1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conley still thinking about meeting w/ Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Levi, Jun 30, 2016.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bosh and Melo both went in our favor, actually.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

and D'Antoni.

4. varughese.arun

Dude... THIS IS THE VETERAN PG WE NEED!
    Yall who think he can't play with Harden is caught up in the Media hype about playing along side harder

5. teknokid

teknokid Member

Conley has to play off the ball. Does he do that well?

6. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I wouldn't call Conley a "good shooter". He is an above average shooter... which sadly would make him our best shooter if he came here (until Bazegod signs).

7. Rocket_Man_2.0

Give him whatever he wants..Rockets have no choice! If the Rockets suck again Harden will definitely leave!:We only have two years! Rockets should at least be able to pull in Conley! Harden and Conley are perfect fit!:eek:

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I've said from the beginning Conley would be my #1 target....
    Durant aint happenin...
    Horford would be nice... but for the pricetag, I'd be ok w DMo/Beas/Harrell at pf for less...
    Whiteside is too much of a headcase gamble and we only need someone to split time with Capella...
    Batum, again would b nice... but is the pricetag worth the upgrade?

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Conley could be a stabilizing force for this team with strong leadership and he'll allow Harden to play off the ball more. Our turnovers would plummet; Conley takes excellent care if the ball. He's gonna give you 18/7 while shooting about 37% from 3 and playing good defense. Very little downside to maxing out Conley in this market. Morey needs to get this done, especially if Bledsoe and Rubio are not going to be had easily.

10. tzou88

tzou88 Member

I love Conley as much as the next guy, but I just don't think he's coming here. Glad to eat crow though...

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

I don't understand how you as a free agent, will not just meet with everyone and see what they have to say. Unless you really hate the place, the team or their situation does not allow for them to really sign you.

12. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I wanted either Conley or George Hill for our PG given Harden's skillset. I'm really hoping we get this guy. DaDakota's comment regarding chemistry doesn't make sense to me. Among the elite PG's, this guy seems to the best suited to playing with Harden.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Horford and Conley let's do it

14. Rocket_Man_2.0

Rockets need smart mature high IQ basketball players who can shoot! Conley and Horford would make us contenders!:eek: Pay whatever...just get them in a Rockets uniform!

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This. The fact he is considering a meeting with the Rockets after meeting other teams means either he is using Houston for negotiating leverage(likely) or he is okay with Houston but doesn't love it and thus we are a 3rd or 4th option. Just doesn't seem likely.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

If you're gonna get the max regardless of where you go... you prob already have your preferences in mind as far a locations and team makeup... why sit and listen to a bunch of other execs try to give you a hard sell...

17. malakas

malakas Member

it's very simple. Like you want to turn down a guy but want to be nice and not hurt his feelings.
    "I'm considering" meeting you for a date.
    Time passes guy is waiting on the phones, and you still considering until you have found someone else. Who either can offer you more ($) or is better looking (organisation) Spurs.

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

That's why I said, the place .i.e. location or the team...so in other words: he does not like Houston and or the team so he's not coming.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If you pay Conley max money, you are basically saying he is a Chauncey Billups, NBA Finals MVP level player. That is basically the role you would be asking him to fill.
    Plus on top that, it not like Conley is some Artest/Kahwi level defender will shut down the other teams best player.

Let's say you pay Conley the max to "lead the defense", then where you getting the money to fill in the other 70 points on offense you need to fill to help out Harden.

Let me put this in perspective, in 9 seasons:

Mike Conley has scored more than 30 points in a game only 5 times in his career.
    Mike Conley has scored more than 25 points in a game only 26 times in his career.
    Mike Conley has netted more than 10 assists in a game only 50 times in his career.
    (Harden (the ballstopper) has 53 such games since joining the Rockets or in 4 seasons.)
    Conley best season average for assists was 6.5 in 2012 and he has not bested it since, plus his TO's have increased since then.

Now I get it, that you're not paying him to be the offense (that is Harden). But if the guy is going to be paid the max and be the #2 star, you need him to be capable to give you a great offensive game some of the time and frankly he cannot.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.