1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conversation Hogs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 16, 2024.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

WTF do you do when someone higher up the food chain won't stfu in every meeting you're in?

Usually not an issue, but lately this one bro just won't be quiet and redirects everything back to how he knows something about everything.

BMoney and IBTL like this.
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I've always just ignored them unless they addressed me directly.

Jontro likes this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

All about crankmyfathog.com

Nook likes this.
  4. Xerobull

This person is hogging 75% of meeting time just blabbing. I need a strategy. They are genuinely nice.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lie back and think of England.

It's a Kobayashi Maru scenario.

Rashmon, arkoe, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  6. Xerobull

Not asking about your dating life, clutchbro.

Jontro likes this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Wear one of these to the meeting and the intention will shift back to you.

[​IMG]

ROCKSS, mtbrays, BamBam and 3 others like this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its pretty easy actually. Just stand up and tell him you had sex with his mother.

Surfguy, Rashmon, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sounds like the ALPHA is in his bag.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'd be more worried about the ones that stay quiet. They're sometimes the ones who are stealing money because they don't know anything and are trying to fool everybody or hoping the project fails. :D

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when OP figures this out please advise on how to deal with Sengunatics

Xerobull likes this.
  12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

On a serious note, they probably won't remain nice if you try to address the issue in any way.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If y'all are on good terms, maybe try a passive comment like, "oh nice, you're an expert on this topic too?" the next time he goes off.

He will not be happy about the comment when you make it. But he might stew on it later and realize he ****ed up.

On a somewhat related issue, I realized that I was one-upping someone a while back. I realized it while I was in the middle of doing it. I was just trying to tell a similar story as a way to empathize with his struggle, but the way it came off was definitely that I was one-upping his story. And it occurred to me that this probably wasn't the first and only instance of me doing this; I might be one of those mother****ers who one-ups people. That wasn't a great realization. I'm trying to be cognizant of it so that I won't do it anymore.*

Maybe if your coworker hasn't yet picked up on his problem, this passive-aggressive comment will be the thing that starts him on that path.

*Although arguably I am doing it right now in this very reply!

davidio840 and ROCKSS like this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

i mean, i usually just nod and write stuff on my binder when the teacher is talking.

DeBeards likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

My moms getting to that age of rambling for hours on the phone without any interjections from me for 20-30 minutes at a time. It's usually about 20 minutes of material being repeated 5x times.

davidio840 and Nook like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you give direct credit to the person you're backing up, it shouldn't come across strongly as one upping? I might have the same habit without realizing it, but sometimes good opinions (imo) are drowned out by the motormouth.

With remote meetings, i find tech folks tend to talk less unless its really necessary. In any case, i usually play the fool and summarize what everyone has droned about for the half hour if only to maybe not go in circles the next meeting.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

It's actually pretty easy, unless relentless talker is a moron. If you are leading the meeting, as soon as he finishes his first rant, regardless if he was on topic, simply say.... "Thanks (his name) for your great input, does anyone else have any questions/comments that they would like to add? (his name again), made some very good points, but it's important that we all participate in order for this meeting to be truly successful so I would like to hear someone else's opinion regarding (topic).

If this doesn't work.... simply stare at his forehead for 30seconds during/after his rant! This will make him feel awkward and he/she will automatically start shutting down and stop participating all together!! :cool:

DeBeards likes this.
  18. SuraGotMadHops

Meetings in general are overdone and a colossal waste of time for everybody involved. Don't hold a meeting if a phone call will suffice, don't hold a phone call if an email will suffice. I swear if everybody abided by this rule the number of meetings would go down 90%, and everybody would have way more time on their hands to do other things. I feel people call unnecessary meetings strictly to feel like they are earning their keep.

That said, it's incredible how much of my day is spent listening to other people ramble, and I have just learned to tune out and mentally plan out other things so I am prepared to do those once the meeting is over. What's funny is those same long-winded goofballs are the ones that try to speed me along in the rare cases I need to explain something to them. I think it comes from a position of insecurity, "if I talk the most and shut down others from talking, it means I am more important than they are."

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

100% and people feel obligated to fill every second of time that's allotted to the meeting. I don't schedule meetings longer than 25 minutes and I don't do chit chat because I hate meetings and would prefer to actually get my job done.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

The only hog conversions I know about are pork belly into bacon and a hogshead of beer being 54 gallons.