1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Computers] Please help me figure out which video card to buy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

So here's the story... I usually order custom computers because I like to have a little more graphics power under the hood for gaming and such. However, my laptop suddenly failed last November, thus I was forced to buy something off the shelf from Best Buy.

Now I'm wanting to buy a graphics card with a bit more horsepower. Problem is, I was never really a hardware guy, and now even moreso I'm not really sure what's compatible with what anymore. So, I'm wondering if someone in the know can point me at a card that's an upgrade over my current one that will, you know... actually be compatible with my computer and such.

The exact computer I actually have is here:
    http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668210.php

...Radeon HD 4850, 512MB of VRAM.

Now, I was thinking of staying in the ATI Radeon family and going with a Radeon HD 4890 with 1GB of VRAM (I think I could actually use the same drivers if I went this route?). My problem is, when I go to newegg.com, there are about 20 cards that fit that description:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3099 106792627 1067947106 1068320729&name=1GB

...so which one will work with my system? All of them? None of them? Some of them? Anyone got an idea?

Having the same issue with RAM actually, I'd like to buy another 3GB, but not sure which to buy... same issue...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

3. Drexlerfan22

I see 3 that say XFX. Which one? And you're absolutely sure they'll be compatible?

Thanks for the help so far, I'm clueless about this new-fangled hardware. :)

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Probably this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150360
    One of them is out-of-stock, and the other two are the same price. This one is a bit faster and has a free game. The other one mentions a double lifetime warranty, but I think this is true for all XFX cards (might be wrong). I think all those cards are pretty much the same, just different clock speeds, maybe different fans to make it run cooler/quieter, and different display interfaces (DVI, HDMI, etc.).

As for video card compatibility....I may be wrong, but the few times I've swapped out graphics cards, I don't generally look at a lot of things. Just the interface (e.g., PCI Express, which pretty much everything uses nowadays, so no point in worrying about it much anymore), power requirements, and maybe the physical size of the card. Never really had any problems when I worry about just those things, although maybe I just got lucky in case I neglected to look at something important.

Glancing at a few of the cards, it seems like they recommend at least a 500W power supply. Your computer just meets that minimum requirement, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade the power supply.

Are you aware that there will be some new, DX11 cards coming out in the next few months? Unless things changed (haven't really kept up with the news).

5. Drexlerfan22

Ahhhh geez, I forgot about that. I wanna say the unit I bought at BestBuy actually says it's a 250W, and if you look at the note on the link, they're saying it's 500W "peak"... so I'm wondering if this wouldn't be too much hassle, or if there's a 4870 I could get that draws less power, so I wouldn't have to worry about the power supply issue...? Best Buy doesn't list this model anymore, but when they did I think I remember people saying that they upgraded to a 4870 and had no issues with the power supply. But how much of a performance upgrade would I even get? Is the 4870 gonna be a noticeable jump from the 4850?

The thing is, I wouldn't want to go buying a new power supply. If I was gonna do that I'd just wait awhile and spring for a whole new computer.

EDIT: Huh. I wonder if I should take that power requirement with a grain of salt. If I browse to the equivalent of my existing card (512 GB HD4850), it claims I need a minimum of 450W. Hmmmm. So maybe I'd be okay getting the 4890...? Hmph. This is why I try to get something preconfigured as high-end, rather than wondering if it may work or not later... :(

#5 Drexlerfan22, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  6. tested911

tested911 Member

7. RC Cola

I actually have the same video card (4850), so I was about to comment about it requiring 450W. :) I don't generally know a lot about these requirements unfortunately, especially since I generally avoid coming close to hitting them.

What exactly are you looking to get from the video card? As I said, I have the same video card, and I actually can play most games at pretty high quality (e.g., Fallout 3 maxed out IIRC). I think Crysis is probably the only game I tried that made it struggle, and it actually didn't do too bad (for the demo, think I got 15-20 FPS with everything maxed and during a firefight). Some of the slowdowns I have with games may not even be related to the graphics card (only have 2GB of RAM, and my CPU is getting kind of old too). Have you actually tested your card with some games and come away disappointed?

From one review I saw, it seemed like the 4870 would get maybe 5-11 FPS higher, depending on the game and setup. Don't know if that is worth it to you. I can point you to some reviews if you want to check out specifics (can find exact games you want to play with similar settings you want to use). Seems like the big difference is that the 4870 uses GDDR5 instead of GDDR3 (basically, faster/better RAM AFAIK).

Haven't really looked into it, but maybe the new cards will consume less power. Not sure what sort of direction they're going in terms of technological advances.

edit: Actually, the Witcher has some issues too, but I think it is just because it is horribly unoptimized.

#7 RC Cola, Aug 24, 2009
  8. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

Your computer has an X58 motherboard and will support any PCIe videocard since the specs list that it has a PCIe x16 expansion slot. So yes, any ATI 4800 series videocard is compatible with your PC.

The 4890 is currently the fastest single GPU videocard from ATI's lineup and is competitive with the more expensive GTX 285 from nvidia. So at around $200, it is a fantastic card.

500W should be enough for a single 4890 videocard upgrade. Do you know the brand and model of your power supply?

Also, what size is your monitor?

9. Drexlerfan22

My issue is that Gears of War seems jumpy on higher settings, and actually so does Oblivion... especially if I download the mod that puts in higher quality textures etc, I get noticeable slowdown. I have 3 GB of DDR 3 RAM and an i7 processor, so my guess is the card is the bottleneck, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks much for the info.

