1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Contest!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TB3, Sep 15, 2000.

Tags:
  1. TB3

TB3 Member

I propose a contest using realgm.com.

Who can devise the best trade scenario for the Rockets?

I will judge the first 10 contestants, and the winner will receive a laural, and hearty hankshake (apologies to Mel Brooks).

In the event I can't get 10 people interested in this topic during this slow news season, this post will automatically slide down the screen into oblivion.

------------------

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

AAAGH! Too much trouble.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hey, I already had one where we get Carter, Nowitzki, Jamison, Hughes for Williams, Drew, Rogers, Norris...that's not too bad, is it? It really works. [​IMG]

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Tried to get Garnett or Shaq, but then I would have had to trade Hakeem, and I just could not do it :).

5. cuttino

cuttino Contributing Member

OK - how about:

Houston gets:
    Jamal Crawford
    Ron Artest
    Elton Brand
    Marcus Fizer
    $2.159M Trade Exception

Chicago gets:
    Matt "Air" Bullard
    Bryce "Backstreet" Drew
    Carlos Rogers
    Walt Williams
    a year's supply of Rice-a-roni

This trade should help build a stronger bench for the home team. And Chicago would be gearing up for next season's free agent class, once Bullard's deal runs out. Plus, from what I hear, Krause loves rice-a-roni (as long as its covered in chocolate sauce, with whipped cream & sprinkles).

So when do I get my hankshake?????

------------------

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

WRONG FORUM, CONTEST TOPICS HAVE TO BE POSTED IN THE HANGOUT FORUM!!!

You have been warned

------------------
    "You look a team that's been to the mountaintop like the Houston Rockets, I'm going to put pressure on myself to be the best possible player that I can be. With the pieces they already have in place and myself, we can do some amazing things next season."

Maurice Taylor

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Ahem, how bout Air Bull, Backstreet Bryce, and KennyT. for Air CANADA. (+Alek Radojevic to even out salaries)

BEAT THAT

------------------
    The best is yet to come.
    Go Rockets!

8. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

How about Air Bull, Walt, Backstreet, and Rogers + portion of trade exception for Chris Webber?

You drop 3 3rd stringers, keep KT, and lose Walt's inflated contract. All that and Webber is IMHO better than the vastly overrated Carter.

EDIT: Throw Moochie into the mix and you can solidify the SF position with Stojakovic. I hate to lose Mooch, but Mobley can easily play back-up PG and Stojakovic would bring a lot more to the table than Mooch (or Walt for that matter) anyway.

[This message has been edited by Launch Pad (edited September 16, 2000).]

9. cuttino

cuttino Contributing Member

Okay, time to get serious:

Vancouver gets:
    Air Bullard
    Backstreet
    Jason Collier
    Carlos Rogers
    Kenny Thomas
    Walt Williams
    $1.580M Exception

Houston gets:
    Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    Stromile Swift

Now, who's your daddy????

------------------

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

BEAT THIS:

Clippers get:
    Matt Bullard
    Bryce Drew
    Carlos Rogers
    Walt Williams

Rockets get:
    Lamar Odom
    Darius Miles
    Corey Maggette
    Michael Olowokandi

I win! (at least for now)

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

11. Launch Pad

I'm proud that in all the trades mentioned so far, nobody has included Dream.

But what the heck, just to breathe a little more life into this thread, here are few trades to consider:

Hakeem for:
    Morning and Anthony Carter

or

Hakeem and part of the exception for:
    Garnett
    or
    Shaq.

My personal opinion is to stick with the trade proposal I made above for this illustrious contest, but is there anybody else out there that actually would trade Dream?

------------------

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

houston trades: Matt Bullard $2,100,000 to chicago
    houston trades: Bryce Drew $1,182,600 to chicago
    houston trades: Carlos Rogers $2,200,000 to chicago
    houston trades: Kenny Thomas $885,120 to chicago
    houston trades: Walt Williams $4,250,000 to clippers
    TOTAL: $10,617,720
    chicago trades: Ron Artest $1,160,760 to houston
    chicago trades: Elton Brand $3,629,160 to houston
    chicago trades: Marcus Fizer $1,708,000 to houston
    TOTAL: $6,497,920

clippers trades: Corey Maggette $1,353,960 to houston
    clippers trades: Darius Miles $2,841,720 to houston
    clippers trades: Lamar Odom $2,628,960 to houston
    TOTAL: $6,824,640

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to all teams being under the cap, the 15% trade rule is not invoked. No team had to be within 15% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining agreement.

houston had to use a portion of their trade exemption of $1,700,000 for this trade to go through.
    --------------------
    Brand, Fizer, Artest, Maggette, Miles, Odom for Bull, Drew, Rogers, Thomas, Williams

Francis, Norris
    Anderson, Mobley, Artest
    Odom, Miles, Maggette
    Brand, Fizer, Taylor
    Cato, Olajuwon, Collier
    ------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited September 16, 2000).]

