1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer Problems [help]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by lpbman, Feb 28, 2006.

1. lpbman

lpbman Member

Ok I'm stumped on this one, my monitor made a couple of snapping noises, crackled and died. Does not power on. Ok so I try to go to Circuit City but I find they are still closed after Rita so I move on to Office Depot and get locked on the main street because of a freakin Mardi Gras parade. Long story short I got a crappy LCD from Walwart and I don't think that problem is even related to the one I found when I tried to boot my PC up with the new monitor.

It gives me the blue screen of death when trying to boot into windows saying a system file is screwed. Ok so I try to reinstall/restore windows (XP professional) and I again get the blue screen o death. This time it tells me I have an unmountable boot volume. I'm guessing then I either have a bad controller/cable/drive so I unplugged everything but the video and tried 3 different cables, and 3 different hard drives (1 completely blank with no other HD attached in case of virus) all with the same result. I also tried booting from my highpoint raid controller (onboard) and a Maxtor ATA133 controller card, no dice. It will boot to safe mode on the original C: drive and ONCE it booted into windows normally during the 30 or so different times I rebooted the thing.

Specs are as follows:
    P4 2.4 133 Northwood
    Abit IT7-MAX2 MB
    PNY Geforce 4400 128mb
    512 ram

Pretend you like me as much as lil pun :D
    Help!

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Man, would you all PLEASE PLEASE add something descriptive to thread titles instead of "Help" with "Computer Problem" ??? :cool:

Off the bat, your video card toasted your motherboard. You're better off buying a new PC, transferring the old hard drive to it to save the files, and restoring stuff on the new one. Ouch... hope it helps...

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

lpbman, I have no clue as to what your problem is (good luck!), but since you've brought up a "computer problem" thread, I figured I'd toss in a question of my own, and nothing serious like you have going on, I might add.

I've got a Dell Dimension 8300 that I bought in '03, before I found out they were coming out with PCI-Express (my bad luck!). Right now, I'm running a 128MB 6600 GT GeForce video card, but wanted to upgrade the card to an AGP 256MB BFG 7800 GS OC. My problem is that Dell tells me I have a 250 watt power supply (I thought it was 350!), and they claim it can only be upgraded to a 305 watt PS. The 7800 GS needs at least a 350 watt PS, and really a 400 watt, or better, in order to run. I'm just looking to upgrade my AGP system to tide me over a couple of years, or less, until I replace it.

Can I stick in a 400+ watt PS in the Dell? (the chump over the phone, who didn't sound like he knew anything, claimed a PS larger than 305 watts might "do something to the system") And if I can, what is a good one that would fit in my Dimension 8300 tower?

Any ideas would be appreciated! :cool:

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Sounds like your motherboard is dead.

5. chow_yun_fat

Yes you can, go to www.newegg.com and buy a decent brand power supply with 400 watts. To remove the power supply is as easy as taking off the left side of your computer case and removing 4 screws on the back of the case that holds up the PS. Just remove the connectors? from the motherboard/optical drive/hd etc and after u install the new one plug them back in. I hope im not wrong and Dell has some prioritership? type power supplies that only work on their computers O_O.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

All the people at Dell know how to do is read the scripts given to them. Ask them anything out of the ordinary, and if they understand what you're asking at all, they act like you're a moron. :mad:

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When I bought my first Dell PC in '98, it wasn't always like that. You often got someone who knew what they were doing. Now, it's terrible. I can't tell you how many times I was transfered before I figured out that no one was going to tell me anything worthwhile. It's a bummer to live in Austin, and have Dell be like this.

8. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

and probably the video card too. I think someone might have mentioned that earlier... it's almost 4AM....

anyways, is there more info to go on? It sounded like a severe case of overheating.

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I got a girl on the line once at Dell who was in Bangladesh. When I told her I was in Texas she asked me if I owned a horse. :D

10. chow_yun_fat

I would of said yes I do, you wanna ride on my horsey?? ;)

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

If I were Canadian, I would have offered her a "ride ride." But alas. :D

12. lpbman

lpbman Member

the temp sensor in the bios shows the CPU temp as (113 F)
    argh...

I'm still mystified as to why it works smoothly in safe mode, I can move files around between hard drives, but it upchucks any attempt to install win...

Ah well... Guess it's time to go Office Space on that Biatch...

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Hey, candlegreen... [raising my hand]
    Coolio... that means that in SAFE MODE your PC OS understands not to request so much work from devices that otherwise would be working normally.

Notice how even the MODEM or the CD ROM will work slowly. Ha! SLowLy... :D