1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Concerned with Morey's Approach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TXRoxBBall, Jul 2, 2009.

1. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I have liked Morey so far, but I am getting a little concerned with the approach we are taking.

Adding Ron was a failure - we gave up 2 first rounders for Ron and have nothing to show for it. Morey's value based approach puts extra importance on the draft where you can get a lot of value. Giving up Ron and two first rounders is a failure anyway you slice it if you don't win a championship.

I like the approach of assigning a player a value and not overpaying, but when you need a center and the seemingly best one on the market gets picked up by someone in your division for the mle cause you wouldn't go there is a little concerning. We had to have been around the 4-5 million range, what's another mill for the player you want and more importantly need?

I'm probably over reacting due to concerns now about who will be on the roster, but what is a fan to do.

Trades I'd look at:
    Sign and trade Gortat and Pietrus for Shane and Landry.

Shane and a filler for Rudy Fernandez and Batum (the only way Portland may consider this is if they get Hedo)

2. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

but you cannot send good money after bad money. The mavs are going after kidd because they gave so much for him and need to prove it was worth it.

3. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

CHILL OUT TXRoxBBall, Keep the faith. IN MOREY WE TRUST.

4. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

I'm not concerned with the way Morey's been handling everything. Knowing him he's always two steps ahead of everything and will probably pull something that nobody expected. I know this isn't the way Rockets fans pictured the offseason, but who knows maybe something amazing will happen.

5. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I see what you're saying. We need ap layer like Gortat, and if Morey chooses not to overspend, then we lose out. However this is only for next season.

In the long run, I think his approoach works. There will be a time when the Rockets have so much cash to play with, they can make a superstar signing. We will also have lots of young assets thanks to Morey, which could pull in another trade for a star. (Does this remind you of signing Allen then trading for Garnett)?

We can rebuild incredibly fast if Morey stick to his guns.

Now if we are looking to contend for the next 2 seasons, then MOrey's approach will not work, however I think he is doing the right thing to keep this team alive and sustainable.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Yea i'd have to agree, just calm down. Artest was suppose to be the 3 in the big 3 not the 1 so....I wouldn't call it a failure by any means and how is he going to know within 1 yr TMAC would need Microfracture surgery and Yao have a possible career ending injury so Il let this offseason playout bite the bullet next season and build for 2010-11

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Back to the drawing board. Players can't be signed and traded in combination with other players.

Hedo or no Hedo, the Blazers don't consider that trade.

EDIT: Just noticed the "filler" part. That could make a difference, but what would you suggest? That's a pretty simple and small trade to just say "filler".

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Nice revisionist history pal...

I think if we'd known that McGrady and Ming were going to end up on the sidelines in the playoffs then PERHAPS Morey might not have made the Artest trade... :rolleyes:

But giving up Donte Greene and Omri Cassipi for what might have been a shot at a championship was a bold and gutsy move. Particularly when you consider that it did NOT hurt the team at ALL when it came to 2010 cap space.

Bear in mind that in getting Donte Greene we managed to wrangle a 2nd round pick which we then passed on for the right to dump Francis' salary - which meant we avoided paying luxury tax and got GIVEN $3million dollars instead of paying $2.5 million. And then we spent THAT money on acquiring the 3 second round picks we now have.

And did I mention that even though we rented Ron for a year it didn't affect our 2010 cap space?

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the risk he took wasn't worth it looking at it now, but it wasn't his fault, you can't predict injuries, even with our two guys who ar einjury prone, you dont know when they'll get injured. It still had a much higher upside than down and Greene may not even turn out to be who we hoped for, so that's another reason why it's not such a bad risk.

I dont understand why you're complaining about the ron deal, yet you want him to go for the gortat deal...that's a bigger risk to take, it involves more years and possibly takes us out of the running for 2010, not to mention he'll become overpaid immediately if Yao does return.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Planning for the future rather than the present is now more important. I have no problem with them exercising caution at this stage, when better deals may be available midseason or next offseason when certain players come off the books.

11. Dei

Dei Member

The only thing I'm wondering is if he low-balled Artest and it exploded in his face.

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

You cannot blame a General Manager for the end result.

The General Manager is supposed to, keep the teams options open with good contracts, good drafts, etc. and give you as much talent as could be possible to have a chance to win a championship.

Morey did just that.

He has no control over the injuries, how the team chemistry works, or how the players will actually play hard and smart or not.

His approach so far has been right on.

13. Raven

Raven Member

So we don't overspend on Gortat so we can overspend on Ariza?

And Morey should have known that offering Gortat less than the full MLE was both a waste of his time. Did he seriously think Gortat would take less to play in Houston just because fans sent him emails?

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Omri Casspi and Donte Greene - it's way too early to tell right now about these players that the Kings got from our 1st round picks, but I'd do that Artest deal every day and twice on Sunday. He helped us become relevant again in the playoffs, when our 2 franchise players went down (again). Yao's uncertain future changed our plans in keeping Artest, otherwise I believe Morey would have made a better offer to keep Ron if he thought bringing Ron back would help us push farther into the playoffs.

I'm curious on who the Rockets would have targeted or what they would have done if they kept their 2009 1st round pick.

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I understand Morey didn't want Artest and vice versa anyway since Yao is injured. Problem is we gave up our 1st round to get him. Couldn't we have S&Td him at least? ie sign Artest more than MLE then trade him with the Lakers for a signed Ariza plus pick/s.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think it is pretty clear he didnt want Artest back.

17. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

If you are not in the top 1/2 to 2/3 of the first round, you might as well get rid of the pick anyway and buy some second rounders like Morey did. Then you aren't stuck with guaranteed rookie contracts. I think the goodwill created by the Rockets in the playoffs was worth taking the chance. I just wish they would have shown up for game 7....

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Well the whole 'showing up at 12:01AM with your name on a jersey' thing is 0 for 2.

However, I like what he's gone after. You're not going to get them all. Thus far, Morey has been great. Let's not fault him for not being perfect

19. olajuyao

olajuyao Member

Amare Ariza and Bibby thats the only way we can some what compete in the playoffs. rest yao til playoffs get it done MOREY!

20. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Yes, that was obvious. Only offering hin an one year contract.