1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congresswoman Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jan 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Ronald Reagan was a "libpig"? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, only the Amelia Bedelia-like idiots on the right wing would think figurative speech was meant to be taken literally.

And apparently they only believe that it should be taken literally retroactively.

I invite you, ROXRAN to join those of us who can tell figurative speech from literal speech. You'll find a lot more comprehension in your daily life when do this.

3. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Garrison Keillor - Kill All The Republicans

Thirty-two percent of the population identifies with the GOP, and if we cut off health care to them, we could probably pay off the deficit in short order,” Keillor wrote.

Link

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

NASA tools should be airlocked with the rest of the garbage.

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

yea, but obviously others ARE stupid enough to take the volatile extreme rhetoric literally. . .Obama is part of this.

6. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Such a tragedy, but at least the one positive that has come out of this is that republicans have been shown to be the baby killers that they are. This thread proves that doesn't it?

[​IMG]

7. ROXRAN

Franchiseblade lives in a wonderful world where a nutjob is capable of mentally processing the nature, classification, order, and brevity of volatile rhetoric,...
    a wonderful world where nutjobs such as the one who shot the congresswoman can selectively decipher extreme volatile rhetoric and to quantify such as either figurative or literal,...as well as a quantitative measurement of intention and meaning. . .

I invite Franchiseblade to indignify all forms of extreme volatile rhetoric, (whether supposed literal or figurative) starting with Obama.

8. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Sandra Bernhard issued a blistering warning to Sarah Palin during a performance of her new one-woman show.

The Republican V.P. nom would be "gang-raped by my big black brothers" if she enters Manhattan, Bernhard said. Palin is said to be making a campaign stop in New York next week.

Link

9. SamFisher

I wonder what he would think about the jacktard who started this thread:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=154975&highlight=obama

10. ROXRAN

I would show him my liberal card, and he would give me a "figurative" excuse pass with a wink and pat on the back, then I'd be on my merry way...peace.

11. SamFisher

So your "Obama and his supporters are a bunch of nazis" thing is literal or figurative, you need to explain in case some crazy *******, present company excluded, is reading this.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't realize Sandra Bernhard was the former governor of Manhattan.

13. ROXRAN

. . . This is so sickening...of course this will get a pass

14. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

With only the barest outline of events available, pundits and reporters seemed to agree that the massacre had to be the fault of the tea party movement in general, and of Sarah Palin in particular. Why? Because they had created, in New York Times columnist Paul Krugman's words, a "climate of hate."

The critics were a bit short on particulars as to what that meant. Mrs. Palin has used some martial metaphors—"lock and load"—and talked about "targeting" opponents. But as media writer Howard Kurtz noted in The Daily Beast, such metaphors are common in politics. Palin critic Markos Moulitsas, on his Daily Kos blog, had even included Rep. Gabrielle Giffords's district on a list of congressional districts "bullseyed" for primary challenges. When Democrats use language like this—or even harsher language like Mr. Obama's famous remark, in Philadelphia during the 2008 campaign, "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun"—it's just evidence of high spirits, apparently. But if Republicans do it, it somehow creates a climate of hate.

There's a climate of hate out there, all right, but it doesn't derive from the innocuous use of political clichés. And former Gov. Palin and the tea party movement are more the targets than the source.

American journalists know how to be exquisitely sensitive when they want to be. As the Washington Examiner's Byron York pointed out on Sunday, after Major Nidal Hasan shot up Fort Hood while shouting "Allahu Akhbar!" the press was full of cautions about not drawing premature conclusions about a connection to Islamist terrorism. "Where," asked Mr. York, "was that caution after the shootings in Arizona?"

Link

15. Raven

Raven Member

He's absolutely right.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what does invoking "second amendment remedies" to a situation mean in a figurative sense?

That's not a cliche. That's not saying we'll bring a gun to a knife fight or even "reload".

17. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

extremism runs rampant in both sides.

since da whooper has taken the liberty of posting one side, I shall take the liberty of posting the other.

I actually personally don't think of this as a right vs left affair, but hey, why spoil the fun? The thread's been derailed so terribly anyways, which is a pity.

let's start with the self-evident ones...

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the euro demise is rather a foregone conclusion already....what's more interesting to follow is the ticking time bomb, japan

any word on who the shooter's accomplice might be? i saw something about another guy hanging out at the safeway prior to the shooting who police deemed "a person of interest"

19. Northside Storm

basically, we gotta look into the sickness that pervades human minds and warps them to such terrible degrees. that sickness can come from any extreme form of ideology.

20. Northside Storm

as with all things in life, moderation is key. any belief system can become poison in the hands of the wrong individual.