1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Commentary] Don Chaney > Clyde Drexler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 11, 2009.

?

Is Don Chaney a better commentator than Clyde?

Poll closed Feb 10, 2009.
  1. Yes, Don is a better commentator.

70.7%
  2. No, Don is NOT a better commentator.

29.3%
  1. ClutchCityReturns

Yes or no?

I think yes. Undoubtedly, yes.

2. gta

gta Member

no he's not :cool:

3. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

They should switch places.

4. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I vote that they both stink.

5. eckostylez

eckostylez Member

Clyde is a bit funnier although more annoying than Chaney.

Besides, all the GOOD color commentators so far have been retired/ex-Rockets players. (I don't consider Van Chancellor a commentator whatsoever)

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I thought he was 100x better

is it just me or is Worrell getting worse. I think Bullard is the best of the 3 right now

7. v3.0

v3.0 Member

[Fertilizer] horse manure > cow manure

Don and Clyde are both guilty of talking alot, but not really saying much. And alot of the stuff they say are Captain Obvious material.

8. Blake

Blake Member

Clyde.

Can't believe I chose Clyde over anyone, but Chaney just wasn't comfortable at all and had to be asked questions because he wasn't talking

9. Ismail

Ismail Member

Clyde has much more passion for the game, it seems. Plus, I didn't like the total homerism going on between Worrell and Chaney. They were complaining about the charge by Yao on Duhon, and then on the other end congratulating Yao for taking the charge.

Albeit the circumstances were different, but they were saying things like "I really think you should go for the block" and "that's not basketball." I mean, the homerism is nice once and a while, but it's getting to the point where they should call the game and not call the officials.

Worrell is getting Tom Heinsohn-esque with his consistent complaining. At least Gene and Pete made sense when they complained.

10. Blake

Blake Member

I don't understand why anyone would complain about Worrell being a homer. I love that he loves the team...and he should...he's a native Houstonian, went to UH and has been covering local teams for 20 years...

When I watch the games, I prefer to have a CC who really likes the team. Now if we could just have Bullard 100% of the time with him...

Or better yet, bring back MURPH

11. Ismail

Ismail Member

I am not complaining about him being a homer in that he loves the team. That's great, get excited when plays happen. But to change your opinion when a play goes against you is not fair. Worrell used to make comments about how the refs weren't consistent, which is a legitimate gripe. But to say "that's not basketball" is kinda dumb. Maybe I am nit-picking and I am in the minority. I grew up with Bill and Calvin, so it's not like I don't have love for the guy. I'd just like some consistent commentating, and it seems ever since Calvin has been gone he hasn't been great. Even him and Van had good chemistry.

That being said, he's still a top 10 commentator for me.

12. blender

blender Member

On a random sidenote, I was watching the New York feed of the game and I have to say that Walt "Clyde" Frazier of the MSG network has the best vocabulary of any sports commentator. Kids' SAT scores could go up by listening to him.

13. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Well, I have to say I prefer Don over 'Glyde' Drexler.But Bill Worrell would be on my list of top 10 commentators.BTW,I like Jeff Van Gundy's commentating style:)

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Chaney is a hundred times better than Clyde. Make the switch!

15. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

I love Walt Frazier. And for that matter, Hubie Brown. And for that matter, Dr. Jack Ramsay (a little old school there). But I guess I just like commentators who are educated and know the sport. Hence my extreme distaste for Clyde effin Drexler.

16. HAKEEM4EVER

HAKEEM4EVER Member

Chaney is better but I feel more comfortable hearing Drexler. Drexler is always good for a laugh or two during the course of a game. As for Bullard, he's the man but I wish he would stop trying to shove the "Earth, Wind, & Fire" thing down our throats. It's not going over hahahaha j/k. And 90% of the time he begins his sentences with "when I played..". Lol. Jus messin. Love all dem guys!

17. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

YES Chaney is by a landslide! I love Clyde, but if I have to hear his lazy droning voice during a Rockets game one more time Im going to jab my eardrums out with a a very sharp pencil.

18. ibm

ibm Member

hmm what? clyde is not "educated and know the sport"? :mad:

bring back murph!

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

Then he should do his research and know the players on the teams in the rest of the league.

He commented at least like 4 times that "they are playing a bunch of people no one knows"

Like the guys on our bench are so horrible that no one need bother knowing their name.

Of course, our no names were beating them... so maybe he ought to learn their names.

20. blender

blender Member

Sorry. Frazier's too busy rhyming and educating to be learning role players' names.

To be fair, most NY viewers who tuned in probably said "Where's McGrady? Where's Artest? Who's the young guy with a mohawk and the long-haired Argentinian, and why are they destroying my team?"

Sweet.