1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Compressed Sched, Varsity, JV tryouts...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I'm still pissed about the Gasol non-trade, so I thought I'd try to post my way out of the funk.

Looking at the compressed 66 game schedule made me laugh. If you haven't looked at it, please do so. It is comical. We have a short training camp. So we're going to see out of shape veterans, overpaid fat cat free agents, and rookies that don't know what the hell they're doing. We are going to see some really crappy play early on, players pulling hammies and groins, you name it. I'm pretty sure some of the San Antonio Spurs will keel over.

Focusing on the Rockets for a moment, the compressed schedule presents a dilemma and opportunity.

- We have too many damn players that all could merit playing time.
    - We aren't winning anything meaningful this year, so we need to develop young talent. I'm looking at you, Kevin McHale.
    - Some of our old guys might die too (Scola, I luv ya but you can't play 66 games in this schedule).

So -- assuming that I don't get what I want and Budd, Martin, Lee and Scola are not dealt for future considerations -- I propose that the Rockets have two starting lineups.

Varsity Team: Lowry, Martin, Twill, Scola, Thabeet.
    - Yes, Thabeet. He not understand basketball. Need to play with people that do.
    - TWill has Ron Artest like potential in terms of (i) interaction with Clutchfans; (ii) potential and talent (actually Twill might have more); and (iii) must-see-tv type play, both good and bad. The idiot has to be given the chance to play efficient basketball. He needs to spend as much time with Lowry and Scola as possible. Varsity should start on first games of back to backs.

Junior Varsity: Dragic, Lee, Twin, PatPat, Hill. JV should start on second games of back to backs and be the bench brigade on Varsity Nights (which sounds a lot like an 80's movie featuring Rob Lowe). These guys should be told to play with 100% effort since they will have the energy advantage. JV players that outplay Varsity players should be moved to Varsity.

(Exception to that rule - You cannot have Twill, Thabeet and Jordan Hill on the floor at the same time. That would not be basketball. I don't know what it would be, but I would refuse to watch it.)

Flynn should be cut or traded for future considerations.

I'm taiwanese so my hero Jeremy Lin should be allowed to have all mop up duty and signed to a Matt Maloney type extension.

(Seriously, the kid was the top high school hooper in all of California, can't get no 'ship but goes to freaking asian-parent-wet-dream Harvard, and ends up putting in time in the NBA? Why couldn't it be me? Why!!!!??!????!!!!!????)

I guess that leaves Buddinger out in the cold, but too bad. I know what he is -- a pretty ok 7th or 8th best player. Let's trade him or just let him rest for next year. It's not personal Budd. Sorry.

(if there is a serious point to this thread, it is that we need to trade at least 2 players and then play and develop TWill, Morris and Pat Pat. Barring a major trade, those are the only legitimate objectives for this season.)

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I like this post...

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So you want us to tank....

4. Rileydog

No. I want us to develop Twill, Twins and PatPat.

It's not my fault if that means we lose 52 games.

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Just go outside man, get off theClutchfans for awhile.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We do have too many players but I think Bud is by far our best SF at the present moment.

I like the idea of trading folks for future picks, but that would be ANYONE on the team, from Lowry to Thabeet.....

It would be a fire sale for picks....

DD

7. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I'd trade anyone but Lowry. His contract is a HUGE bargain. I'd like to see what T-Will and Morris could do but I'd move them in the right deal. I wouldn't trade Lowry unless it was in a package for a legit All-Star.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rileydog

The present moment doesnt' matter a whole lot.

We gotta find out what Twill and Twins can do. If we don't, this season is a failure.

Imagine if we didn't play PatPat last year. Horrible.

We know a lot about Budd already. His ceiling is much lower (pretty good floor though).

9. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I just tried that, but I came back too early. I was going nuts on the Conspiracy thread. This one is actually not bad. Even though I disgaree with some of the OP's ideas, it's a good post and has merit.

This compressed stuff (ie season, game schedule, free agency, etc.) is magnifying my addiction rather than diluting it. Work is currently impossible. Waiting. Refreshing. Agonizing. Cluthfans. Rockets nuts. :eek:

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

T-Will has a higher ceiling. Better to gamble than to accept mediocrity.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think McHale likes Jonny Flynn.

Clutch himself said that the Rockets rank them like this...

1. Flynn
    2. Terrence
    3. Hill
    4. Thabeet