13. Launch Pad

Lamar Odom - good pick-up, but he's no Webber or Shareef or Carter.

Darius Miles - unproven, underweight, undeveloped.

Corey Maggette - a flashy, undersized small forward without 3 point range who doesn't rebound or play defense well.

Michael Olowokandi - this was #1 draft pick?!

Sorry, you most definitely do not win and neither will the Clippers [​IMG]

------------------

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hakeem for Shaq.

Nuff said.

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

[This message has been edited by DaDakota (edited September 16, 2000).]

15. The Cat

Lamar Odom- potential to be one of the top 10 players in the game. Unbelievable skill and talent, and can play 4 positions. Would be the PERFECT fit on the Rockets.

Darius Miles- everyone here was drooling over this guy before the draft. Has MVP type potential.

Corey Maggette- read above. Explosive, and can hit the J and defend. (he DOES play defense well) Potential superstar.

Michael Olowokandi- has the potential to be a very solid center in the NBA. Not a star most likely, but he definitely can and will improve into a legit NBA center- maybe a 11/9 type guy with a few blocks.

I'd MUCH rather get all four of those over Webber, Rahim, or Carter. No doubt about it. In fact, I would want Odom alone a lot more than Rahim and in about the same neighborhood as Vince. IMO, no trade proposal has come even CLOSE to that.

------------------
    ClutchTown.com

1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

16. Lewie221

Lewie221 Member

ummm sorry, did i miss something? u would rather have odom over rahim??? u must be one of those fans that just listens to the media and doesnt actually watch games...Lamar Odom, IMO is way over rated(almost as high as t-mac) and Reefa is waay under rated, he is possibly one of the best F's in the game... 'Nuff said

------------------
    The Rockets Championship in 2001...Be-Steve-it

17. Launch Pad

Ah, the "P" word - Potential.

Carter, Webber, and quite arguably Abdur-Rahim already are amongst the top 10 players in the game. You know the saying: A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.
    Everybody here was drooling over Cato last preseason and now half the people here hate him.

Almost nobody here has actually seen Miles play (not many rabid high school b-ball fans [​IMG] ). Have you? And if so, how many times?
    Okay, I live in Florida and watch the Magic. He does not play D well and will never be a superstar. At 6'5", he's too short to be a SF and doesn't shoot well enough to be a shooting guard.
    11/9 with a few blocks does not sound like what I expect from a #1 pick. No thanks. I'd rather take my chances with Cato.
    First and foremost, it's pretty myopic to even suggest that Odom is better than Abdur-Rahim at this stage of his career. Look at their stats. Watch them play. There's no comparison.

Second, you say you'd "rather get all four of those over Webber, Rahim, or Carter. " Of course, you're pulling a George Dubb-uh-ya there by leaving out half the facts to make your point [​IMG] . You can't say that your package is better than part of someone else's. You have to compare all the players proposed in each trade.

Det the Threat gave you Nowitzki, Jamison, Hughes, and Carter (a much better foursome than your proposal).

cuttino gave you Abdur-Rahim and Stromile Swift (a star and a guy with as much, if not more, potential than any of the guys you mentioned).

I gave you Webber and Stojakovic (a superstar and an above average starter quality SF, both of which can actually shoot unlike 3 of the 4 guys you proposed).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Launch Pad (edited September 16, 2000).]

18. The Cat

The point is to make ONE trade, which Det the threat didn't. Lewie, I DO watch the games. In my opinion, Odom is VERY underrated. He does so many things well on the court. He will be unstoppable in a few years. Bank on it. As for Olowokandi, I'm not drafting him #1 here. I'm getting a good NBA center, something there aren't many of, for very cheap in this package. Of course Miles can be a bust. Anyone can. But there's a reason every NBA scout in the business was drooling over even getting a shot at Miles. I'd love to have this kid. Maggette is 6'6 by the way. You probably do have a slightly better opinion on him than me, but I did watch him A LOT at Duke and he has always in my opinion had phenomenal talent. I know what you're trying to say, but nevertheless I'd still much rather have those 4 than any of the other packages besides Det the Threat's, which shouldn't count since it was multiple trades.

------------------
    ClutchTown.com

1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

19. Gascon

Gascon Member

I wouldn't give a box of Wheaties to the Lakers to have Shaq on my team. I prefer to like the players on my team. Shaq should stay in LA...it'll be so much fun beating him.

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, I did. It's a four-way-trade, so I would say that that's ONE trade scenario - no guy gets traded twice in this, and it works.

But guys, I think you are starting to take this a bit too seriously [​IMG].