1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congresswoman Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jan 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure where you get the idea he was more of a left wing extremist than a right wing one. The list of books included Mein Kampf, and an Ayn Rand book. I don't think much could be gleamed from that.

We also don't know if he was connected with the tea party or not. He could have been or maybe not. We do know that his issues with the currency echo that of some tea party supporters.

I don't think there is really enough information to connect him with one side or the other. I do agree we should look at the rhetoric being used in the political arena.

Again there is only one side of the political spectrum that has extremists literally suggesting violence as a remedy when elections don't work out the way they want.

2. Landlord Landry

Lets be honest. Extremist on the right and left have more in common than what separates them.

although, the amoumt of hatred between the spectrum saddens me. we are all Americans.

**** politics. go Chiefs.

1 person likes this.
  3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

da Whopper is on fire in this thread.

FB, and the others attempting to blame (or connect) this senseless atrocity on Sarah Palin or the Tea Party have been exposed.

well done, dW.

classy comments by the speaker.

1 person likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You are correct that there is commonality in extremists by both sides. However, I don't think we should ignore the fact that only one side talks in literal terms about using weapons and violence to change the result of elections.

I will say that it was a classy and civil move on the part of the Republican speaker of the house to postpone business as usual for the upcoming week. That's the kind of demonstration of respect that help correct the extreme rhetoric from both sides of the political spectrum.

As I said, it isn't about laying blame on what happened on one side or the other but rather about taking the opportunity to examine rhetoric and make improvements going forward.

But looking at that rhetoric should force an honest inventory of where the most extreme examples of that rhetoric is coming from. If we want to move beyond it, we shouldn't ignore that only one side is providing the most extreme examples. Both sides should identify, and isolate those that are guilty of providing the most extreme rhetoric.

It is sad that in light of this tragedy there are those who don't want to condemn the the most extreme examples of the rhetoric but rather to excuse it, or pretend that both sides are doing the same thing.

5. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

The disappointment from the left and the leftist media is pretty obvious. They wanted this shooter to be a middle aged Christian white male ticked off about taxes instead of a pot smoking 20 something atheist with psychiatric issues. But their default narrative is so powerful that can't totally leave it alone, so it's still the fault of Palin and The Tea Party.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I bet Venus on the Half-Shell is one of his favorite books as well.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Truly sad for the unfortunate victims of this tragedy.

Appalling that some in this thread are celebrating and backslapping each other for using the tragedy for political points.

8. Landlord Landry

I have a lot of respect for you. Honestly I do....so take this with no personal offense.

but gtfo.

I'm not here to point fingers.

1 person likes this.
  9. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. Classic

Classic Member

The kid is reading The Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf in his spare time. This kid is psychotic and has fringe written all over him just like Timothy McVeigh and the Columbine kids. Can't blame the current talking heads for those incidents.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

YES! You are so smart! Did you go to Harvard or something?

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Based on interviews with former classmates or neighbors they say his views were leftist / liberal. Doesn't make much sense but it's clear that he's not the prototypical right-winger tea-party follower here.

13. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I agree that he's not typical right-wing from early reports, but why would he shoot a Democrat then? Also one that has had threats against her in the past over issues like the health care bill. The senator asked Palin and her types to tone down the narrative last year when the threats first appeared and yet they never do. Beck, Limbaugh, Palin and a host of others spew their trash about revolution and taking their country back all the time. Most flirt with the line and some like Rush cross it. Its time for that idiocy to come to an end. It is irresponsible at the least.

I don't think Palin wanted the woman shot, but her talk doesn't help it. The climate we live in right now is a tricky one and they make it worse. The left isn't as guilty as the right is in this respect. Maybe that's why they're viewed as weak. If you ask me, Palin should stand by her rhetoric. There was a political movement last year that had a favorite saying, "Man Up!" I wish I could remember who was affiliated with that slogan.......

If this piece of $#!+ had a connection to video games or music, these politicians would be all over this. Instead, they want to not get politics involved. Where's the push for legislation against punditry?

14. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

No, but the Unabomber did.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Wait... so did Mark Zuckerberg.... Oh my God!! This goes deeper than I thought it did... Facebook is nothing but a front for terrorist activities!!! It all makes sense now...

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

First the Discovery left wing terrorist, now this wacko from the left...O my. Be prepared,..if you know what I mean. . .
    I ultimately place corresponding blame on inflammatory rhetoric from the Obama-Pelosi-Reid machine though.

Peace. . .

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Using this to score political points for Muslims or strikes against the Tea Party seems pretty far fetched and weaksauce.

18. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

This

You know if the guy was Muslim those people here would've said how he doesn't represent islam but as soon as it came out that his white without know who he represent they already labeled him a tea party member.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Which is why I wasn't saying that his political leanings one way or another had anything to do with what he did. I wasn't trying to blame someone for this incident. I was saying that regardless of what his leanings are we could use this as a time to examine where political discourse in general is headed in this country, and look at the extremes.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Who in this thread labeled him a tea party member? Can you be more specific in pointing how where the hypocrisy was in this thread?