1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

compared to other cities how big is our downtown??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by farhan007, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, it looks misplaced. Looks like some evil gateway to the netherworld that just sprang up out of the ground.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Does anyone know

if Tom from the Realiant Energy commericals standing on top of their new building. If so, that is a bad ass shot. I believe he's standing below the platform with the hole in the center.

3. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Umm, is it just me, or are they meaning to put the Petronas Towers in place of the CN Tower (as it is NOT a building)?

Perhaps they meant North America.

And, by the time it may be built (it won't) the Taipei building in Taipei, Taiwan will be the tallest building (competed next year).

World's Tallest Buildings

[​IMG]

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

3rd largest in the world?

I thought the tallest building in the world was the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur...

EDIT: Just checked...it is..

OOPS...Mooch beat me to it...

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Their old building is the one with the "table-top". That "platform" was added in the 80s. It didn't used to be there. Reliant's new building is also very cool, with frosted neon-looking lights that change colors on the top. It's going to be near the Main Street Square project with the fountains shooting water in arches over the MetroRail train passing below. Very cool stuff.

6. farhan007

farhan007 Member

so your saying houston is better than shanghai???

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It's not as crazy as you might think. The two tallest buildings in downtown Houston would be the 2nd and 3rd tallest in Shanghai. Most would argue Shanghai has the nicer skyline, though.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, but I sure would hate to have to sit in 59 or I-10 traffic on my bike. :D

9. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

I think Houston's downtown is definitely third in the nation....Dr. of Dunk, those numbers you had were for the uptown part of Houston, not downtown, right? None of the pages would open for me but the link is uptown houston.... The one thing that seperates Houston's downtown form Dallas is that most of DAllas' buildings are empty... and bye the way that tower will be way cool if they build it but that drawing is horrible.

10. farhan007

farhan007 Member

some pictures for those outside of h-town and are thinkin "houston... downtown... huh??"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    as you can see there is green space around d-town for it to grow...