1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congratulations to Gov Abbott

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Gioan Baotixita

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Since when is learning about investing, saving, and handling money just “memorizing knowledge?” That is fundamental knowledge that everyone should know. Like I said yesterday, if writing essays on useless literature did wonders for u, then great.

tinman likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It did wonders for you too.

Introspective thought and critical thinking skills don't just magically get farted into your mouth and into your brain.

Don't be anti-intellectual. That is how we got the modern GOP.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

How are u gonna tell me what did or didn’t do wonders for me?

Learning about investing, saving, and handling money being a mandatory thing in school? Nah, that can’t happen. That’s not important at all. Who needs to learn about finances and shaping their future?

Years of useless classes tho? Now that is a must.

tinman likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

I trust people who study brain development science. At the college level, having courses in investment and savings seems like a good idea but it's a waste of time for k-12 because that is still the stage where kids are still developing their brains and need to learn baseline skills in critical thinking abd analytical thinking.

Again, the purpose of grade school education is to prepare you to learn new concepts efficiently on your own.

You are basically telling me that reading and writing for kids and adolescents is useless for brain development when you tell me that your lit class in high school was useless.

#105 fchowd0311, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Business and Finance are very important in the real world.

It's great that lots of people are here are happy that Pepe LePew didn't make to SpaceJam but that doesn't make you money.

There's lots of hate for Elon, but ask my Etrade account.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol…can’t possibly squeeze in a mandatory personal finance class in high school or make learning about investing and saving mandatory in college…nah, that’s too much and too radical

8. fchowd0311

Okay you kinda shifted your premise there. Are you past saying lit class is useless?

Like at face value I can understand your point of view but it's when you say that all the other stuff in grade school is useless. It's useless if you don't understand the point of those classes isn't knowledge retention about the plot of Great Expectations but rather just stimulating your brain and developing critical thinking skills and introspective skills.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s 1 of the most important things, but apparently 8 years of essays in high school and college that most kids just bullsh*t through because they do the bare minimum in these useless classes is far too vital to squeeze in some mandatory teaching about finances and handling money

tinman likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

You need to learn your basics first. for example, if you understand science you'd know which tech company to invest in.

apparently some people here don't understand history, that also helps in investing.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro nurses aren't working in coal mines. I'm not disrespecting the profession but what do you think is so hard?

The shift work, the being on your feet? Have you been in a hospital? It's not as betic as you think they do a lot record keeping at the computer. The lvn's do a lot of the dirty work.
    It's a routine job like most jobs. The family jerks you think they deal y are seldom.

I didn't mean to give the impression it's not a hard job but there are plenty of harder jobs

#111 pgabriel, Aug 4, 2021
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My mother didn't get a nursing degree. She is older than that. She got whatever you needed from a hospital in Denver that had a program where she worked and learned a got whatever credentials you needed.

This the point, the lvn's do what we think rn's do. The point about my mother and a degree is they do most of keeping track of patients progress. That's what a hospital rn does. Sure patients need comfort but they aren't standing over patients while they are in stress.

Doctors are stretched thin with the rest of the medical field. Nurses keep track of a patient's progress or lack of so doctors can make decisions

13. DonatelloLimestone

@Reeko
    With teh amount of time we have in classes, I'd wager they could add in both and do it more efficiently. OBviously mandating a whole new curriculum and implementing is a challenge, even just politically.

but you'd probably find so many people who hadn't used their high school knowledge, could it be cut down a couple years? or could it be more balanced or specialzed with a balance of libteral arts and a emphasis on critical thinking.

In my experience most of hs was more about rote memory, college was more of that and some criticial thinking based on the teacher
    but yea I agree, every citizzen has to pay taxes and earn a living, risk is not really fostered in our education environment but is integral towards being an entrepreneur.

If no changes, at least add the following

Taxes, how htey are implemented and why should be integral to any education because its a requirement of citizens

Then civic education. How that even locally you can vote out even sheriffs judges and i you can't, you can vote out who appointed them. So democracy is power, from the bottomo to the top, i'd make it credit worthy to get these hs seniors and juniors into staffing and voting booths and get the young minds who are more tech savvy get involved, exposed, see loopholes, and keep improving things too.

14. fchowd0311

What is "liberal arts" and what is "critical thinking" and how does one practice it?

Saying that people don't apply their high school education is something that is difficult to prove as you reading Great Expectations and writing an extensive analytical paper on the themes and subject material on the book organizes your thoughts and helps develop things like introspective skills.

So how do you know someone isn't using their high school education? Just because someone doesn't use polynomials in their line of work doesn't mean being taught algebra didn't improve their analytical reasoning skills by exercising their brain.

#114 fchowd0311, Aug 4, 2021
  15. DonatelloLimestone

I agree.
    How to implement it?
    I'm open to interpretations but I also want to continue to evolve our industrial structure
    I've seen from montessori to charter schools tinker with experienced, case based, or actual work learning, all sorts of things that may 'translate' theory more and in applicaiton.

Obvously you can take a statement and say peopel don't apply it.

But My short lived basketball career, i learned intangibles like you said abotu organizing my thoughts, work ethic, learning to fail,to adjust, work with others, a growth mindset....so yea the intangibels are learned through all sorts of activities including the grind and marathon of a high school education

but you have to keep evolving int.

So yea, you may not directly use algebra, can use the benefit of it to understand problem solving. still theres room to argue if its worth while to do as a semsester, or the current structure, and yes i'd wager most people if you ask wouldn't have found algebra useful, there are specialst and certain jobes and a lot of people who would have used it. but just goes to show theres a lot of ways to do it and it should be more open and flexible, to learning styles, teaching styles, etc.

You really think our american education doesn't need evolution, tinkering, some expeirments?

you need some of everything, IT becomes worse when you think of entrepreneurship. If you are going through a company line and have stability of a professional group, that makes more sesne and transfers iwth structure, scehdule and approach. but in terms of thinking outside the box, innovating, creating, taking risks i didn't find my school to do anything, maybe even hinder it after I learned the basics which could've bene done with 16. Many teachers, doctors, things that need more time don't agree. Majority of entrepreneurs I work with have a more independent mindset. In the end of the day, there are so many needs.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Check out TQQQ

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I just want people to be financially literate or at least have a basic idea of things like investing, saving, and handling money after finishing school…I feel it should be taught in schools and is incredibly ridiculous that it’s not mandatory…it’s fundamental knowledge that will shape your future

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’ve been invested in QQQ for awhile now, but haven’t looked into TQQQ. What’s the difference?

19. adoo

adoo Member

that is so 3 generations ago.

today's CPA deal w computers, been this way for more than 2 generations

the main reason that i left the CPA firm was the 80+ hr week during tax season.

as the CFO of a global giant, the Google CFO is on call 24/7. whose compensation is miniscule as compared to the CEOs.

eg, Mary Barra, the CEO of GM, made more than $25 million last yr​