1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Confirmed] Rafael Stone involved in practices, coaches meetings, halftime discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Stone really out here acting like Phil Jackson in NY while having nowhere near the basketball knowledge…

and we all saw how that worked out

lol, we’re screwed

if Vivek Ranadive was the GM, you’d get Stone

this dude acts like he’s a pseudo coach

ladies and gentleman, y’all give it up for Stone Van Gundy

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

And yet he can't do his job and find a damn trade for Gordon nor send the right people down to Gleague..

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

No different than the guys on here that swear they know more bball than others because they joined CFs in the 90s.. Stone may have been subscriber #1 if you think about it..

5. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

At this point, just fire them both

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

no wonder Stone hired Silas and has kept him for so long…ain’t no coach with clout, experience, and options dealing with this BS

a Kenny Atkinson…a Quinn Snyder…they’d DDT Stone right out the huddle

Silas is a guy finally getting his shot after 16 years, he was easy to control.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Wembanyama is always the correct answer

Next year when our pick goes to the Thunder
    and Eric Gordon is gone.....you won't see Stone
    knocking stones.

topfive, BamBam, maj21 and 1 other person like this.
  8. riko

riko Member

No wonder Jeff Van Gundy wanted no part of this weasel of a lawyer wanna be GM.. Carrol Dawson had his faults but he never got involved in Rudy or Van Gundy’s business. Gave them full autonomy/authority

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

at least their bad takes are confined to a message board

Stone out here like a 10 year old with the car keys…get your inexperienced clueless ass out the driver’s seat before u kill us all

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The white jack easterby

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

One thing I never really heard is what is it that originally got Stone this role or his previous executive positions within the organization?

Typically guys have some sort of basketball background where they're expected to know the game in and out or an agent background where they're expected to have an edge in free agent and trade negotiations or an analytics background where they're expected to be able to find talent (or unique ways to use that talent).

What is Stone's edge? Did Morey not have anyone qualified and/or experienced working under him?

ramotadab and Mr Woods like this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It involves knees.

A floor.

And Tilman Fertitta standing.

BHannes2BHonest and pippendagimp like this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ew-GM-Rafael-Stone-a-passion-for-15651539.php

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Stone is likely instructing Silas to tank through mandating lineups. He wants to secure the worst record in the league.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Why do GMs also want to be faux head coaches?

Morey (play style/choosing assistants)
    Stone
    Caserio with the Texans

Let the coach coach, choose his assistants, choose the play style and you go back to your GM office and not put together one of the worst teams.

—“Morey didn’t renew D’Antoni’s coaching staff last season, letting Mike Finch, Roy Rogers and Jeff Bzdelik go. D’Antoni didn’t appreciate those decisions, sources said. When D’Antoni was hired four seasons ago, his job wasn’t to pick his own staff. Morey is very hands on in that aspect. In negotiations, one thing that was discussed was control and how much influence and leverage parties would have. D’Antoni was never given that freedom.”

—“A mindset similar to Morey's is a must for a Rockets coach.”

—“Really, I think the most important thing for the coaching candidates is going to be aligning with Daryl Morey and his vision in terms of basketball philosophy as well as who is going to be on that staff because we all know Daryl Morey is very hands on in terms of putting together a coach's staff." The Rockets could be limited financially in hiring a candidate such as Lue. “Another thing is, Ty Lue is interviewing there... I'll be honest with you, I don't think Tilman Fertitta is paying Ty Lue's market value. I don't think he's paying top dollar for a coach." Part of the reason why Lue decided not to take the head coaching job with the Los Angeles Lakers last offseason was due to the years and money offered to him.”

—“Mike D'Antoni on Jeff Bzdelik no longer on the coaching staff: "I thought Jeff and everybody under him did a great job..You'd have to ask (GM) Daryl (Morey) about the reasoning and all that behind it, but there are some great coaches out there.”

—“Adelman declined to mentor successor
    Rockets tried to make their pick for next coach a new assistant

The Rockets had decided they would choose Rick Adelman's successor even before the team and the coach had agreed to part ways.

Adelman could have remained the Rockets' head coach, but was told that the Rockets had decided to hire his successor and put him on Adelman’s coaching staff if he remained, according to two individuals with knowledge of the talks.

Though Adelman and Rockets general manager Daryl Morey came together on several issues, Morey wanted Adelman to mentor a successor that Morey and Rockets owner Leslie Alexander would have chosen and put on Adelman’s staff. Adelman was unwilling to make the changes necessary to his staff, arguing in favor of assistants.

Nook, November 16, 2021

#16 J.R., Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  17. conquistador#11

Another thing I've noticed is people thinking that it will all stop once we acquire Wemby. People that like to meddle can't help themselves. Those meddling kids.

Yung-T, JW86, i3artow i3aller and 7 others like this.
  18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Jack Easterby is the white Jack Easterby.

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I remember when PJ was asking for an extension or trade there was something about a conversation (maybe instagram?) between he and Hartenstein about how "their lawyer won't even talk to me". That rung a bell for me, I wish I could find it but it seems like the players even knew a couple seasons ago. That said, I think he did right by several vets getting them where they wanted to go. Even Wall, as much as he was probably justified to diss the Rockets like that who wanted him? Maybe they could've cut bait earlier but it's not a huge demerit.

Really, I don't think Stone has done terribly. The drafting has been outstanding, trades have been fine. Free agency could be better but could also be a lot worse. Honestly the biggest two complaints are that Eric Gordon is a Rocket in 2023 and the breaking news confirmation of how much he plays into coaching/tanking. Yes, it's obvious and all but having a player as well known as John F. Wall come out and trash the organization like that kind of makes it go from obvious to damning.

Durrell Mary was a guy I would stan for. Raffle Stoner isn't.

clos4life and Mr Woods like this.