1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Converting Videos to be iPod Compatible

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by apostolic3, Dec 10, 2005.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Got a 30 gig video iPod as a Christmas gift earlier this week. This thing is awesome. To the point: Just finished watching the Rockets vs. Kings game on it after using a program from Cucusoft. I used the trial version and it did very well. Is there another program that is free that does a good job, or should I pay the $30.00 and get the permanent version of Cucusoft? I know this is a very easy question for several people.

BTW, if anybody is on the fence about the video iPod you can come down now. I'm more cynical about faddish gadgets than I am about politicians. But believe me: The video iPod is the real deal. Apply has hit a grand salami. I even bought an episode of Dragnet from iTunes for $1.99 to test it out initially and was stunned by the video quality. Yes, the screen is small, but if you are looking at it undistracted, the smallness isn't very noticeable. Especially for a regular video. However, if you are observant of peripheral action away from the ball, it does subtract a little from viewing Rockets games.

Like many of you, I'm a husband and father so Christmas is all about giving gifts and not receiving them. This is the best material gift I've received in ages.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I had bought a 4 gig nano, but hadn't opened it yet (don't ask me how that happened... I guess I was so busy playing with the 2 gig nano I got my daughter for her birthday that it just sat there, lol!), when Apple suddenly announces the new model iPod. I decided to think about what I really wanted, and to read some feedback about them. Sure enough, I ended up with returning my nano and buying the new iPod instead.

While I was at the store, I asked if they had a black 60 gig in stock. It shocked the hell out of me when it turned out they did. I must have been lucky with a shipment coming in at the Best Buy I was at. Anyway, I haven't even tried the video yet, and I'm stoked reading stories like the one you have. This thing is going to be a gas! :cool:

3. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Funny you would mention BB. I was there earlier today buying a case for my black video 30GB. A guy walks up wanting to know if they had any in stock and the BB guy gave him the standard, "No, when we get them they come 30 at a time...Apple controls the shipping, not us...blah blah blah". Made me feel pretty good to have one. :D I say this as someone who is cynical 99% of the time about any consumer frenzy or trend. I wish mine was a 60GB, but I'll just set iTunes to only update videos into the iPod upon request instead of automatically. Right now, my music library of 580 songs only takes up 5.6 GB. [I could still fit over 30 more Rockets games on it].

Forgot to mention this is my first MP3 player. :) Been wanting one for a couple of years but it wasn't in the budget. My sister got it for me.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey, this is my first one as well, and my first Apple product. I'm really, really impressed with both the iPod and the software. It is, to use a cliché, just elegant. I traveled with the family for about a month during the summer, and I keep thinking about how great this would have been on the trip.

I figure I got myself an early Christmas present. :)

5. Astro101

Astro101 Member

The Cucosoft software works well. My parents have used it with no problems and they're not the most copmuter saavy people in the world.

6. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I used Xilisoft, as suggested by Mr. Brightside. First I converted the Rockets comeback against the Spurs to *.mov (Quicktime) format. It wasn't very good quality. Then I tried converting it to MPEG-4 and it was no better. So far, Cucusoft win by a landslide, though the "Trial Version" across the screen is annoying, for now. Xilosoft's trail version will only convert 5 minutes of video.

The reviews I read about Xilosoft and Cucusoft favored Xilisoft significantly, but my experience differed. Anybody out there know another program I could try or should I go ahead and plunk down $30.00 for Cucusoft's full version? Xilisoft's capabilities are very extensive, but what good is that if the quality isn't great? Cucusoft is geared for just for the iPod.

7. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Xilisoft. Works. Good.

I'm really glad I found it. I'd reccommend it.

8. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I'm glad you like it apostolic. I'm PRETTY sure I'm getting one for Christmas (it's off my Amazon wish list anyway)and it was more of a "don't expect to get it, but it would be pretty awesome" kinda selection. A comprehensive review would be appreciated.

9. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Okay Ive converted a DVD to MP4 and added to my iPod, but when I do that it seperates it into different scenes (ie Title01_1.mp4) and doesnt put it all in one file. Anyone know what Im doing wrong? Its an iPod video 60Mb. Thanks!