1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congratulations to Gov Abbott

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jul 31, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's amazing how the party of small government suddenly forgets about private property rights except when it comes to saying no to gay people.

Has anyone noticed the rights that conservative Americans fight over are about denial of services to people based on traits they didn't chose? Like that's what they fight for. It's so sad and pathetic.

American conservatism has gaslight about "small government" for decades now. The only reason they tout that bs is so the federal government can't enforce civil liberty protections for "non-traditional" Americans (LGBTQ, non-white etc). That's the literal only reason why they touted that rhetoric. We can see how empty it is. As soon as they see the free market is trending socially liberal, they'll welcome in facism with open arms.

AleksandarN, VooDooPope, Nook and 2 others like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

I've b!tched about the Texas GOP's total disregard of "local control" so much that I'm just worn out.

Nook, ElPigto, Andre0087 and 5 others like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Amen. Calling them hypocritical is beyond tiresome. The word simply fails to describe the harm the state's Republican Party in inflicting on the citizens of Texas. Calling it criminal is yet another understatement. So what is the response of the GOP/trump supporters here and elsewhere? Where is the response?

The silence is deafening.

4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

They will turn it around and blame it on the vaccine some kinda way...

T_Man

Deckard likes this.
  5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Just remember the GOP rule: If I agree with it it’s not hypocrisy.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And on Democrats. They're shameless.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

And if all else fails, they will blame minorities. It always works when you blame minorities.

IBTL, mdrowe00, cheke64 and 2 others like this.
  8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

"Uh, naw dude, you can keep that there fiddle..."

Deckard likes this.
  9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

"I have a feeling, in a few years people are going to be doing what they always do when the economy tanks. They will be blaming immigrants and poor people."

Mark Baum “The Big Short”

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I thought the monoclonal treatment was only for "at-risk" people? Is Abbott old enough to be considered at risk?

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

Deckard likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He's as old as I am, so he's just a youngster. (63)

Nook and IBTL like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

If they die, they die

Nook, IBTL and mdrowe00 like this.
  14. edwardc

edwardc Member

[​IMG]

IBTL, Sajan, deb4rockets and 9 others like this.
  15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

If in order to be show allegiance to your leader and their fake news/ anti-science ideology you had to cavort daily among unvaccinated, unmasked GOP crowds wouldn't you too want to be tested daily?

Nook, Deckard, mdrowe00 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes.

You got me thinking of denial of service. There is nothing wrong with that when it's appropriate.

Denial of service for people because of their inherent or even chosen traits is usually whacky. Other than personal feelings, I can't think much of any direct or deadly impact on anyone. But I won't minimize potential mental health harm, so there is some room for certain denial of service (eg. unisex bathroom for kids at school).

Denial of service for people because of their choice isn't whacky when there is good reasons for it. The group of people that chooses to not vaccinate take up hospital beds and when enough of them do, there is a deadly impact on others. In a way, these people as a group are operating in DDOS model (for those not familiar with the term, DDOS is a distributed attack on a computer network with services requests to the point where the network can't service anyone).

In general, Republicans support denial of service for the first case but not for the latter case. I think we can clearly see that deadly impact is much more justifiable for denial of service than potential mental health harm.

AleksandarN, IBTL, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

A number of school districts across the state are announcing masking mandates for the protection of students and staff.

18. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

LOL Yo've got to be s****** me. This board has gone full r****d for awhile bu t I still come for the entertainment.

19. Buck Turgidson

Nook, Deckard and AleksandarN like this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Pathetic that individuals need to take their own health into their own hands when the government is standing in their way