1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Compiling All the Rockets Doomsday Quotes from the Media

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Since Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, Bill Simmons, Charley Rosen, Jamal Mashburn, Stephen A. Smith and others have been shredded on the BBS for not giving enough respect, can we get one thread that compiles all of the Houston disrespect before we head to the playoffs? Rockets doomsday quotes from local or national media (print, audio or video) works.

2. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I just belive Charles has done enough. I don't know why but he's obviously the Rockets' biggest HATER. Man he criticise Rockets just for everything. And he can't see we are 2nd in the wild West and he can't see we are playing really well without Yao.

I don't expect them to tell 'Rockets are NBA Champions this year' but gotta have at least SOME respect for team which won 22 in a row.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Video interview off Yahoo! with Kenny Smith after our 17th win against Dallas. We'll maybe be a 6th seed, at best, and we won't get out of the first round.

video link

4. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2008/01/the_day_the_music_died_sixers.html

The day the music died.

Bye- bye, Miss American Pie.

Turn out the lights, the party's over.

The NBA draft lottery will be held on May 20.

No matter how you say it, this was the game that made it safe to plan a spring vacation.

The Rockets are going nowhere at warp speed.

Not with a back-to-back set of games where they give up 29 and 37 points in the fourth quarter. Not with a backcourt collection that cannot execute the simple entry pass to a center who stands 7-6. Not with a collective backbone that couldn't stand up to a jellyfish.

"We let up, as we usually do," said Rafer Alston. "It was a total let-up."

A complete and utter breakdown.

This has turned into nothing short of a clown act, missing only the fright wigs, red noses and big shoes.

And once more they disgraced the throwback uniforms of champions.

We're way past the point where any of this can be attributed to a new coaching staff and a roster full of new players.

This time the Rockets weren't beaten by a better team. They were beaten by a low echelon bunch in the weaker Eastern Conference that was willing to one thing they wouldn't do for four quarters.

Work.

This was a bad Philly team that came in dragging a 7-game losing streak. The Sixers were on the second night of a back-to-back and the Rockets supposed had the memory of last month's embarrassing loss in Philly to fuel them. There are few "must win" games over the course of the long NBA season. But this was one of them if the Rockets were hoping to gain ground and get into the Western Conference playoff race.

But they missed shots, 18 of 24 in the fourth quarter, and they turned the ball over 9 times in the final period. Much of that happened because the Rockets packed it in and called it a night after building a 16-point lead late in the third quarter. The Sixers decided to earn all four quarters of their salaries. They turned up their intensity on the defensive end. They began fronting Yao Ming and sending help from the weakside. They forced turnovers and missed shots and they ran like the wind at every opportunity to score layups at the other end.

Don't let Yao totally off the hook. He finally got the ball in the paint for 3 shots in the final 2:49 of the fourth quarter - a 10-foot hook, a 10-foot jumper and a 9-foot hook - and he missed them all

The next time Rockets owner Leslie Alexander decides to label his team the best collection of talent since the championship years, he'd better pop in a DVD of the old days and remember that giving a damn counts, too.

Especially in the backcourt, there has been some serious misjudgment of talent and know-how, from Alston and Luther Head to Mike James and Steve Francis. The Rockets are a ship without a rudder at crunch time.

With his random rotation changes, head coach Rick Adelman appears clueless and every combination he tries gets to the fourth quarter and looks hapless.

"There's not much for me to say," said Adelman. "You don't take care of the ball and (when) they beat us to the basket time after time in the fourth quarter, it's going to be hard to win...We acted like the game was over starting the fourth quarter. We're not good enough to act like the game is over."

Now Tracy McGrady comes back from his knee injury, maybe Saturday night against the Spurs, maybe the following game. But it hardly matters now.

You can give up on this season. The Rockets have.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I am a huge rockets fan and have watched every game for the past 5 years. That being said, I hate when Rockets fans complain about lack of respect. Lack of respect is justifiable for the Rockets. You don't get respect in the regular season, you get it in the playoffs and we always underachieve in the playoffs and crack under pressure.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

tallanover (3/28/08):

[rquoter]You don't get respect in the regular season, you get it in the playoffs and [the Rockets] always underachieve in the playoffs and crack under pressure.[/rquoter]

link

7. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

priceless!

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thank you Achilleus, durvasa... that's what I'm looking for. I'm having a hard time finding other good stuff though. I can't seem to find actual "quotes" of Barkley's ... seems to be more paraphrased on the board.

It seemed to me the Rockets were more just forgotten as even a decent team. I remember back in January there was some audio clip I think of Stephen A. talking about every possible West playoff team, including Denver and G.S., but had not a word to mention on Houston. Not any quote you can use though.

I was at Barkley's farewell game in Houston and I remember him distinctly saying he wished he played his whole career in Houston, which got a big applause. I like his honesty, but it does seem like he's had very little respect for the Rockets' star players (Francis, Yao and then T-Mac) over the years. Kenny Smith strikes me as more balanced.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I don't have the clip.. but I will contribute!!

On NBAtv before the Phoenix game... Charles was told we have 13 games left, 8 on the road, and 6 against sub-500 teams and asked how many we would win to close out the season.

At that time he said we would only win 5 more games to close out the season. Which irritated me, but...

the good news is we only have to beat 3 more teams to match his estimate. ;)

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...g=theserocketswillcomeback&prov=tsn&type=lgns

This one really rubbed me wrong.

11. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

OMG Kenny Smith is as dumb as Barkley, he don't even follow the league, he said the rockets didnt play well with Yao and T-mac together the first half of the season. Did he knows that T-mac miss 17 game and the games they actually play together the won a lot and vs great teams like Jazz, Suns, Detroit, etc? then he said that Portland went on a streak of 17 or 18 games .

Did he watch any other games that the one at TNT?

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Great idea, Clutch. This squad has redefined 'team' in modern NBA parlance. The 'streak' started when Yao was in and McGrady was out. The Rox won 7 straight IIRC, and kicked it up soon after TMac returned.

Adelman is worthy of kudos. But, it took TMac's buy-in coupled with the immeasurable intangibles ScoLandry have brought which has made the naysayers look like neighing horse's rumps. Simmons current column, for example. 22 wins against absolutely NObody? Wasn't the King dethroned. twice even? By a combined 27. Hornets twice, what's their record? Philip's Lakes? How many play-off teams were left behind in The Streak? Big D without Big Dirk? Rox without Yao...and Landry. Golden State, Denver, several LEastern post-season contenders? Not.

Every single dis of The Streak merits its own thread of demerits.

Now, Rockets, finish strong and play long...into Spring!

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

"McGrady has no heart!"

--Clutchfans, after T-mac goes for 32 points, 9 assists, 7 rebounds for the series but the Rockets lose in the first round.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

It's already Saturday here in Europe, so Happy Bday Clutch :)

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Very true ... I really would like to find "quotables" that rip the Rockets chances or disregard the streak. I think you guys might like where it's used if we can find any.

I appreciate that -- thanks :)

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Cwebb was saying how GS couldn't beat any team in the post season because of a lack of a presence down low. Then he said the only team that GS could beat was Houston. Hey, just checking but didn't our 22 game win streak start against GS? Cwebb, there's a reason why you suck, you just suck at life.

17. T-Mac1

T-Mac1 Contributing Member

Yao played that game ! Scored some 30+ point , So yeah we had post presence.However, we beat them without you few games ago.

:rolleyes: