1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congratulations to Gov DeSantis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jul 31, 2021.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I know all of this. I also know NYC got hit hard. So it is understandable that government and people would take measures, "to do something".

Unfortunately, a respiratory virus cares a lot less about most of these measures than one would think.

But I understand the psychology of why it had to be done at the time.

However, it's time to let go now.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What is happening now? We were just in New York. With the exception of masks being required at Broadway shows, I didn't have to wear a mask or show my vaccine card at any restaurant or hotel.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He openly told a bunch of the party hierarchy and donors that he will not run against Trump under any circumstance. He's not taking Trump on, he's waiting until after, given that he's 32 years younger, it's not exactly a rush

JayGoogle likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It would be smart of him to wait or maybe he gets lucky and the Dems prosecute Trump and try to bar him from holding office again, which might be around 20% likely at this point? Who knows. I think they have enough to do so, the Georgia call is enough IMO to prove he was trying to overturn the election but I don't think they have the balls to do it and don't want to make a political martyr out of Trump and basically give Desantis (Or anyone else) a pretty clear path to office. It's going to take a lot of political capital to get away with doing that even if many feel (even among the GOP) that they have enough there to do it.

So yeah, I think it would be wise of Desantis to just wait for Trump to be out of the way that way he could adopt Trump's base easily enough and focus on capturing more moderate voters.

If he sticks to his word that he won't run against Trump then he could be a strong candidate post-2024...but a lot can change in that time of course.

6. bobrek

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You ask the dumbest questions.

Trying to make everything very "literal" is silly.

Fact of the matter is, places like NYC had and have a lot more restrictions than places like Florida.

8. bobrek

You wrote this:

No, a great move to protect civil liberties. People voting with their feet. Net, more than a thousand people a day moving here, primarily from Chinese CCP style run places like NY and CA.

So are you saying that was bullshit and NY and California aren't being run Chinese CCP style? Or are you comparing the severe lockdowns in China to the toddler mask mandate in NY? Because when I asked what was happening in NY, the toddler mask mandate was the only thing you referenced. Essentially with the exception of that, NY is being run like many places across the USA.

Andre0087 likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It wasn't.

10. bobrek

"It wasn't" is a rather confusing answer. Are you now saying NY and California aren't being run like China CCP?

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Huzzah, he did something right. I don't think it'll help clean energy at all, but it does stop FPL from extracting a little more wealth out of ratepayers. Not that this is a very significant financial hit for the likes of FPL.

Most utilities have enormous political strength. Because they have big businesses that are very region-specific, they account for a lot of jobs (including union jobs), and a lot of economic activity. Plus, their political giving is also very regionally-focused, and they give a lot to local charities, they usually have very strong brands and consumer trust, and as a regulated monopoly they are intensely interested in who is in state power. Especially a company like FPL, which not only has millions of customers in Florida it is a very successful company nationally all headquartered out of Florida with lots and lots of good jobs, it's the perfect formula to be the king-maker at the state level. Regardless of the leanings of the voting base, a powerful utility getting what it wants from the Legislature should probably be your default assumption.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Even more respectable that he stood up to them then!

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Dude. Stop asking these dumbass questions. You are too old for that.

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Wait, I thought you said the handling of Covid by Dems it was “authoritarian” rule, not that there was a basis for doing it at the time. It’s hard to keep track of when you want to politicize public health decisions, and when you want to actually consider the merits.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

DeSantos war on cartoon.

+

SamFisher likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LOL so far from the truth.

Coincidentally, we invited the neighbors and one of them brought her sister and the sister's wife. Lovely same-sex couple with a small daughter. Love is love. I didn't have the impression that they were in any way worried about being thrown into jail or anything. There were also a bunch of clearly rather religious people - Christians, Jews, etc. Everyone living happily in the Sunshine State.

Knowing that Matt Davies is an old British guy living in NY, he probably is rather projecting from his own misery.

17. bobrek

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

DeSantis doing everything right, once again.

So much winning.