1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cookin' with Rockets fans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dachuda86, Dec 11, 2011.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Hey guys, I'm one of many here who likes to dabble in the kitchen. I was wondering if anyone had some good recipes they want to share. I'm looking to do more cooking with turkey lately. Particularly ground turkey. I made an awesome chili I'll share at the bottom of this post for anyone who wants to try a great recipe.

As for the Chili, I'm naming it after you guys because I created the recipe after reading several chili threads and debates that started in the hangout. So here it is, with or without beans:

Clutchfans Chili:

Ingredients:
    cap full of Vegetable oil
    1 large yellow onion - 3/4 diced, 1/4 minced and saved for garnish
    2 cloves of garlic - minced
    1 pound of chili meat - turkey or beef
    1 can of kidney beans - optional
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    6 teaspoons of chili powder or to taste
    1-2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
    1/2 teaspoons of crushed oregano
    1-2 teaspoons of cheyenne pepper
    salt and black pepper to taste
    ground cheddar
    1/2 cup of hot water - beer is optional

1. Add oil to a large cooking pot and add 3/4 of diced onion to pan with 2 minced garlic gloves. Sauttee until the onion caramelizes. Add ground meat and thoroughly cook.

2. Lower heat and drain canned items and then add them to the mix. Next add all of the spices and stir thoroughly.

3. Next add the amount of liquid you want in your chili. Probably about a cup of water will do. Add beer at this point if you want some extra flavor. Bring this to a boil and then bring it down to simmer for at least about 20-30 minutes.

4. Scoop chili into a bowl and garnish with finely minced onions and ground cheddar cheese. Add crackers at will.

5. Eat chili and drink beer.

1 person likes this.
  2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

My grandmother would make this awesome stew. It's basically a modified Irish stew, and my favorite thing ever:

Get yourself a big-ass pot with lid, and layer in the following:
    4-5 lbs of potatoes, sliced into whatever size you like
    1-3 lbs of carrots (bag of baby carrots is fine)
    1 whole sweet yellow onion, diced
    Several fresh cloves of garlic, sliced or minced
    2-3 lbs of sausage, sliced (beef, pork, whatever....I usually go with beef). Brown it first in a skillet if you like or just throw it in the pot with the rest.

Put enough water in the pot so that the potatoes and carrots are covered. Put the lid on the pot and bring to a boil, then let it all simmer for a half hour or so. When it's all done, whisk some flour in ~1 cup of water and pour it in the pot and stir it all up to thicken the broth.

You can mix and match the amounts of each ingredient, of course, and you won't want to get off the couch afterward if you do it right. I made some just the other night. It's perfect food for cold winter weather.

1 person likes this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

nice... yeah soups are really good this time of year... thinking about making some beef/sausage stew like this.

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

sounds delicious. do you add any salt or broth to the soup?

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This is a riff on coq au vin, basically a slightly easier, faster version.

Ingredients
    AP flour
    8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
    1lb crimini mushrooms, quartered
    1 cup chopped carrot
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 lb bacon, diced
    1 cup dry red wine
    2 cups chicken stock

Preheat oven to 400

Render bacon in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium heat and remove and drain on paper towels. While the bacon's rendering, season chicken thighs liberally with salt and pepper and dust with flour. Once the bacon is cooked and removed, add a pat of butter to the bacon fat and brown the chicken thighs, skin side first. Remove the chicken thighs from the pan once they're golden brown and crispy on the outside.

Add another tbsp of butter and saute the vegetables in the pan until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Be mindful of the heat, because you don't want to scorch the browned bits on the bottom of the skillet. When the vegetables have started to soften, add your mushrooms to the pan with another pat of butter. The moisture from the vegetables and the butter should help to deglaze the pan.

Once the moisture from the mushrooms has mostly evaporated, add the red wine, scrape the bottom of the pan, and reduce by half. Once the wine has reduced, add your chicken thighs back to the pan, skin side up, and add enough chicken stock to cover the chicken by 3/4. It's important that you not completely submerge the chicken, because you want the skin to remain crispy. Stir in the cooked bacon, bring the mixture to a simmer, then throw the pan in the oven and allow the chicken to braise for about an hour.

After an hour has passed, remove the pan from the oven, remove the chicken thighs to a plate, and reduce your sauce by about 3/4, or until it's the consistency of a vinaigrette. If necessary, add the chicken back to the pan to bring up to temp, then serve with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.

As I read through the steps, the recipe actually sounds a bit more in-depth than it actually is, hah.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

I just recently got a recipe off this website called arab husband chili if anyone is interested.

7. aghast

aghast Member

Not the BEANS! Arghhhh!

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d4MqTCIDKhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Yeah, man. It's really frickin' good.

Nope. The garlic, onion, and sausage are enough flavor. I'll add pepper after scooping out my bowl-full. Maybe some hot sauce. The flour whisked into water and then poured into the pot at the end makes a perfect gravy. I can't tell you how much flour as I just eyeball it, but a scoop like this is about right:
    [​IMG]
    ....like the ones that come in those large protein shake powder containers.

Forgot to add that this is perfect for a crock pot as well. Just layer it in same as above and cook it on low for 6-8 hours and it'll be just as good as making it on the stove.

9. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Just did this one I saw off a friend's facebook.

Buffalo chicken meatballs

2 TB olive oil
    1/2 stick unsalted butter
    1/3 cup of franks red hot (or whatever you like)
    1 lb ground chicken
    1 large egg
    1/2 celery stalk minced
    3/4 cup of bread crumbs
    1 tp salt

Preheat oven to 450

Drizzle oil onto 9x13 baking dish

Combine butter and hot sauce in sauce pan until butter is melted. let cool for about 10 minutes

Combine ground chicken, egg, celery and bread crumbs, and butter hot sauce and mix until completely incorporated

Roll into 3/4 in balls (I did around 1 in and they were fine)

Put them into the dish and make sure they are touching each other

Cook for around 15-20 minutes

Let cool for about 5 minutes

1 person likes this.
  10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Rubbed this 7.5 lb Boston pork butt with grub rub, put it in my new big green egg and slow smoked it for 10.5 hours to an internal temp of 200. Now it's resting before becoming some righteous pulled pork.

http://[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Oh wow, very impressive...

12. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I like using my crock pot everything comes out nice and tender every time.

13. HombreDeHierro

cookin with clutchfans rolls off the tounge

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

There is no option. Chili does not have beans. If you use beans, you have made a thick gruel... not chili.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I got up early on Saturday and made this for the family:

[​IMG]

1 lb bacon

Place bacon on griddle. Flip at some point. Wait until it is just right. Take off griddle. Pat with paper towel. Serve warm.

16. Prince

Prince Member

I'm surprised DD has not chimed in yet... ;)

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

It is also to note, that Bacon will make just about anything taste better :grin:

18. trigun333

trigun333 Member

A pretty simple cheese dip to make and is always a favorite among my friends when i make it for big games.

It comes out pretty spicy so you can substitute items for items that aren't spicy.

Ingredients

Spicy Breakfast Sausage 16oz (Jimmy Deans is what I use)
    2 10oz cans of Hot Rotel Dice Tomatoes with Habaneros
    2 lb Velveeta Cheese loaf
    Milk - don't really have a measurement since its on preference on how thick you want the consistency to be.

1) Cook the spicy sausage in a large sized skillet. You want to basically break apart the sausage to where it looks like you're cooking ground beef. Let the sausage cook through.

2) When the sausage is almost done cooking open the two cans of rotel and drain out all the juice from the cans. Empty cans into a strainer to remove additional juice. Once the tomatoes and habeneros are relatively dry add them into the skillet with the cooking sausage. Mix items together in skillet.

3) When sausage is done cooking turn off stove and attempt to remove as much oil as possible before mixing in with the Velveeta cheese.

4) I don't have a crock pot, so I cut the Velveeta cheese loaf into squares and place half in a bowl add some milk and then add in the sausage and Rotel. Add in the second half of the cheese and a little more milk. I always put a little bit of milk cause if add in too much it comes out to thin. Its easier to add in more milk if its too thick than add in more cheese if its too thin.

5) Place bowl in microwave for 3 minutes, cover the bowl if you don't want a big mess. After the first three minutes stir the dip and put back in microwave for 3 minutes again. Repeat this till cheese is to liking.

6) Let the dip set for 5-10 minutes to thicken up for a bit and serve.

This does come out spicy but its a good spicy.

I hope it all makes sense and enjoy :grin:.

19. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

One of the best grilled shrimp recipes ever.......

Jumbo Shrimp Stuffed With Cilantro And Chiles

Time 5 minutes
    Serves 8

Ingredients

• 8 jumbo shrimp, in the shell (about 1 1/4 pounds) U 15 shrimp or Prawns
    • 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
    • Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
    • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
    • Freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 clove garlic, chopped
    • 1/2 large jalapeno, with seeds
    • 2 scallions (white and green parts)
    • 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves

How to make it

Prepare an outdoor grill with a medium-high fire. Without removing the shells, slit about 3/4 of the way through the shrimp down the ridged back and remove the vein that runs down the center. Rinse and pat the shrimp dry. Whisk thyme leaves, lime juice, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and black pepper, to taste, in a shallow nonreactive bowl or dish. Lay the shrimp cut side down in the lime mixture and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

In a food processor, pulse the garlic, jalapeno, scallions, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to make a coarse paste. Add the cilantro and pulse just enough to incorporate into the mixture. Spoon the mixture into the opening in the shrimp and close the shrimp. Grill the shrimp shell side down (to keep filling from falling out) for 3 minutes. Turn to the other shell side, cover, and grill another 2 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink and are slightly firm to the touch. Sprinkle with salt and serve
    Cook's Note: Shrimp cooked in the shells are more intensely flavorful. Leaving the shells on provides a buffer against overcooking, a misfortune many shrimp suffer. Shrimp, even these jumbos, continue to cook once removed from the grill. It's always best to cook them just until opaque and let the delicate shellfish finish cooking off the heat.

I used a piece of foil as a buffer from the intense heat, and it also acts as a pan of sorts. This will also allow you to keep all that stuffing intact and not drip into your grill. And this can be made in a frying pan as well.