1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Compaq Center (Summit) under 4 feet of water

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GimmeDaRock, Jun 10, 2001.

1. GimmeDaRock

GimmeDaRock Contributing Member

Just heard on NBC (channel 2). The floor actually was floating in the water. All offices, locker rooms and AC units are damaged. The Comets gave tomorrow (Monday) has been postponed. It is not known if the Thursday game will be played or where.

------------------
    GimmeDaRock
    --
    "I was there at Hofheinz and the AstroArena..."

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Unbelievable. I wonder what they're gonna do.

BTW, For those taking summer school, I just heard the University of Houston - Main Campus is closed for a week.

What is going on?

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited June 10, 2001).]

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

what's going on? where have you been for the past couple of days??

Houston was soaked in torrential downpours Friday and Saturday!!

Almost anything with a basement or lower/underground levels was toast, flooded, sopping wet!! The downtown tunnel system is flooded, the med center basements (where the power was?) flooded... it'll take days to clean up and restore power and utilities. Bad stuff...

too bad for the Summit... I wonder if they'll auction off/sell the ruined floor? [​IMG]

rH

------------------
    visit: The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!

visit: groovehouse.org

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Well, at least we know nobody was hurt, seeing as how it's always empty.

5. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Maybe they'll build a new arena [​IMG]

------------------

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Maybe the Lakers could hold their practices there.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

It's back...

Protrolls.com!

7. Smokey

Cool [​IMG]

------------------

8. Smokey

Yes, I know. I meant that in a "I can't believe the crazy weather" kinda way. Not literally.

------------------

9. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

rockhead.. thats what I was thinking but I'd think the compaq center has flood insurance and i doubt the insurance company woudl be letting them sell off the old court if they have to pay for a new one

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

gimme.. i head this as well on 2.. i'm supirsed i didn't hear about it yesterday.. i posted it in an ongoing thread on the rocket part of teh board (didn't start a new thread for it though) cause it shocked me so much.. is enron field flooded?

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

11. rockHEAD

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Enron was on the "high side" of downtown. Everything south of about Caroline was far enough from Buffalo Bayou and high enough that it avoided any real problems. Downtown actually slants up between the theater district and the east side of downtown where Enron and George R. Brown are and where the new arena will be.

------------------
    The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas. - Futurama

13. rockHEAD

Saw The Summit (Compaq Ctr) on the news last night... the whole floor (playing floor) and first two rows of seats were underwater! This included all first level offices (Rudy T's office) all locker rooms and anything else that was on the ground floor. FLOODED!!

They showed Rudy's office, just stuff everywhere.. it was under 4' of water and all the memorabilia and stuff was soaked. I just about cried...

The locker rooms will have to be rebuilt, along with everything else on that level.

Even though the Rockets/Comets have 2 years left in the Summit, they still must rebuild and repair everything... the news footage was just sad... they showed the soaked floor in pieces, stacked up. They showed where the water level had crested..it was on the 2nd row from the floor.

**sigh**

rH

------------------
    visit: The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!

visit: groovehouse.org