1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Controversy surrounding recent octuplet birth in California

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by underoverup, Jan 30, 2009.

1. mic

mic Member

Everything this woman says is delusional and contradicting. I'm sorry, but I'm not giving her the benefit of the doubt.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

I was disappointed when you didn't say vagina.

3. London'sBurning

This will be an interesting story 30 years from now to find out how all the kids have turned out.

4. London'sBurning

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sGjElvt4nP8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sGjElvt4nP8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

"You've got the huge vagina"

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Now seeing the pic, would you hit? (daunting alimony thought aside)

[​IMG]

7. YuTea

YuTea Member

do not want

8. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Member

There is a close up of her face in the link I posted. For some reason, I think her lips and nose are unnatural. The lips are too plumed up. It would be a shame that she had money to spend on cosmetic procedures instead of her kids.

9. no_answer

no_answer Member

It appears that you would. :D

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

There's that old saying it takes a village to raise a child. Well, usually its nice to kinda CONSULT with the villagers first to see if they're up to the task, or if there's even resources available. Thats more whats going on here.

Yes there's societies past and present where 15+ children in the poorest conditions isnt too uncommon. In 1900 the AVERAGE # of children was 7! The culture there is different though, more "old fashion" traditional, family & religion oriented.

With the wealth of knowledge we have now, all the information thats readily available, if she's so concerned about childs and their health, having 8 at one time is risky to EVERYONES health - the kids AND her own.

I might want 7 children, but for the good of everyone and the childrent THEMSELVES we cant have them all one time in a Costco economy package bundle. I'd be CHEATING my child's health having it/them share a womb with 7 other children.

I dont actually know but wouldnt quite say that. There's a lot of women & children oriented professions out there that arent well known but exist. (Though everyone always wants to be an expert in something, wouldnt be overly surprised if there's a crowded market in what she's doing)

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Thats the one issue in all this to me - Where are the men who should be involved? What happened to the importance of having fathers around?

Thats REAL child development having a FATHER around. Not this single mom I can do it on my own/but in reality the whole world is a collective dad and mom free supportive babysitting/soak in all the attention my crotch spawns bring in crap. I'm guessing her mom didnt have a husband or father figure around either. And the Britney plan, all she had to do was smile demurely and look pretty after all the turmoil and bad decisions, and its okay.

I'm actually kinda proud of society now, this girl deserves all the scrutiny she's getting, and deserves the financial support rescinded from her.

12. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

13. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Member

14. Jayou

Jayou Member

Here's the latest news on this crazy woman.....unbelievable :rolleyes:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6255420.html

15. no_answer

no_answer Member

16. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Member

17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

The doctor(s) should be removed from practicing. Absolutely unacceptable situation, and this chick is loony. I feel sorry for the children.

She already had special needs children, couldn't pay her bills, but she got money from a lawsuit and used it to go to a fertility doctor who bent the rules to increase her chances of multiple children? Unbelievable.

I heard she hired a publicist after the news, and I'm guessing that those lips are not "natural" (yes, the ones on her face, clutchpervs). Justification for this situation just does not exist.

Chick has serious issues already, had 6 children she couldn't take care of on her own, and used lawsuit money to obtain 8 more. CUCKOO. Now their talking millions of taxpayer dollars paying for the health care of these premies. revolting she would put her and her children and her mother and her "village" in this situation.

I'm sure she thought she'd capitalize on this, but it looks like the backlash is gonna be strong, and I think she'll be lucky if she gets to keep all these children, saying nothing for how she'll afford money and time to take care of them all.... let alone patience.

18. YuTea

YuTea Member

is that legit? not that I would donate to her anyways

19. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Member

It's so obvious she had a nose job and lip augmentation.

