1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CONFIRMED: Sergio Llull signs six-year extension with Real Madrid

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by themacisback, Aug 30, 2012.

1. k-money

k-money Member

Exactly lol. :)

2. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Well, that sucks. :(

Extension through 2018. He'll be 31 by then. Of course we don't know anything yet about whether or not there is a buyout clause in the contract, which is the real key here.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This might actually make him more appealing as a salary cap saving trade piece for a team that knows they will not have to worry about his cap hold for the remainder of his career, and they can use his rights as a way to shed salary in a trade with the Rockets.

I figured that Llull is in a situation where he is playing for a quality team overseas where he is a star, getting paid similar wages, and is guaranteed to be a focal point of the team. Oh, and he's close to his hometown where he grew up and would be residing anyways if there was a choice in the matter.

If Llull chose to stay with some Chinese team over the Rockets than thats one thing, but RealMadrid isnt a team to get butthurt by. Also he's smart enough to know who Jeremy Lin is, and what his role would be with the Rockets next season as his backup. I have no hard feelings towards Sergio. In the end he made a good decision to stay with Real Madrid, and he's still a trade asset for the Rockets in the end. When you buy a 2nd round Euro-Stash thats what your assuming you are getting anyways.... a trade asset.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Very disappointed. The high price ever paid for a second rounder all for nothing.

Well, at least he didn't tease us about coming over. Seemed pretty sure of where he wanted to be and can be mad at him.

6. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Was never that thrilled about him, especially after watching him in the olympics but a bit disappointing to know there's zero chance of him coming over.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

His rights counts zero towards matching a salary in a trade so his inclusion does not help another team save money as not having him in trade also counts zero. He is only valuable to an NBA team if he plays in NBA.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Someone's getting a phone call this morning.

;)

9. dobro1229

Say if Brooklyn wanted to get Reggie Evans off their books next Summer could they not trade him for the rights to Sergio Llull and save cap space the next season by getting rid of a contract? You cant just trade a player for air.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yes you can. Teams absorb salary all the time. Lull counts a zero on the cap.

Remember when Minny absorbed Beasley or even Sac taking That SG of ours a couple seasons ago?

Over protected picks are usually the way it's done. That and straight cash.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

He knows he couldn't cut it in the NBA. Better stay where you feel comfortable

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I just confirmed that indeed Sergio Llull did sign an extension with Real Madrid.

I don't know what buyouts exist or the amounts, but it was pointed out very clearly that this does not end his NBA opportunity until then, citing Ricky Rubio and Luis Scola as two big name examples of players who left with contracts still going overseas.

I assume that if Llull continues to grow and progress, and the money is good enough here, something may be able to be worked out before the end of his deal.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Joe Joe is right, dobro. As a second round pick, Llull's rights do not count against the cap and also account for $0 for salary-matching purposes.

If Llull is never going to play in the NBA--which we still do not know at this point--then his only value is as nominal trade consideration (which is probably what you're getting at), since some form of consideration needs to be exchanged in any trade. But that can be something as simple as a top-55 protected second rounder 7 years out, or a "lesser" stash pick (think Axel Hervelle).

My guess is that the Rockets would rather just hold onto Llull's draft rights (in the hope that he might possibly come over eventually) rather than include him in any trade as merely nominal consideration. If they ever trade him, it will mean either (a) they believe they are actually getting some value in return for his rights (as opposed to him just being nominal consideration) or (b) they truly don't think he'll ever play in the NBA no matter what.

14. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

If a team either drafts the player or obtains his rights through trade, they have his NBA player rights. This means he can not play for any other NBA team. However, if he has not actually signed a NBA contract he still can play in a different professional league. If he continues to play in Spain, until the Rockets actually trade or release his rights, if he ever wants to play in the NBA then Rockets get first dibbs.

15. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

It doesn't sound like he signed a contract with the Rockets. Therefore, the actual salary does not exist. The only leverage the Rockets have if they want to trade him is if another team actually wants to obtain his rights.

Example: Marc Gasol's rights was traded in February of 2008 from the Lakers to the Grizzlies. There was nothing that counted against the Lakers or Grizzlies cap because he didn't actually sign a deal to play in the NBA. It was only until June of 2008 that the salary actually counted because he signed a NBA contract.

16. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Even if you don't declare for the draft, some players are automatically available at a certain age (I think 23). It's also a better way to negotiate his current contract with Spain and keep his options open. In other words, a smokescreen to get paid in Spain.

A lot of players get drafted in the 2nd round, but NBA teams aren't necessarily going to give them either a guaranteed contract or the situation isn't as appealing as they initially thought, so they just go back.

17. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

18. dobro1229

Thanks for the explanation.

My thinking when I wrote that post was that having a "Eurostash" player like Llull, Hervelle, or a Leunen type in the toolbelt gives the Rockets the ability to trade for a player instead of giving up an asset like a future 2nd rounder or a young player in a small trade when they have to give up something to make the trade happen.

I guess my question is, instead of giving up a 2nd round pick in a trade similar to the one the Celtics made with Houston for Courtney Lee, could they have just substituted the rights to a player like Sergio Llull instead to make a deal work?

So does having Eurostash players help the Rockets or a similar team save assets in trades that they would normally give up in small routine deals?

19. Nook

Nook Member

I have seen Llull play quite a bit the last 2-3 years, and his game has certainly improved a great deal. Having said that, it was fairly clear to me that Llull would project as a rotation player, but not an NBA starter. He is more of a hybrid guard and has limitations.

It is too bad that he signed a long term deal, but I suspect that there is a buy-out at some point, and a player of equal talent is obtainable if he chooses to never leave for the NBA.

Not a major loss.

20. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member