1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Consider this

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Since75, May 19, 2008.

1. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

consider this: you can't package a player with a TE.

2. Since75

Since75 Member

3. Since75

Since75 Member

So this makes him a Punk? I hope you never make a mistake and someone suffers for it. You need to remember that the manner in which you judge will be the same manner you are judged whatever the wrong is.

4. Since75

Since75 Member

Yet another smart ass. How about just correcting me instead of trying to belittle or be facetious?

5. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I'll do it.

But will Kings and Nuggets managament do it?

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. Actually it does. He had multiple traffic violations for doing the exact same thing. He thinks the rules don't apply to him and, as a result, his reckless behavior caused the death of a friend. I've made many mistakes, but none put the lives of a friend (or even a stranger) in danger.

On top of that, most decent human beings would grow up after being responsible for such a tragedy. Nobody in Denver seems to be accusing JR Smith of having done any maturing at all.

As to your last point, I'm completely fine with being judged in that manner. In fact, I think I should be. But is that some biblical scripture you're throwing my way?

7. lastmanstanding

I'd do it but the respective teams wouldn't. But two hot heads is always a risky proposition.

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Off topic- Wouldnt want to believe things you say after you claimed a 6-6 Brandon Roy was a point guard and that a 6-3 Sergio for Portland was a shooting guard

9. Since75

Since75 Member

And as a result of what you feel and obviously believe, he and any other individual is doomed to be whatever they've done wrong for the rest of their lives. I never believe what the media says nor what other people say about someone. I choose to believe what I see. I see that the kid can shoot the basketball. I haven't heard anything to dispute that, nor have I seen any instances of horrible behavior on his part since that tragic incident.

In regards to my statement being some sort of biblical scripture, your response tells me all I need to know about you. Let's keep it about basketball.

10. Williamson

I didn't claim he was a point guard, I claimed he played point guard for them at times. He does. I was way off on Rodriguez. I'm not sure who or what I was thinking of.

If you question my credibility that's fine, but I think it safe to say that I have more of it around here than you do.

11. Williamson

I choose to believe what I see too. I see a guy who killed one of his best friends and hasn't seemed to have changed at all since.

However, as for thinking my opinion of him cannot change. That's a false assumption. I hope the kid does grow up and learn from his mistakes. I hope he becomes the best person and player he can be. I'm just not seeing it/hearing about it/reading about it. By all accounts, he's worn his welcome out in Denver since that incident. As such, I see absolutely no reason to see him any differently than I did upon reading about that horrible incident.

You're just wrong if you think I wish him ill. I simply don't want any part of the kid until he shows some signs of maturing. We've already been down that route with Eddie Griffin (R.I.P.) and I don't want to see the Rockets go down it again.

But I'm done discussing this, because my point was simply that people are more than justified in calling JR Smith a punk. You refuse to address his off court problems, however, and instead of defending JR Smith, you're attacking me. In defending myself, I've probably already wandered into territory that has no place on this board and I won't go one step further.

#31 Williamson, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  12. hasheesh

hasheesh Member

explain to me how you guys all know that J.R Smith hasn't matured as a man because of the car accident situation? Is it because he still shoots ill advised threes and still looks like a thug? what did you expect him to transform into Tim Duncan after the event?

sometimes I wonder how people can honestly critique a person's character based off a few media articles and the way they play on the court.... maybe you know something I don't know about J.R's terrible immaturity, so enlighten me please.

13. Since75

Since75 Member

My point exactly. We don't know and therefore we shouldn't write the kid off. I don't condone or condemn anyone. I have to believe that the kid has remorse for the incident and guess what? He has to live with it for the rest of his life, not us. Again my only thoughts are about his bball ability which he has plenty. His potential upsided thus far is certainly alot greater than his downsided as it relates to basketball.

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Well, I'm not out to hurt anyone's feelings, but there are so many trade threads popping up every other minute that I prefer them to be well thought out. That includes knowing that the trade is actually possible. I mean, there's a trade checker on ESPN.com that will basically do the work for you.