Look at her old pics.

http://www.radaronline.com/photos/2009/02/nadya_suleman_octuplet_mom.php

It's just amazing how she would spend money on plastic surgery instead of her kids.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

It looks like the taxpayers of the State of California are going to be footing the bill for this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29147091/?gt1=43001

Taxpayers may be covering octuplet mom’s bills
    Hospital where 33-year-old gave birth asking state to reimburse its costs

LOS ANGELES - A big share of the financial burden of raising Nadya Suleman’s 14 children could fall on the shoulders of California’s taxpayers, compounding the public furor in a state already billions of dollars in the red.

Even before the 33-year-old single, unemployed mother gave birth to octuplets last month, she had been caring for her six other children with the help of $490 a month in food stamps, plus Social Security disability payments for three of the youngsters. The public aid will almost certainly be increased with the new additions to her family.

Also, the hospital where the octuplets are expected to spend seven to 12 weeks has requested reimbursement from Medi-Cal, the state’s Medicaid program, for care of the premature babies, according to the Los Angeles Times. The cost has not been disclosed.

Word of the public assistance has stoked the furor over Suleman’s decision to have so many children by having embryos implanted in her womb.

Harsh criticism toward the mother
    “It appears that, in the case of the Suleman family, raising 14 children takes not simply a village but the combined resources of the county, state and federal governments,” Los Angeles Times columnist Tim Rutten wrote in Wednesday’s paper. He called Suleman’s story “grotesque.”

On the Internet, bloggers rained insults on Suleman, calling her an “idiot,” criticizing her decision to have more children when she couldn’t afford the ones she had, and suggesting she be sterilized.

“It’s my opinion that a woman’s right to reproduce should be limited to a number which the parents can pay for,” Charles Murray wrote in a letter to the Los Angeles Daily News. “Why should my wife and I, as taxpayers, pay child support for 14 Suleman kids?”

She was also berated on talk radio, where listeners accused her of manipulating the system and being an irresponsible mother.

“From the outside you can tell that this woman was playing the system,” host Bryan Suits said on the “Kennedy and Suits” show on KFI-AM. “You’re damn right the state should step in and seize the kids and adopt

them out.”

Suleman’s spokesman, Mike Furtney, urged understanding.

“I would just ask people to consider her situation and she has been under a tremendous amount of pressure that no one could be prepared for,” Furtney said.

A call to Suleman’s publicist Mike Furtney was not immediately returned.

In her only media interviews, Suleman told NBC’s “Today” she doesn’t consider the public assistance she receives to be welfare and doesn’t intend to remain on it for long.

Also, a Nadya Suleman Family Web Site has been set up to collect donations for the children. It features pictures of the mother and each octuplet and has instructions for making donations by check or credit card.

Suleman, whose six older children range in age from 2 to 7, said three of them receive disability payments. She said one is autistic, but she has not disclosed the other youngsters’ disabilities, and refused to say how much they get in payments.

In California, a low-income family can receive Social Security payments of up to $793 a month for each disabled child. Three children would amount to $2,379.

The Suleman octuplets’ medical costs have not been disclosed, but in 2006, the average cost for a premature baby’s hospital stay in California was $164,273, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Eight times that equals $1.3 million.

For a single mother, the cost of raising 14 children through age 17 ranges from $1.3 million to $2.7 million, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who is struggling to close a $42 billion budget gap by cutting services, declined through a spokesman to comment on the taxpayer costs associated with the octuplets’ delivery and care.

Suleman received disability payments for an on-the-job back injury during a riot at a state mental hospital, collecting more than $165,000 over nearly a decade before the benefits were discontinued last year.

Some of the disability money was spent on in vitro fertilizations, which was used for all 14 of her children, Suleman said. Suleman said she also worked double shifts at the mental hospital and saved up for the treatments. She estimated that all her treatments cost $100,000.

Fourteen states, including California, require insurance companies to offer or provide coverage for infertility treatment, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. But California has a law specifically excluding in vitro coverage. It’s not clear what type of coverage Suleman has.

In the NBC interview, Suleman said she will go back to California State University, Fullerton in the fall to complete her master’s degree in counseling, and will use student loans to support her children. She said she will rely on the school’s daycare center and volunteers.