1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Confessions of a superstitious rockets fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, May 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Story I'd like to share with ya. Can't recall if it was when Harden got the technical or another part of the game but I was just frustrated with how we came out flat again in the 3rd quarter, the officiating, Jon Barry's commentating, grabbed my keys went for a drive. No phone, radio off nothing just driving. Stopped by a gas station to pick up a tea and some snacks for my sister who was still watching the game. A guy walks in the convinience store and asks me in spanish if I could tell the clerk to let him borrow gas. I was still frustrated about the game and just wanted to clear my mind off it but I could tell he really needed help so I translated for him, he got the water he needed and all was done. After I was walking to my car the same guy comes back again asking for 3 dollars for gas. Before my usual response of sorry I dont have any cash I thought to myself man its 3 bucks, just help him out, so I gave him 5 instead. After he puts the gas he comes up to me for the last time thanking me and telling me may God bless you. I jokingly responded would have been nice if the Rockets won but thanks regardless. I come home to find the 19 pt lead cut to 10 and well the rest is history. I was 3 during the original Clutch City run, never got to experience it. Last night was one of the most amazing moments in my Houston sports fandom in general. Game 7, all bets are off. Why not us clutchfans? Lets go!!!!!

2. cocoadough

cocoadough Member

My fiancé got home last night around the start of the fourth. She saw the score and said "Aww baby it will be okay if they lose"

She sat there with me cheering them on during that comeback and went to bed in disbelief! I really want to say they didn't start turning it on until she got home lol

3. trigun333

trigun333 Member

During the game in 3rd quarter I was sitting in different spots in my room till they went on a run. I stayed in the spot and didn't move until I moved back to right in front of the TV and that's when Paul hit that 3, I promptly went back to my spot and stayed there till the clock read 00:00.

1 person likes this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Game 1 - watched entire game - LOST
    Game 2 - fell asleep at some point during 3rd quarter - WON
    Game 3 - watched entire game - LOST
    Game 4 - watched entire game - LOST
    Game 5 - fell asleep at some point during 3rd quarter - WON

Last night, I didn't fall asleep (because I drank 2 cups of coffee at about 8pm...) but I did switch to a different show once we went down by 19. Divine intervention told me to turn the game back on and we were only down by 10. Watched the rest.

Oh, and so far the Rockets are like 0-3 when I dress my twin boys in Rockets gear for the day. So their shirts have been shelved until the playoffs are over. :)

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I am pretty superstitious as well. We went on that run when I crossed my arms, leaned back on my couch, and rested my feet flat on the ground. I never moved from that position going back to the end of the 3rd quarter.

I never smiled. I never cheered. I didn't move a muscle until about 28 seconds left in the game, when I was comfortable enough with us missing all our free throws and still winning.

As Paul threw up that last shot to end the game, I let out a big cheer and then just sat there in disbelief, listening to the interviews and reaction from the broadcast.

I remember at the end of last season, I turned off the game immediately following the shot, and just sat in silence for about 30 minutes staring at the blank tv, refusing to answer my phone. It was similar to the way I intensely watched the 4th quarter of last night, unwilling to even look at my phone (someone texted me when Parsons made the layup last year and I made the mistake of looking at it and responding "dont let them hit a 3").

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

DD, for the sake of our favorite team, could possible say that Blake G and Chris Paul are the future of the NBA. While you're at it, can you also say that Harden, Howard, and Josh Smith are cancers.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Guys, don't bother DD. He's the ultimate X-factor if you are really superstitious.

8. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

1. cant shave my beard.

2. I have to watch the game alone in my room. meaning i have to miss out going to the games at the stadium.

3 Dont ever stop watching bc all year they have been pulling crazy surprise wins! LOVE THIS TEAM!

1 person likes this.
  9. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Dude... just watch the game in a mirror. It won't jinx the team, and we'll likely blow them out due to the cosmic reflections.

BTW, make sure the mirror is facing LA, and NOT THE TOYOTA CENTER. Otherwise, you could really screw things up.

10. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

aww lol

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This is SUPER corny, but I swear its true. So Im a machinist, and at the shop last night we are watching the game "working" and it was pretty rough in the 3rd quarter. Then some wiseguy turns up EYE OF THE TIGER ... yes the Rocky theme. We laughed it up, trying to go down in good spirits, and then the comback happened. Surreal.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Your 777th post.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Each game we've won this series I've at some point gotten a massive migraine. In game 6 it happened right before half. It was so bad I considered turning of the TV and going to bed. Instead I took some meds (right before our 3rd qtr run) and left the TV on but didn't watch, just listened.

So I will take more drugs for game 7.

14. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Every time I've worn a Rockets, Red or harden tshirt we've lost this playoffs.

I'm gonna continue the trend

15. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

dressed up in red yesterday. will do so again on game 7

16. liljojo

liljojo Member

Whenever I mute my computer, the rockets start winning. Based on the Jon Barry thread, I'm assuming it's a rather fortunate superstition.

17. kunene

kunene Member

Trust him. He's a doctor.

18. SunsRocketsfan

Yoyo, did you go to the game?

I blame yoyo. I know he went to games 3 and 4 and we got blown out. As big of a fan he is we need to keep him away. Heh

19. ibm

ibm Member

i have none whatsoever.

used to have all sorts of superstitions. no more. rid of all of them through the years.

20. htownrocket87

htownrocket87 Member

Since most of the games have been pretty late my fiancé would try her hardest to stay up with me to watch the games. Every time she caved in and would fall asleep we would win! Last night in the third quarter she kissed me and said, "its ok sweetie at least they made it this far" then headed to the bed. Regardless if game 7 is at 230pm or 7pm BEST BELIEVE I will drug her so she can go night night just one more time.....lmao!