1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comparing Dwyane Wade to Clyde Drexler

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Miracles Boys33, Aug 12, 2013.

?

Would you compare Wade to Clyde Drexler

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. No

89 vote(s)
    54.3%
  3. Not sure

11 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Maybe

16 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Similar production but Clyde in his Portland years was just so damn silky smooth. Clyde was much bigger and stronger. Wade is a hybrid 1/2 where as Clyde was a 2/3. So naturally each would have skills and abilities that the other didn't have. Clyde was definitely more fun to watch in the open floor. 1 on 2 fast break 9/10 Wade ends up laying on the floor and 9/10 Clyde ends up on Sports Center.

2. DuDDleyDawsonII

Same here fav of all time the reason im a Rockets fan Wade had a better prime but Drexler had a longer prime and Wade had big time help from the refs in that Dallas series

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

and wade got miami to the finals and then won. and as a secondary player he has 2 titles. i'm not sure how those 2 points were supposed to go in clyde's favor.

when did clyde ever do anything like wade's 2006 ECF/Finals in back to back rounds? i believe he shot around 60% in the ECF against a very good defensive pistons team and then followed it up with one of the best finals performances ever.

i'm at work and can't get to basketball-reference right now but i've looked at these two in the past and i'm pretty sure wade's regular season PER/WS48 on a year to year basis outpaces clyde's by a decent amount. i don't think clyde ever went much above 25 in PER for a single season and wade has one of the few 30 PER seasons ever. and i think a similar story plays out in the playoffs. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

4. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Well, unless you think 15.9 is close to 14, I don't know when Wade did either. And I'd argue that Wade in the 2013 playoffs and Clyde in the 1996 playoffs are pretty similar numbers wise.

5. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Unfortunately, I have to agree. That being said, Wade didn't play Jordan. Pretty sure he would have lost that final too.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Both were excellent players in their prime.

Obviously both will be or already are HOFers.

I would give a slight (extremely slight) edge to Dwayne. But this is seriously like asking a 3 year old if they want ice cream or cake as a snack.

Both are great but you can only chose one..... that's an awfully tough decision.

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Wade is better. He was the best player on a championship team. Better alpha. Better defender.

9. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

A lot of people are selling Wade short. You don't have to like him, but at least recognize the talent in which he has and not base everything on this past post-season.

10. VBG

VBG Member

Wait, are you saying Wade isn't dominating on a fast break? What the ****?

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Heat would have smoked the bad boy era pistons - 4 straight.

Actually the 04 pistons would too.

The bad boy pistons laid a blueprint for the modern era. As did the empire state building. But the Freedom tower is taller

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Wade was the secondary player in all 3 title runs. Go look at miami heat record when he was out vs shaq being out. That so called washed up shaq should've won mvp the year before. Once lebron got to miami,let's not forget the garbage wade laid down vs chicago. If and when clyde had a poor playoff game,portland lost because he was the best player on the team bar none. Wade had the luxury when he had shaq and now lebron. Again, clyde packed terry porter,kevin duckworth,jerome kersey,and buck williams to 2 finals appearences. Shaq in 05 and 06 was better than anyone clyde ever played with prior to dream. They traded shaq and they go lotto land. Ok,wade battled some injuries. The nxt year,they barely made the playoffs and lost in rd 1. In fact,didn't they get swept?

13. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

To say the players are apple and oranges would be an overstatement. It's very hard to compare players, even if they share certain qualities.

14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

We can agree they are both top five all time shooting guards, right?

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Wade had great teammates that wore black and white stripes.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Clyde took his teams to finals as the #1, which Wade has never done.

17. ILoveWhiteGirls

Clyde would dunk on Wade.

18. Cranberry_Juice

It's hard to compare the two when the game has changed so much. DWade is a product of his era :

Lack of dominant centers
    zone defenses
    no hand checking rules

If Dwade were to play in Clyde's era, I highly doubt he would be as productive and don't let me get started on the 2006 championship. I have never seen so much ticky tack fouls given. Everytime dwade was touched, he was sent to the free throw line.

19. Fefo

Fefo Member

... actually wade took his team to the championship as #1. Are u trolling? do you forget the miami vs dallas series? Or u really think shaq was THE guy on that team? lol

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Probably Wade