1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mexican, May 31, 2008.

1. mexican

mexican Member

I need some help guys. I built my first computer a couple of weeks ago and everything works fine, but i am having trouble with my hard drive capacity not being fully recognized. I bought a western digital 640gb HDD but i am only showing 137gb. I've tried looking for help on the internet but i can't find the solution. It seems it's a common problem for older motherboards or something, but i'm sure i've used updated parts. I tried different jumper settings but nothing seems to work. I also tried downloading the intel application accelerator but it said my chipset is not compatible.

Here are the parts i used:
    HDD - Western Digital Caviar WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM
    Mobo - ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
    OS - Microsoft XP Pro (i already downloaded SP3)

thanks

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I'm not sure...off the top of my head I would guess it has something to do w/ partitioning. Have you already started using it or is it still new? What file system did you format it in (FAT32, NTFS)? The fact that you've got an Intel Core 2 Duo means your mobo is definitely not old.

3. LoveRoxHateJazz

You could download patition magic 8, and redo your partition.

What CD did you use to install your OS? Was it a recovery CD? Some have set partitions.

4. mexican

mexican Member

I used the XP Pro CD i got while i was a student. I don't think it's a recovery CD. I've already started using it and it works perfectly fine. I used NTFS to format. I hope i didn't miss something while i was installing the OS. If i redo my partition, will i lose everything i've installed (drivers, software)? This was my first build so i was expecting problems like this. The only other thing wrong is the USB hubs in front of the case don't work even though it's plugged in on the Mobo. I appreciate all the help!

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Was the HDD new or used?

6. mexican

mexican Member

It's new. I bought it from newegg but it didn't come in a box, it was just wrapped up and thrown in with the other parts. It didn't have any instructions or jumpers.

7. what

what Member

It sounds like you forgot to partition the drive correctly. You probably need to make multiple partitions to run that much gbs.

8. what

what Member

Just type in 137 gbs in google. There are several mentions to this problem.