.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

This is steak perfection.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GZ4xl7XJM08" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#31 DonnyMost, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    2 people like this.
  12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

During the searing on the final side, lately I've been basting it with a little butter, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. It's awesome.

And of course medium rare. Anything more is like asking for your sushi to be deep fried.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

My entire steak grilling universe has turned upside down!

Gotta try this! Thanks!

14. Baba Booey

I cook my steaks over charcoal in my Big Green Egg at about 500-600 degrees. I judge the heat by how long I can hold my hand over the grill. I want to be able to keep my hand there about 3 seconds before it gets too hot.

I also like thicker steaks. I cook them on one side for about 4 minutes, then the other side 3.5 minutes or so. Taking the steak out of the frige to get to room temperature is a must, otherwise it won't cook properly.

I only season with kosher or sea salt and pepper. I sometime marinate a steak, but I will only do that if it's not the best looking cut. If I have a beautiful steak, it's salt and pepper only.

If I grind my own ground beef for burgers (1/2 sirloin, 1/2 chuck), I prefer it medium. I would never buy nice cuts and turn them in to a medium burger, though. That's just my preference on burgers.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Aren't steak and 'at Chedders' mutually exclusive?

16. Baba Booey

They should be. It's like saying that oysters and soft shell crabs are disgusting because you ate them at Joe's Crab Shack once.

17. Baba Booey

I will be doing this on my Egg soon. That looks absolutely delicious!

18. Buck Turgidson

Similar to donnie's video:

If you have the time, a smoker, are serving a bunch of people and want to show off a bit, buy a whole sirloin, rub with salt/pepper, smoke it like you would a brisket (8 hours-ish, internal temp around 120), let it rest for 30 mins+, slice to desired thickness, more salt/pepper, then grill. Best black & blue steak ever.

1 person likes this.
  19. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

When you grill your steaks, how much time per side while cooking to get that level of done-ness you desire??? Do you turn them just once???

20. Asian Sensation

Depends on thickness. Turn only once to get that nice crusty sear. Use a cast iron if possible.

Once you cook enough of them you can tell usually tell how done they are. Always cook under than over. Can't fix an over cooked steak.