1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[contract extension] What is the big deal about Peyton Manning?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by what, Jan 23, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Yeah, the one year they had a top 5 defense, they won a title, go figure.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Actually, that defense was ranked 21 overall during the 2006 season. They did rank 2 against the pass but were dead last against the run.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

All-time QB Ratings:
    Tom Brady 95.2
    Peyton Manning 94.9
    Matt Schaub 91.5

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Actually the refs beat Seattle in the Superbowl

5. DonnyMost

Their defense gave up a playoff leading 238.5 yards per game.

So they went from mediocre to elite at the right time, it seems.

P.S. Speaking of 2007, how they lost that game to San Diego I'll never know... what a freaking team-wide choke job.

#45 DonnyMost, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

phillip rivers is even higher.

regardless, i think manning has been the best QB of his generation and there shouldn't even be any doubt.

no QB shoulders as much responsibilities as he does, and still product at the highest level. his teams have never had the greatest defenses (like brady, or ben have been blessed with--you've seen what brady has done when his team doesn't have a top D: no playoff win in a while).

the guy just keeps putting his team in the playoffs, regardless of who the new receivers are or whatever. and he still makes those guys good.

it got to him a little this year, but no QB would do what manning has been able to do if they switched position.

brady, ben, and a lot of QBs who have won in the past decade won b/c their D is ridiculously good. ben has won 3-4 title games when his passer ratings are in the freakin' 30s. or brady doesn't even have gaudy stats.

manning has had to play great for his teams to win. the year he struggled a little (like this year), his team didn't perform as well.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

not the point. have you ever associate the colts with "great defense?" in the past decade. i've never heard of it.

pats? yes
    steelers? yes
    giants? yes

rankings are misleading. look at the chargers this year.

if manning ever played for a team like the steelers or pats, he probably has like 5-6 super bowl rings right now.

8. Lil Pun

What are you trying to say with this post? :confused:???

9. Lil Pun

Is this a joke?

10. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Philip Rivers career QB rating is 97.2

Manning does deserve a phat contract , but also should be reasonable at the same time.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Why he struggled? because he didnt have his best receivers and rbs, and tight ends, all his career got great players like: reggie wayne, marvin harrison, dallas clark, edgerrin james, and in the defense, he has freeney and mathis.

Look at last year superbowl, the first half Freeney was playing like he wasnt hurt, and were winning by 10 points, then freeney starts to feel the pain, and lose by 14 pts.

and brady who got good? only randy moss. the other WRs and RBs are no-names.

Looks what happened with Deion Branch, plays with NE and wins the SB MVP, then he goes to Seattle and sucks, then he comes back to NE and plays great.

12. Major

Major Member

With all those no-name players this year, he threw for the most yards of his career and the 2nd most TDs... And in the process, he had guys like Austin Collie putting up numbers similar to Marvin Harrison, and Jacob Tamme putting up numbers similar to Dallas Clark.

That's kind of the point. You need a defense to win Superbowls. All 5 of the defenses in Brady and Big Ben's championship were top 5 defenses. Manning's wasn't even in the top 20. When Brady has had bad defenses, he hasn't won anything either.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

because if he was a free agent every team in the league would sign him to a max agreement.

14. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Most teams, but not every team.

15. Lil Pun

Corey Dillon wasn't a no-name running back.

16. Lil Pun

The only thing that irked me about that is when they were winning it was because of Peyton Manning and what he could do while his star players were out. When they were losing it is because of all the injuries he has to his star players. Too much credit and/or can't have it both ways.

Not necessarily true. The Saints won last year with a bottom 10 defense. The Patriots had a top 10 defense, not top 5 when they won their Super Bowls. It definitely helps win if you have a good defense though, as statistics will show, but it isn't impossible to win with a bad one.

17. DonnyMost

"Bad" is misleading.

The year the Saints, Colts, and Rams won, they had defenses that, while they gave up tons of yards, they created turnovers and were good inside the red zone.

Yards mean a lot, but they're not everything.

For example, the Eagles defense is typically very well respected, despite giving up yards, because they take risks and create pressure and cause turnovers.

18. Major

Major Member

Certainly - QB always get too much credit and too much blame, IMO. This applies both to Manning and Brady / BigBen.

The Patriots worst defense in their championship years was #6. I didn't mean to imply that you literally can't ever win a title with a bad defense - my bad on the wording there. Breees and Manning both did it. What I meant was that its very difficult - and those two get a whole lot of credit for pulling it off. It's easy to say that Manning should have multiple titles, but he hasn't the kinds of defenses that QBs with multiple titles have had. It's much harder to win when you have to carry the entire team.

Brady & BigBen haven't ever won when their teams had bad defenses - they are unquestionably clutch QBs who make big play after big play, probably moreso than Manning. But they also don't have the pressure of having to do everything for their teams because they know the other half of their team is just as good as or better than the offense.

19. Steve_Francis_rules

I don't really see how that's hypocritical. If Manning has to have a superhuman performance for his team to win, he should get a lot of credit when they win. If he has a very good, but still just "mere mortal" type of performance and they lose, it's not his fault. You can't expect anyone to be perfect all the time.

I do agree though that too much credit/blame is placed on individuals in team sports.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

LOL at OP....but when I was a kid and saw MJ on TV the first time (~84 or 86), I didn't get the big deal either...after all the superhype I had gathered from adults, I expected him to score every point and never miss :-D

With Brady and Manning, we're blessed to be watching two of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, and both probably end up being talked about as top 5 ever, if not in every discussion for best ever. I honestly believe Manning has to be in that debate.

You've got plenty of accomplishments, but there's also just the obvious - he toys with defenses and mind****s them at the line, he's proving that the Wayne/Harrison/Clark trio wasn't the secret to his success now that he's turning Collie and Garcon into stars.....this guy is just at a level of football IQ that is above most coaches.

The list of indivdual records he owns is absurd:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Manning#Regular_season

Finally, there's the even more absurd fact that the Colts have 10 wins or more in 11 of the 13 seasons he's been there, and eight of those have been 12+ win seasons. In the salary cap era, that's nothing short of insane.