1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer help needed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LonghornFan, Dec 23, 2013.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This is a 4 year old XPS desktop that I rarely use any longer but I want to run my cameras on it instead of the Mac. I had Windows Vista on it (save it!) but a neighbor gave me an upgrade to Windows 7. The only thing is is that it was an "upgrade" to ultimate and I wanted a complete reformat. I purchased the Windows 7 Premium disc but it will not work as it says something like since I'm running Windows 7 it will not allow it to function.

TL;DR- How can I reformat my PC with my Windows 7 Premium and erase all data on the PC including the upgrade of Windows Ultimate?

2. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

install on another hdd.. plug in the old hdd via external or internal if you have the space available. delete windows partitions on the old hdd, re-install the windows you want on the old hdd.. idk probably a much easier way..

1 person likes this.
  3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

You can install Windows 7 fresh with an upgrade-only disk.

Put in the DVD, and start the install as you normally would. When you get to the choose the disk portion of the installation, simply delete your partition that has Windows on it now and/or reformat the partition, and then continue with the installation.

This old blog post of mine shows the steps for installing Windows 7. See step 8.

EDIT - I should not that you may need your Vista license key, which should be on a sticker on the PC somewhere.

#3 Svpernaut, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Is your Vista 64 bit or 32 bit? Make sure your Windows 7 matches.

5. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Oh, wait, nevermind. You said you wanted full reformat.

Pop DVD in.
    Power on laptop while taping F12.
    Choose Boot from CD/DVD drive.
    Click Next.
    Click Install Windows.
    Choose Custom (Advanced)
    Find hard drive in list.
    Click Drive Options (Advanced )
    Click Format, then click New. Should create two partitions.
    Lastly, click Next and it should start installing Windows 7.

1 person likes this.
  6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Can a clean-install be done from an upgrade disc?

He could also try to re-install Windows Vista using either a recovery disc, or by downloading the RETAIL ISO. From there, download all your necessary drivers, activate windows with your product key found on your computer, and then run the windows anytime upgrade from there.

7. LonghornFan

Yeah, I don't have the Vista disc, and the disc I was given was an upgrade. This isn't what I needed as I wanted a full reformat so I bought the Windows 7 Premium disc for a clean install but it will not work. I'll try it when I get home and relay the message that it gives me.

When I do try in safe mode, I do not get the option to install Windows. It says Windows 7 is installed already. I will try you instructions though when I get home, Chank.

Also, the upgrade disc I was given was a 32 bit and my PC is a 64. They new disc I ordered is 64 bit.

8. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

From what I've read in the OP was that he purchased his own Windows 7 HP disc since his neighbor gave him an upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm assuming he bought a full disc and not an upgrade-only disc.

9. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Yeah, your post was kinda confusing regarding what you wanted to do, but I think I got what you were saying.

Yeah, just follow my instructions and you will be good to go. (Sorry, I was thinking laptop when I typed it out but Dell's shortcut keys are mostly the same) Remember, to head over to the Dell website and download any necessary Windows 7 drivers for your computer. Make sure you get the correct version whether it be 64bit or 32bit of the drivers.

10. Scionxa

If you have a WIN 7 Home Premium disc, then I assume you have a product key.

If that fails to install. Download and burn (or create a bootable USB) of the retail iso.

Here are legal links from Digital River.

http://techdows.com/2011/07/downloa...h-sp1-iso-official-direct-download-links.html

If you have no CD/DVD's, create the USB with this official microsoft tool

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

11. Scionxa

This is why it's failing. You're trying to re-install Windows while Windows is in use. You need to pop the disk in, turn off your computer, Turn it on and immediately begin pressing f12 CONTINOUSLY until you're in the one time boot menu. Select your disk drive and go from there.

1 person likes this.
  12. LonghornFan

Reps all around. Thank you very much!

13. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

The information isn't wrong, your missing a step.

Go into your system bios set up and change the boot up from hdd to cd. When you reboot, the computer should read off the cd and prompt you with the windows set up/install vs booting directly from the hdd to Windows O/S.

1 person likes this.
  14. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Or you can hit F12 like a person who's actually used Dells and choose a temporary boot device instead of entering BIOS.

15. chow_yun_fat

Your right, I didn't read everyone's post. I skimmed through everything and saw he was still having problems.

16. LonghornFan

Wish I could rep you guys more. Deleting the old Windows file and rebooting with the disc worked. No more headaches deserves more rep to you guys. I'll hit ya again later. Many thanks.

Edit- With nothing running or installed it's using %15 of my Physical Memory. Does this seem right?

#16 LonghornFan, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  17. chow_yun_fat

Looks about right. I disabled some programs that were set to automatically run when windows starts and I'm at 13%. There are guides online that let you know which programs are safe to disable and which aren't depending on your circumstances.

My Computer > Manage > Service and Applications > Services

18. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Well, Windows 7 is not exactly XP when it comes with resource usage, but then again, it really depends on how much RAM you have on your system. It should be fine if it's a fresh install. It's when you start installing programs is when you should worry about how much memory is being used. Remember, you can always upgrade your RAM if needed. (check with Dell to see what the maximum RAM can be installed). With Windows 7 64-bit, 4GB minimum is essential.

19. LonghornFan

Yeah, I have 8GB of ram. No idea why it's running so hard. Love having a fresh install, loathe installing so much from my previous programs and remembering passwords. Meh.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

4 yr old desktop is still pretty new.

What are the specs?

Right click "My Computer" and it'll give you some info like the model or speed of the cpu and the amount of ram you have.

Good way to indicate slowness, but if you're willing to supercharge your computer like it's 1999, spend the extra effort by buying a Solid State Drive (128 is fine) and keep the other disk drive as a slave for general storage files. Yes, that means reinstalling Windows 7 Ultimate but approach the exercise as flexing your geek muscles.

The things you put on the SSD is non-storage like windows 7, programs, and videogames if that floats your boat. The movies, music, and mpron is kept on the slave.