1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer help needed [DVD-rom]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDream, Jan 16, 2011.

1. DaDream

DaDream Member

So all the sudden on my computer the DVD-rom drive is no longer recognized for some reason. It has power and drawer goes in and out but I can't find it on "my computer". I have tried the usuals like: unpluging and powering on/off and then replugging. Also got a couple other rom drives I have but it will not recognize those either. I have done the "scan for new hardware" while doing this also.
    I have also tried this but no luck: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

Can you help please?

FYI..... My OS is windows 7

2. hkEvo

hkEvo Member

The only thing I can think of is that the SATA or IDE cable got knocked loose, so while there is power going to the drive (you can open it and close it), the data from the drive isn't getting through (the OS isn't seeing it). If you've got a desktop, maybe you can open up the case and check that the cable is connected to the motherboard.

3. DaDream

DaDream Member

yes there are ide cables and they attached

4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

So you are saying that it's an ide drive? Do you have any other drive on that cable? If you do you must a have one as a master and one as a slave or if you have only one attached you need to have it as a master.

5. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

Default your BIOS. It should recognize it after you do this.

6. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

It's a gagillion-to-one shot, but I have seen IDE cables fail before. If you have one handy, try a different cable.

7. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I have the same problem, I never could fix it. I made a thread about it a couple of months ago but I couldn't find it.

8. hkEvo

hkEvo Member

Alternatively, if the IDE cable isn't the problem you could try swapping the disc drive if you've got an extra (working) one. If the extra one works, then it's something with your disc drive.

9. Salvy

Salvy Member

Could be your MB, You have IDE?? if you are running 7 then your computer cant be too old and I dont see a reason to run IDE.... Anyways, its either your sata/Ide cable or your mb.....

10. Crudder

Crudder Member

Could simply be a corrupt driver. I would first suggest Disable and then Enable it through through your Device Manager. If that doesn't work, then Uninstall and have the computer reinstall it and then update it with the latest driver. If this doesn't work, let me know.

11. Salvy

Salvy Member

Also, if its your dvd drive is messed up then you are in luck cuz drives are cheap.... 25 to 30 bucks for a sata... If not then 60 bucks will get you an external dvd drive you can plug into your usb.... Dont worry bout it too much, you will be alright...

12. DaDream

DaDream Member

I have tried different working drives and now have tried new ide cables and still no luck. My device manager is not even showing a CD/DVD drive on the computer screen as an option.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Funny. I had this exact same problem this morning. It's also synonymous with an overheating CPU, at least in my case. :(

14. Crudder

Crudder Member

And it doesn't show when you connect the other drives either?

15. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

You might need to go into your bios and see what setting you have for your IDE connection. I mean if your system did crashed and you did reset your bios at some point it could be the problem.

16. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Do you have another IDE device you could try in that chain, such as an extra hard drive? If it doesn't work, then you might be looking at a faulty IDE controller on the mboard. If you have an extra PCI slot, you could try a controller card. Cheaper and easier than replacing an mboard.

17. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I can see the CD-ROM in the registry but its not showing up in the device manager.

18. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member