1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congrats Whitney Mercilus! AFC Defensive Player of the Month.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 7, 2016.

1. ipaman

ipaman Member

Congrats and keep the momentum going!!!

btw..., I'm glad he's killing division opponents since those are the most important games during a season.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

Also, Dan Marino has won just as many Super Bowl as I have.

3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

We need you today big dog

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

Black Clay Matthews.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Gluck today Mercilus...and thanks for a great season...Glad that pay check didnt make you complacent.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans tried to trade back up in the first round to take Bud Dupree after they had already selected Kevin Johnson.</p>— Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/688844126612160516">January 17, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans tried to trade up for another player in today's playoff games as well. Traded up for Tyler Lockett, Seattle moved up 1 spot ahead.</p>— Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/688847886751297536">January 17, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans ended up taking Jaelen Strong after Seahawks traded ahead of Houston's trade up. Rooms was split on Lockett / Strong before trade up.</p>— Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/688848108243951616">January 17, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Speaking up wanting to trade up for a player the Steelers took & Whitney Mercilus...Texans wanted David DeCastro, couldn't, took Whitney.</p>— Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/688848972757127169">January 17, 2016</a></blockquote>

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

I'm still confused how Merciless became so good.

Things just clicked.

8. leroy

leroy Member

Better line play and schemes to confuse the offenses that were focused on containing JJ. He learned how to take advantage. It should only get better with Clowney on the field more consistently.

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

So basically the Texans didn't want Strong or Mercilus but fell onto them as 2nd option. This happens to Rick Smith a lot.

10. leroy

leroy Member

That's not what it said. Having them as 2nd options doesn't mean they didn't want them.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

If I recall correctly, the Texans announced Mercilus' extension the day after the 2nd round of the draft. It seemed obvious then they were looking to get an OLB early.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I don't want my GM taking 2nd /3rd options because other teams are aggressive and jumping ahead of me for players. Now in these situations it''s a toss up but I'm saying in the future.

Let's say they finally decide to get a QB but 2 are sitting there in that round. They like both, ah we just let one fall to us and see what happens.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

This is kind of silly. Are you advocating that they trade up for EVERY player that they like on the off chance that another team might trade ahead of them or draft the guy they want?

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

This happens to every GM in every draft. We're just hearing about these specific cases.

You don't think there was a team waiting/hoping for Kevin Johnson…or Louis Nix…or Xavier Sua Filo?

15. leroy

leroy Member

I get the vitriol for Rick Smith. He's done some boneheaded things. But crapping on him for having backup plans is pretty stupid. You can't predict what every other team is going to do.

16. The Real Shady

[​IMG]