1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congratulations to Gov Newsom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 13, 2021.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hell yeah, Os!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AOC 2024!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. edwardc

edwardc Member

I see your point but without any proof those that keep believing that the elections or fraudulent shouldn't be voting anyway they are nitwits.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya but the GOP is playing with fire that will burn the entire country down. These people who believe the elections are now irrelevant and fraudulent aren't just going to sit down abd ignore it. Ya, they won't vote but they also disproportionately believe that firearms are the solution to government tyranny. That's scary and hence why the GOP needs to police their own and avoid those who still repeat those claims.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Republicans are wasteful pigs

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol if anyone thinks this was legit. You're as dumb as the people who think the election was stolen from Trump

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

We have already seen that they will not police their own they all speak about being patriots but have no clue how to be one.

Invisible Fan and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Gotta give him credit. It didnt look great a few weeks ago but Newsome pulled it off.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

To be honest. It had little to do with Newsom. It had everything to do with who the alternative was. Newsom has very little support outside of "he isn't a right wing nut job".

He is a governor who is very likely to be challenged from the left and lose when the actual governor election happens.

#169 fchowd0311, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The polling in the race went from within the margin of error to a 30 point blowout in the space of a month. That. Is. Incredible.

I think what sunk Elder, besides him being way too much of a straightline republican, is the national reputation republicans have cultivated for themselves over the past year.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I take nothing for granted when it comes to politics. trump's ruinous 4 years in office, despite having a long documented history of horrific behavior that made Ms. Clinton almost look like a saint in comparison, proved that anything is possible in an election. Yes, Newsom did have some politically awkward moments prior to the recall, to put it mildly. No doubt about it.

Despite that, the odds were very much in his favor going into this absurd California recall election. Absurd because it is far too easy to have one there. Ironically, it's impossible to boot Abbott out of office, a nightmare as governor of Texas, the same way. Having said all that, the fact is that Newsom still could have lost. I'm damn glad he didn't.

12. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The extreme stances on abortion and anti-mask policies are in high contrast to that of most Californian voters. Tying Elder et al. to these policies was huge. The lack of a quality candidate was also part of the result. Additionally, the poor reasons for the recall (French laundry, lockdowns, etc.) played in here too.

What I'm curious about is Newsom's future. He was previously on a path to Washington but this makes me wonder if his political capital was spent on this charade or does his overwhelming defense make him a stronger candidate in the forthcoming elections?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

12% seems too low for a recall. No wonder CA leads the nation in Gov recall attempts.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If he exits with budget surpluses like Jerry Brown, then he can certainly run for national office with his looks.

He'd have to spar with Kamala (assuming she loses the first time) so I'm guessing they already have some prearranged deal

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I keep hearing this narrative, and yeah, I lived it technically in CA, but it's not incredible. Nobody was taking this recall or the question seriously -- most rando people didn't even think it was possible, even with it having been scheduled -- until within the last month.

It's hard to explain if you don't live in this stupid, nutty, live-for-the-week place, so let me try to explain.

~~~~~ [entering time machine to voter X's apartment in Culver City] ~~~~~
    5 weeks ago, laughing bong hit through nose: braaaahhhhh. *snort* no way dude. Yeah, like ... I would totally recall him! We could have like some other non-Arnold guy? Maybe one of his, like, movie costars who kicks ass? Yes, I can stay on hold. Do I have time to get a snack though?

3 weeks ago: oh hey, you sound familiar. And ya know, this might really happen? I'm not sure I know what you're talking about but my friend Jim will know. I'm not sure how I would vote if we have like a one question election. That's a lot of pressure, you know? Wait, there are two questions? I am, like, so confused right now. I'm going to hang up. Sorry, brah.

1 week ago: Oh hell nah. We don't need some looney right now. Gavin's... whatever... but Christ, where do people come up with this crap?

ryan_98 and DonnyMost like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's really really stupid, like our ballot initiatives out here. HUGE waste of $, time, and energy that could have all been used better (for all involved, including all my buddies on the right, middle, and left). Just SMDH, and it will happen again, because it can, and it worked once with Arnold.

Deckard likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Arnold is a special case. He has more votes than the "NO" vote on recall. It was a legitimate recall. But CA recall rule is such that if Arnold had only 20% of the vote or less than half of the "NO" vote, he would still be the new Gov. Perhaps CA should adopt a Arnold rule. To successfully recall a Gov, you need both > 50% "YES" and the leading replacement candidate must have more votes than the "NO" vote (throw in ranked choice voting to make it fairer).

B-Bob, ryan_98 and Deckard like this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

Fwiw,

this was the 5th recall attempt against Newsom; the first 4 attempts didn’t collect enough signatures to warrant a recall election. It had appeared that the 5th attempt would follow the same fate.

then COVID happened.

using COVID as the extenuating circumstance, the recall petitioners requested an extension of time to collect the signatures. The court granted a 4-mo extension; w the extension, the petitioners were able to collect enough signatures for a recall election.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member