1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Contact lenses: what do you wear?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vwiggin, Nov 17, 2006.

1. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Man, I'm so sick of my glasses (and I'm too chicken for Lasik).

May I ask what type of contact lenses people wear? What type/brand do you like and why did you pick that particular type?

I have sensitive, dried eyes. So I would be willing to spend a little bit more money on the good brands if money makes a difference.

Thanks!

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I'm down with Acuvue Advance with Hydraclear

these are two week disposable Toric lenses for Astigmatism..

I have dry sensitive eyes as well, and these seem to be the most comfortable...
    I used to use Focus Toric, but they burned too much and I was always getting infections...

I would stick with glasses if you have sensitive eyes.... its always a battle with lenses

3. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

acuvue 2 (disposable), the eye doctor pointed out the specific brand

the doctor usually chooses the brand catered to your needs

4. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I find Day and Nights to be the most comfortable.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Accuvue 2. I want to get Lasik, but I'm spending cash on other priorities right now.

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I wear semi-soft gas permeable. Don't get them it takes forever to get used to them. i can pretty much wear them for about 16 hours but I have been doing it for 20 years. I have an eye problem that keeps me from wearing the disposables.

7. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I wear Optix O2. These are the only contacts I have ever been able to wear all day.

I hear Night and Days flow much more air though, and if I knew this beforehand I probably would have given these a try first.

8. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I keep my contacts in for 30 straight days and have no irritation whatsoever. After the month I just toss them and get a new pair. There is no night that goes by where I dont wear my contacts. I dont even own contact solution.

The airflow is great. My eyes dont get red and they don't feel dry. I dont know why more people dont use these.

Last year my doctor gave me these new silicon material contacts. He said you can sleep in them and are just as effective as Day and Nights but are a lot cheaper. Not only could I not keep them in my eye for more than 10 hours a day, they wouldnt even last me the full month; they would tear so easily. I went through a 2 year supply in 8 months.

He sure saved a me a lot of money :mad:

9. Billyp

Billyp Contributing Member

I tried Acuvue 2 for awhile but they always kept getting dried out on me. Now I'm using Acuvue 2 Oasis and they work great. I'd recommend asking your doc about trying them.

10. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Disposible (2wk)Accuvue 2. I want to get Lasik, but I'm not too crazy about having a laser jammed in my eye.

11. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Remember that everybody has a different set of eyes and that certain materials/brands will work better for you than it will for other people. Some factors that go into the right fit are the steepness of your corneas (measured by a corneal topographer), the type of vision you need correction for (astigmatism, myopia, etc.), the severity of your Rx, and your eye's reaction to certain lens materials.

I have extremely dry eyes (so dry that I'm not a candidate for lasic) and can only wear ProClear lenses by Cooper Vision. The lens is available in standard spheric, toric, and multifocal. This was the original lens material for dry eyes. The makers of Acuvue and a few other lens companies have designed similar lenses (as some people have already named).

Night & Day lenses are good, but some people tend to abuse the lenses and wear them for longer than they are supposed to. This is very dangerous.

Be patient when you get fitted into CCLs. Once you have a fitting, you have a 90 day period to make adjustments to the Rx and to the lens type.

On average, most CCL exams will be around $90-125 based on the fitting you need.

Good luck :cool:

12. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

One more note:

You don't "pick" the lens you wear. The doctor prescribes you a specific brand and you can only purchase that brand. If a doctor just asks you want brand you want (if you've never worn it before) then you probably want to try a different doctor the next year. Its always best for you to ask the doctor what lens brand is best for you and why.

13. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Acuvue 2

the doctor gave me acuvue advance to try and i didnt like it

14. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Same here. They were moving around all over the place.

15. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Man, I'm learning a lot of good stuff here, thanks!

I didn't know that you needed a doctor to do a exam. That's how ignorant I am. :(

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Acuvue Toric 66. My vision is pretty bad (-5.5) but with contacts I'm 20/20. Still waiting for my eyes to stabilize so I can get Lasik.