1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Comparing Scola and Yi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abcdef, Nov 7, 2007.

1. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I've watched Yi play in 3 games thus far. My general consensus when he's out on the floor is, he plays "safe" both offensively and defensively. He takes the high percentage shots which he knows he can make, and does the things on defense that plays to his strengths (ie. blocks). He doesn't go overboard to try to impress anyone. Charlie V. cleans it up for Yi when needed.

What I would like to see Yi do more, once he matures, is to use his length and drives to the basket. He's settling for too many jumpers, which is fine. As long as he makes them, there's nothing wrong with that. But to take your game to the next level, learn to use your 7' frame better. If he improves in those areas (post play and drives), he'll be unstoppable.

2. zong

zong Member

Hate to say this , but so far, Yi is > Scola. Yi is going to outplay Scola this Friday.

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Yi has better stats than Scola for 5 games.

Scola is a champion.
    Yi is not.
    Scola will soon be and NBA WORLD CHAMPION!
    Yi will not.

Scola is a HOUSTON ROCKET. :eek:
    Yi is a milwaukee buck :(

Scola > Yi.

4. cshen

cshen Member

Scola was doing all the dirty work while most of Yi's attampts were open shot. That's why Yi's number was better. I think Chuck Hayes will give Yi a lot of trouble this Friday.

5. awo86

awo86 Rookie

Its really a difference between the rules that make pppl think the euroleague is good. basically international game encourages more fundamentals and less athletic play and isolation play, but the nba encourages superstar play. because of this, when euroleague plays by the nba rule, we will always dominate them utterly! <br>

when u look at why yi sorta suks in international play while scola dominates, but that yi played better in the nba than scola did is because of this reason exactly. u need atheleticism

6. zong

zong Member

I have watched all the games that Yi had played so far, he was the player (MVP) of the game against the bulls, then he played well in the next game. Scola should get better, but right now Yi is > Scola, no much to say.

7. dalman

dalman Member

Scola is a much older player. It took much more time for him to adapt to a new system than 20 years old young guy. But I think he is now a better player than Yi individually for sure. In two years, maybe Yi will be at Yao's level? Who knows.

I am a Raptors fan. After Bucks pounded Raptors, a lot people talked about Yi positively. Some people compared him to Bargnani and saying how weak the 2006 draft is. Even after one year playing in NBA, Bargnani is still not as good as Yi.

8. airmanz

airmanz Member

CV is not even playing much in this bucks team!

He is outperformed by Yi completely.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

wow lots of Yi fans out there.

Please, Villanueva is so far ahead of Yi on eevrything but the outside jumpshot at thiis point. We know that the coach got suqeezed to give Yi more minutes over CV, anyone who doesn't see that is just BLIND. Yi is a complete stiff on defense and offensively has no frigging clue what to do except hang around outside 20 feet. He doesn't get down there and do the dirty work like Scola.

The only reason why he has stats is because he's gettign forced minutes. It's completely stupid. At least when Yao got fed minutes it was because we didn't have a better option at Center. But watching Yi take minutes away from one of the better rebounders in the NBA is just a complete joke

10. SmitingPurpleEm

He is so stiff on defense, he leads the team in blocks. Also Bucks fans have nice things to say about his defense, perhaps since they actually watched him play they'd know him a little better? Their standards are probably lowered by no-defense players like Charlie V, Bogut, and Mo Williams, but they are calling him a candidate for their best defensive player.

Yi is outperforming Charlie. If he got his minutes due to a promise he surely is earning them now. It is entirely reasonable to earn your minutes after you get them by playing well in those minutes.

11. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

the comparison fails on many levels. primarily the Bucks are a bottom feeding Leastern conference team hoping for respectability while the Rockets are a good team seeking greatness in the most competitive division in pro sports.

the platform for rookies are vastly different in those scenarios.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That's not how all the Buck fans are saying in realgm and other bbs, they think Yi is going to be something real special (maybe a future Yao type).

13. hotballa

LOL so the standard for judging how well a guy does on D is blocks. Do you think Bowen or Batteir have a lot of blocks? NO you judge a guy's defense by how well he stays with his man, NOT by how well he blocks a guy who he's not even guarding. And I've watched him play twice now, and he is an abslute stif fon defense and completely lost on offense. He MIGHT be better than Andrea or CV later on but to say that he is better now is just complete BLIND.

14. hotballa

and how many Yao lovers did we have when he first showed up?

Homerism + ethnocentrism = Yi's hype

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yi's career is young, we will bring this up at the second Bucks Rocket game next year, by then we should have a much better picture of how good Yi is.

16. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I don't really know why we are comparing. Yi was a top lottery pick while Scola was a second rounder who we got for free (i know, lucky us). Scola is the more skilled player, but Yi is the more gifted athlete.

And I'm not buying the 20 years old thing. I've watched him play with Yao for like 4 or 5 offseasons now, and I don't believe that he was 15-16 back then

17. SmitingPurpleEm

Helpside defense is an important component of defense for a big. If he's blocking shots, then he's contributing on defense and not being a stiff. Haven't you learned that from years of watching Yao?

He is better than CV right now since Yi is outperforming CV. Not sure how you can deny what is obviously true. If he's doing nothing on offense other than hitting open shots, that's already better than Scola who is not hitting his open jumpers.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Balla, Charlie V is not SF3 and is not on Rockets. Give it up.

Strike two.

With that said, for Yi's size/height and athletic ability, he is rather a poor rebounder. Lots of room for improvement there.

#98 wnes, Nov 8, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  19. hotballa

no but he is a very talented and hard working guy who is getting screwed over big time because of politics. the bucks should just trade him to a team that doesn't have to pander to some foreign country.

20. hotballa

Yao's not a shot blocker, his strong points on defense is altering shots and changing shots.

At this point, I would still rather have Scola who hustles and does the little things that Yi doesn't while he's hanging out at the 3 pt line waiting for Redd or William's table scraps.