You won't convince me that it's too much to ask. Sorry.

As for the trades (if it were possible)...

- Artest has stated that he wants to stay in Sacramento. Getting him for anything less than an impact player is far from likely.
    - I'm not sure why Denver would go with the Head/TE for Smith trade. J.R. has proven to actually be a viable 3rd option in the playoffs. Luther Head has done nothing. The 2.3 TE is not exactly big money.
    - If we could sign Azubuike for what you propose, I would be giddy.
    - Overall I think this definitely could have gone in the "What do the Rockets do?" thread posted by Clutch.

15. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

I agree

16. sook

sook Rookie

J.R Smith is a VERY streaky shooter, has a lot to develop on and it WOULD be awesome to get him...why would Denver want heaD?

17. Williamson

First, his appearance has nothing to do with it. Many of my friends are covered in tattoos. I am completely indifferent to tattoos.

As to enlightening you, that isn't hard to do:

Let's start with this so as we can rule out the possibility that the tragic death of his friend was "just an accident" and not the direct result of his reckless behavior:

"Smith's driver's license had been suspended five times in less than a year but was "in good standing" at the time of Saturday's crash, according to New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission spokesman Kevin Cranston."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/nuggets/2007-06-12-smith-license_N.htm

This quote from the Rocky Mountain News is just funny.

"The last time those two met in the Finals, young J.R. Smith of the Nuggets was still teething, not that he has matured much since."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/apr/18/lincicome-somehow-nuggets-will-get-job-done/

"Our first subject is J.R. Smith, the exceptionally talented if often troubled shooting guard who has spent much of his time in Denver in head coach George Karl's doghouse."

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2008/05/nuggets-offseason-jr-smith.html

"J.R. also has been the main character of several team-related arguments, including a feud with coach George Karl and a disagreement with Edaurdo Najera."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21502-Should-The-Denver-Nuggets-Trade-J-R-Smith--050508

"Smith apologized to his teammates after practice Thursday. He told them, "I'm not trying to be a team cancer.""

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/16/is-trouble-brewing-for-j-r-smith-in-denver/

"Smith is a talented and terribly troubled 22-year-old. He’s engulfed by trouble, and his NBA career teeters on the edge of a cliff."

http://www.gazette.com/sports/smith_29666___article.html/nba_one.html

"J.R. has broken through the ice and is now treading the icy water of the Denver Nuggets and their patience.
    "

http://nuggdoctor.blogspot.com/2007/10/welcome-to-jr-smith-circus.html

"Smith allegedly tore up a club and caused someone injuries which required an ambulance."

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/21/j-r-smiths-suspension-explained/

And my personal favorite:

"Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith ran afoul of the law by pouring champagne on a woman at a nightclub, then briefly apologizing before spitting on her, shoving her and tearing her dress, court records show."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5730482,00.html

Is that enough evidence?

P.S. I did not include any negative article or quote about him from prior to the 07-08 season since we are specifically discussing whether or not he has matured since his friends death.

18. Since75

Since75 Member

I mentioned this in another post. The Rox would have to add a 2nd rd. pick. The assumption would be a Snt with Luther's contract plus the TE. Evidently the TE can't be packaged therefore this wouldn't work. Luther is only included for salary purposes. His contract ends next year and I felt the the TE , his expiring contract and draft pick might be enticing as opposed to losing Smith outright.

19. Since75

Since75 Member

I agree and I'm not offering excuses. I use the trade checker all the time, however, I can't use it with the scenario I proposed. As for Artest his stating he wants to stay may just be him posturing. Sacramento is not a playoff team in the west and I don't think they will be even if he stays. It would appear to me that he would relish the idea to go to a contender and get paid as well. I believe Battier and a 1st Rd pick is plenty considering that Artest will expire after the coming season and they get nothing.

I believe Azubuike will not get much more than what Chuck Hayes is currently getting. While he may play more minutes he still has only had one decent season. 4 -7 mil over 3 years is a solid raise and he's only 25 years old.

20. fayesun

fayesun Member

too easy to get those, nice dream