My monitor is a 24-inch 1920x1200. Power supply... no idea, it's just whatever the thing came with out of the box. Never changed out anything on a PC except graphics cards and RAM, and that was like 8 years ago... so I wouldn't even know where to look.

Could my setup handle the 4890 you think? Or should I not press my luck and just buy another computer in a year or two?

10. RC Cola

It probably is.

I haven't tried Gears of War, but that probably is a bit more demanding that most games. Oblivion surprises me a bit since I played it on a 7900 GT without much problem (think everything was maxed or close to it). Granted, there was definitely slowdown, but that's mostly due to it being a Bethesda game. I haven't had a chance to try it out with my current card, but as I said, Fallout 3 ran pretty well (still some slowdown at times though, but not too bad). The 512MB of RAM probably is a limiting factor when it comes to some of the texture mods though. Don't know if they were the same ones I tried (I had some slowdown at the time, but I also only had 256MB).

Of course, my comments are based on my preferences. I actually generally don't mind 25-30 FPS, and between Bethesda's games and now the Witcher, I'm getting used to random slowdowns. My monitor also doesn't support a resolution as high as yours, so that probably explains some of these discrepancies as well.

11. Drexlerfan22

Hmmmm... that may be part of it. I keep hearing how great this card actually is, but it doesn't seem to get it done at max resolution on my screen. I've actually ended up running games on lower resolutions anyway just because they get too choppy on max. Random slowdowns drive me totally nuts, I'd rather play crappy looking 60fps than high-end 25fps.

...however, much as I say I prefer smooth over pretty, the "natural environments" mods or whatever they're called for Oblivion just add so much to the immersiveness of the game, so I feel like I just have to have them... but all those leaves combined with a non-r****ded draw distance seems like too much for this card to handle. Hence my dilemma.

Given the power supply issue I may just say screw it and stick it out 'til I buy another computer. Not really sure when that will be, but I'm definitely going very high-end when I do.

12. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

I think your power supply can handle the upgrade. If you don't mind lowering the anti-aliasing or even lowering the resolution of your games in order to maintain smooth gameplay, then you should just stick w/ the 4850. But if it does bother you that you can't make full use of your X58 system and 24" monitor, I would encourage the upgrade. If I were in your shoes, I'd upgrade.

Have you updated your graphics driver?

Catalyst v9.8 http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista64/common-vista64

#12 RAID, Aug 24, 2009
  13. Drexlerfan22

I hadn't updated my graphics drivers for probably 5 months, so thanks for the link. I never remember to update.

If you think my system can take the 4890 I may go for it... I'm okay with spending $200 on a graphics card, just wanna make sure I'm not throwing the money away, you know?

14. lpbman

lpbman Member

Just get another 4850 and run it in crossfire. That link says you have an available pci-e 16x slot on your mb. It'll only run you $100 and should give you what you are looking for at those higher resolutions. If your power supply won't cut it, you can always add once of these.
    http://www.provantage.com/visiontek-900222~7VSTV061.htm

You end up spending $200 but you know your system can handle the power draw.

15. Drexlerfan22

Sounds like good advice, but I decided to gamble and hope my system can handle the 4890.

I'll try to remember to let everyone know if it actually works or not.

If it doesn't I may end up getting a new power supply anyhow, even though I didn't want to bother in the beginning... don't see myself letting a $200 investment sit.

16. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Rhe cimputer you have already has a 500W power supply which will be fine as long as you do not add another hard drive or cd-rom drive, or external devices that suck up power. Any usb flash drives and peripherils should be alright. Good luck.

17. Drexlerfan22

So, for anyone who was curious:

The new 4890 is working fine on my system, and is a HUGE upgrade over my old 4850.

Where before I was having to lower my resolution on Oblivion and Gears of War, the 4890 completely sneers at Oblivion with all settings maxed out, and does very well with Gears of War on max settings too (not perfect, but I guess that's what having multiple graphics cards is for).

In short, if anyone else is wondering whether an upgrade from a 4850 to a 4890 is worth-it... wonder no more. It most definitely is. I'm extremely happy with my purchase. I'm gonna have to start playing Oblivion again...

Much thanks to everyone who helped me out!

18. RC Cola

Have you checked out any potential tweaks for Gears online? If it still bothers you, you might want to check online. I checked a few sites after I saw this thread, and noticed that some slowdown could be fixed with some tweaks. Think there might have been something about it not efficiently pulling data from disk...

I did that a bit with Oblivion too, although it was more so to improve the graphics (at not extra cost for some reason) than to help with performance. I would think that a patch or newer mods would have fixed that stuff though.

Glad to hear everything's working out for you.

19. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

nice work

20. Drexlerfan22

Well, not pulling data from the game disc wouldn't be an issue, since I have it modded to run off my hard drive only (only did so because I was having issues with my save files disappearing, and cracking it fixed that problem). I honestly don't think it's really a problem, it's just that Gears is a pretty heavy-handed game graphically even now...

EDIT: Side note... I find it amusing how massive graphics cards are nowadays. The last time I installed a gaming-level graphics card like a decade ago, it was still 1 moderate-sized board that I don't think even had a fan on it. The 4890 is a monstrosity though... takes 2 slots and has a massive casing and onboard fan. How far technology has come...