1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Controversy erupts after undocumented immigrant waves Mexican flag at graduation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Jun 20, 2015.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Wow, some people celebrate the heritage of their parents/ancestors. Is that in some way morally reprehensible?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'd hit it.

1 person likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

I love how waiving the flag that represents where your parent/ancestors came from within the borders of the United States must inherently mean that your intent was to disrespect the United States of America.

This country is full of some EASILY offended p*****s.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Outstanding post.

The bolded part is also known as doing "the Swoly".

1 person likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

The fact that she came here as a toddler, did everything right by doing well in school, graduating college etc and is still an illegal immigrant should be an indication on how poor U.S. immigration policy is. She deserves to be a citizen as much as any Confederate flag waiving trailer trash high school drop out.

6. fchowd0311

I honestly don't see how waving a flag inherently means 'rubbing it in the face' of the U.S. Are we that easily irked?

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This pretty much echoes the sentiment of most Mexicans that I have known that legally immigrated here. That said I could care less. I think the U.S. should greatly expand legal immigration.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage but I wouldn't be waving an American flag in Mexico if the roles were reversed. It doesn't come off as a classy move.

8. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Indeed. I agree. So why isn't she a citizen?

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Future president of the united nations of America.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Citizens wave their parents native country flag without controversy happens.

An illegal from infant achieve more than most under less favorable conditions through life waving a flag sent nut overboard. I think they just jealous and hate success.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i imagine waiving the flag of canada or the flag of norway or even the flag of trinidad and tobago, would make no one care in the least. but mexico..

12. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

political correctness is destroying this country.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Happens every ******* year on St. Patty's and Columbus Day.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No, that would be deficit spending, phone-based video games and reality television.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

You and I are in agreement, breh.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Look! Over there! Aren't you outraged?

(A short time later...)

Look! Over there! Aren't you outraged?

(Repeat ad infinitum while all kinds of crap is happening where you are not looking.)

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Most political and social discord is fundamentally a disagreement about priorities, so claiming people are distracted by a particular issue at the expense of one they care about (and are often on the "losing" side of) actually commits the same "sin" as fickle or disproportionate "outrage."

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Norway hasn't invaded with 10 million illegal immigrants scampering across the border at will.

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Given that the people b****ing were readers of the San Diego Union Tribune, I don't imagine they give much thought to the Confederate flag. It isn't an issue that comes up much out here in California.

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

- A student excels and graduates in four years from an American university.
    - She establishes a new program that benefits fellow students and said American university
    - She has been accepted into a master's program at an American university and plans on pursuing a doctorate at an American University.
    - Her research will improve the profile of these American universities and help this country build a better future for all those involved.

Yet you want to focus on and criticize her for holding up a flag for a few seconds?

Is she "gaming the system" or doing exactly what you would want an immigrant (undocumented or not) to do?

1 person likes this.