1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer won't boot with 2 hard drives

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Luckyazn, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I have 2 hard drives:

500gb WD = Window 7 installed (bought the hard drive last year)

320gb WD = all my data/music/photos (had it since 2009)

Everything was working fine, and I re-installed Win7 on the 500gb drive in Oct.

The week of Thanksgiving, I went on vacation and came back 2 days ago, and when I turn on my computer it gets stuck booting in the "loading operating system" screen.

When I unplug the 320gb drive (both are SATA), the computer will boot to window. Is my 320gb drive corrupted?

I will probably go get an enclosure and try plugging it with the USB port tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone here might have some suggestions.

As the computer is trying to boot, I can only see the 500gb drive not the 320gb drive. Even in Bios.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Had similar issue where my hard drive crashed. Sucks man.

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Go into the Bios and set your 500 GB hard drive to primary (1) if its not.... Should boot up after that...

1 person likes this.
  4. blink

blink Contributing Member

put the 320 in an external and pull all the files off... then format the 320

5. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I would just reset bios settings and then make sure the drive with the OS is first on boot list.

6. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

If the drive doesn't appear in bios, you could very well have a hardware problem. Reset bios to defaults. If it still doesn't appear, try using a different SATA cable. They don't fail often, but it CAN happen. If there's still nothing, you've got a pooched HD. You can try an external enclosure to recover files, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

^THIS^

8. WNBA

WNBA Member

backup the drive, format it and give it to someone you hate.