1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Commentary]: The Railroading of Michael Flynn

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, May 21, 2020.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What Happened & Why (it matters):

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/articles/eli-lake/michael-flynn-gets-railroaded-by-the-fbi/

Flynn did not then know that leaders of the FBI and the Justice Department were out for his head. They suspected he was a Russian agent—despite the fact that a counterintelligence investigation into Flynn launched five months earlier by the FBI had found no evidence for such a claim. Three weeks into the Trump administration, the Flynn hunt bagged its trophy. The newly installed national-security adviser was compelled to quit. The stated rationale was that Flynn had lost the confidence of the new vice president because he had supposedly misled Mike Pence about some phone calls between Flynn and the Russian ambassador to the United States. That those phone calls became public knowledge was almost certainly the result of Obama-administration leaks of highly sensitive intelligence information.

<snip>

Since Shea’s motion was entered before Judge Emmet Sullivan, Democrats and the FBI’s defenders have raged at the injustice of it all. Obama himself, in comments to his administration’s alumni, said, “That’s the kind of stuff where you begin to get worried that basic—not just institutional norms—but our basic understanding of rule of law is at risk. And when you start moving in those directions, it can accelerate pretty quickly, as we’ve seen in other places.”

This is now the party line for the resistance—to its immense discredit. On May 12, Judge Sullivan ruled that he will hear arguments for Flynn’s guilt from outside parties, further delaying when Flynn will learn his fate.

What Jensen uncovered in his review was not only an injustice against Flynn but an assault on the peaceful transition of presidential power. The FBI’s job is not to entangle the new president’s national-security adviser in a spurious investigation. Justice is not served when dubious threats of prosecution are leveraged to get political opponents to plead guilty to lies they did not tell.

<snip>

Just who was the FBI when Comey was its director and Strzok was overseeing the investigation into Flynn and Trump–Russia? Their FBI lied to the surveillance court on multiple occasions and led the public to believe it had a powerful cause to suspect a conspiracy between Trump and Russia when it didn’t have the goods. It not only did “tolerate…improper behavior.” Their FBI exemplified it.

And that is a bitter irony for the republic. When Flynn was designated to become Trump’s national-security adviser, much of Washington remembered his angry speech the prior summer at the Republican convention when he had led the crowd in the chant of “lock her up” that so startled and upset Susan Rice. A line had been crossed in that episode: A retired three-star general and the candidate he was advising had chosen to treat their political opponent like a criminal.

Little did Flynn know that only five months later, that was exactly what the FBI and Justice Department would do to him.

cml750, Astrodome and B@ffled like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, the Flynn is an innocent victim narrative has already been thoroughly debunked.

Its just propaganda at this point.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's becoming increasingly obvious the pro trump pundits are not very smart and don't do much research.

They latch on to some random thing and run with it without actually looking at the underlying facts, This Obamagate and Flynn thing has been embarrassing at least the Biden-Burisma thing had a ring of truth and could be reasonably debated about the ethics of people benefitting from the family name.

5. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

basso likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Lol.... Globalist, Traitor Flynn couldn’t afford proper representation and was railroaded....

Maybe don’t hire a Turkish lobbyist for your American presidential campaign...

adoo likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Will a conservative explain to me how we go after white collar crime and organized crime?

Have we ever worked our way up the chain of an organization?

8. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I'm impressed that you'd even concede there's a chance of the Burisma thing of having a small possibility that the ethics of it might be questionable. I thought it was toe the line and never give an inch to the rightwing nuts. Let's let the Burisma thing play out with the Graham investigation and we can all decide what we think once we have more information.

I also take exception with your assertion about doing research. I'm currently researching what kind of pickups I want to put in the guitar I'm building. I think that my file should be updated to reflect that. :D

generalthade_03 likes this.
  9. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Put Rudy on it. Simple.

10. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

You should post his retracted plea too. It would bring a fair context to whatever point you're trying to make.

cml750 likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Verbal gymnastics aside, when you lie to Pence, you're lying to The Bible.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Deckard likes this.
  13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eli Lake, the author of this piece you did not read, is what the Trumpistas would refer to as a "cuck."

do more research next time.

and read the article

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Asha Rangappa

Is pretty amazing. And she clearly laid out the flaws in Lake's presentation of the case.

16. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Dude, I didn’t know you played? I’ve been a guitarist all my life and play a few more instruments. I’m playing with a blind guitarist out of SoCal, we’re a duo.

B@ffled likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a real Cheetah in the wild

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Flynn should be tried for treason. The right loves to turn its criminals into heros

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://jonathanturley.org/2020/05/...secutorial-misconduct-as-an-article-of-faith/

excerpt:

As a criminal defense attorney, I have been personally involved in cases where innocent defendants must choose between effective bankruptcy (and the risk of a longer incarceration) against a plea for one or two counts. To his credit, Harvard Professor Noah Feldman was one of the few to acknowledge the problem of false pleas: “True, we all understand that, faced with the awesome power of prosecution, defendants sometimes plead guilty even if they aren’t. Liberals should be the first to acknowledge that in the real world, a guilty plea doesn’t necessarily mean the defendant committed the crime.” After acknowledging that reality, however, Feldman immediately dismisses it in a spellbinding level of circular reasoning: “But when the crime was lying, and the government still acknowledges that the defendant in fact did lie, there is less reason to worry that the defendant has been railroaded.”

Once again, the issue was never the falsity but the intent of the statement. Proof of a false statement to federal investigators under Section 1001(a)(2) requires more than a simple false statement. Rather, the false statement must be “material” to the underlying investigation. The motion to dismiss actually contained a discussion that has long been made by defense counsel as the correct reading of the law: “The materiality threshold thus ensures that misstatements to investigators are criminalized only when linked to the particular ‘subject of [their] investigation’ …[and] prevents law enforcement from fishing for falsehoods” to charge someone. Newly released documents show officials openly fishing for any criminal charge against Flynn long after the counterintelligence operation from no criminality. None of that evidence was put before the Court when it reviewed the Flynn plea, which was uncontested.

Moreover, the statement of the Justice Department should be celebrated by those who believe in due process for criminal defendants. The Flynn filing represents a powerful statement against prosecutorial coercion and abuse. It will be cited for years, including by this criminal defense attorney, in future cases. It is a powerful affirmation in a case with classic elements of coercive prosecutorial misconduct. Yet, the media has denounced it and the very notion of challenging trial prosecutors in such a case.​

B@ffled, basso, cml750 and 2 others like this.
  20. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Been playing maybe 40 plus years (I'm 50). I'm building a Warmoth to the Pete Thorn signature spec. I love my Charvel but I want something that's my own. I don't care about resell value.

Astrodome and generalthade_03 like this.