1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Commercial Appeal] Swift has yet to report, or return calls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by barbourdg, Jul 26, 2006.

1. rickylee888

rickylee888 Contributing Member

yep, me too. he was a free agent and could have gone to a number of different places, especially since he accepted the MLE. so after just 1 year, he was sent packing.

he was truly stabbed in the back...business is business I guess.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Give me a break. Sure, I felt kind of bad for him as a person right after the trade, but the bottom line is he didn't produce on a consistent basis. Whether it was his fault or the systems fault, we don't know. He's still getting paid plenty.

3. Asian Sensation

It would be nice if the Grizzlies cut him and we can pick him up. Like him or not he was an asset for us in terms of depth at the 4 and 5 when we go small.

4. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Memphis will drop him, sign with the Rockets again for even less, and then we'll trade him back to Memphis next year.

5. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

I agree. But I don't really buy into the "it was the system" crap that many will try to use to justify his lackluster performance. At some point, you really have to live up to that potential that people have talked about for years.

What boggles my mind is that he accepted less money to come here. Honestly, if he wasn't going to try a lot harder, why not just take the money. You know the end result (playing-wise) would be the same. So what I'm getting at is, maybe he really thought he would be able to take it to the next level. Obviously he didn't, so either he doesn't care enough, doesn't work hard enough, or ISN'T that potential everyone hopes he lives up to.

If he really wanted it badly enough, he could have overcome the system. And I'll say that for every player and stand by my words. I don't mean to say that one person won't "flourish" in one system over another, but it shouldn't be a make-or-break kind of situation.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

7. RodrickRhodes

RodrickRhodes Member

This is all JVG's fault. I don't blame Swift for not reporting and not returning calls from the Griz. He took less money to come and play for Houston and his reward for doing so was a trade back to where he came from. Stro's contract was a bargain for the Rockets. I know JVG has a seething hatred for Stro, but why couldn't J-Ho be the filler for cap reasons? When will JVG's lust for that overpaid cancer/sunglasses thief/herpes giver ever end? When will JVG do his job and develop players? What are his apologists gonna say when Rudy Gay becomes a star? The only player left from when JVG took over the Rockets is Yao and he's wasting good years of T-Mac's and Yao's career with his crappy style of b-ball. If the Rockets win next season it will be in spite of JVG not because of him. Either way, I don't expect him to be around much longer and the day he and the rest of his goons from NY leave will be a joyous day for me.

8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

That'd be priceless.

9. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

should have traded howard to them instead

10. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

Please do not hate i love battier but i can not help but wonder if Swift and Gay could have gotten us R-jefferson or Rashard lewis? Again i am not the one that brought back the thoughts. Just curious if we could have gotten either of those guys or even if we would prefer either.

11. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

Dude why would they drop him they will have that money counting against the cap for 4 more years any way.

12. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

This is like a cruel joke to play on Swift. After all he went through trying to adapt to Van Gimpy and boom he's right back in the place he thought he escaped from.

West will trade Stro and we'll know once and for all if Stro really has negative trade value.

13. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Good luck Stro. I will cheer for you when I see you play if the other team is not the Rockets.

14. Sextuple Double

15. tchenps

tchenps Member

On a positive note Stro, being out of Rockets' roster may be the best thing that happens to you.

Sincerely,
    Shandon Anderson, James Posey, and Derek Anderson

16. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Another positive note is that if the Rox would of drafted Gay and kept him he would of been a bust for sure, who was the last successful Draft pick of the Rockets...Cuttino Mobley?

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Rockets did Stro dirty. He could've picked up more money on a different team. Loyalty is mostly an illusion for both parties that only a few rare stars can ever claim to be real.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

No he couldnt....NJ was the only team that would have given him more but he signed before the Shareef deal went sour.

19. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

Remember the Alan Henderson corolary? The league cracked down on it, so it can't be done in an obvious manner. However, what if there were a tacit agreement that Stro would not report, Memphis would wiave him and the Rox would claim him off waivers? Would that work?

20. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

I don't know . . . I hear Yao Ming is not too bad.