1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer problem w/ Windows XP!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HtownRocks3, May 22, 2003.

1. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

I just went back with my default CD rom after taking out my CD burner because it wasn't working, now when I start XP up that message appears at the bottom of the screen saying that Windows has prevented an application from starting and has disabled some of my devices, now my sound don't work. HELP!

2. CrazyJoeDavola

Did you uninstall the drivers and old software for your CD Burner after you removed it?

3. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

Didn't have any besides the Adaptec CD Creater 4. I went to install my CD Burner, so I put it into my 2nd D: drive slot, hooked it up, cut my PC on, and my CD Burner wouldn't open. So i went ahead and used my regular CD ROM to install the Adaptec Easy CD Creater 4. Then I cut my PC off, and chekced my cables for my CD burner to see if they were in good. so I cut it back in, and it comes up with this XP error message. So I said F*** it and took out my CD Burner and just left my CD ROM in, and its still doing the same things!

4. CrazyJoeDavola

Go to Start, Control Panel, System. Click on the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. See if anything comes up with a yellow exclamation point or red X next to it.

5. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

Did it but I didn't see any red X's or yellow exclamation points. Hmmmm...:confused:

6. Summer Song Giver

Remove anything listed in the device manager under DVD/CD ROM Drives by right clicking on the device and selecting uninstall then reboot and XP should find the new drive without any conflicts from the old hardware/software. Good Luck!

7. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

The only one it shows is my CD Rom that came with my PC. I can't remove that because it didn't come with any software to reinstall it besides the good ol' restore CD to reboot your entire PC. This sucks.

8. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

I can do the "Ask a Friend for help" feature on XP with someone who also has XP and you can see my screen and change my devices and other crap. Do you one you have XP and can see if you can help me? I trust you.

9. Summer Song Giver

Windows should still find it(and reload your driver) if you remove it and reboot.

10. CrazyJoeDavola

HR3,

Summer Song Giver is giving you good information. Even if you remove the device, the .INF file will stay in the windows directory.

Remove it and reboot.

PS - What is the error message specifically say? What application is it shutting down?

11. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

I did this and its still doing the same things. The exact message is:

" Devices or Applications Disabled
    -----------------------------------------
    Applications or devices on this computer use drivers that will cause Windows to become unstable. Windows has prevented these drivers from loading. "

12. CrazyJoeDavola

I would remove the drivers for all your multimedia devices and let them reinstall themselves.

13. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

So do just like I did with the CD ROM but do it with all my multimedia devices?

14. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

I did this and it worked. Thanks guys. Jeff, Clutch, whoever... you can close this thread now.