1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coming to Houston next week. Recommendations on Restaurants and Cool Things to do.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dream34, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

I will be arriving in Houston next Wednesday (Aug 13) around 2pm and leaving Sunday (Aug 17) around 4pm. I will be travelling with my wife and 6 year old son. We are tenatively scheduled to stay at Residence Inn Houston-West University 2939 Westpark Drive. I was also considering the SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/Reliant Park 1400 Old Spanish Trail (Medical Center area). Both are costing around $550 for the entire stay. Are these decent locations or should I look elsewhere like near the Galleria Mall? I know the Springhill Suites is very close to Reliant Stadium. Not sure how far the other property is from Reliant.

We are scheduled to see the Kenny Chesney and Keith Urban concert at Reliant stadium on Saturday evening. I am looking forward to seeing what Reliant stadium looks like from the inside. It looks absolutely amazing from what I have seen when I am watching my Titans beating up on the Texans... :D :p ;) (Sorry I had to throw that in!!!)

I know the Astros are in town that weekend. So I was thinking of taking the family to the game on Friday night. I think they are playing the Giants but not sure. Any place you recommend sitting or eating while at Minute Maid? Is it easy to walk up to the stadium and get tickets or should I buy them on Ticketmaster? Which is the least expensive route to go?

Welcome any recommendations to good Tex-Mex or other restaurants that I should definately check out as well as any attractions I could see or do with the family? Do you guys recommend Johnson Space Center or is it boring? I was thinking it may be interesting for my 6 year old.

My wife wants to do some shopping as well. What nice shopping malls would you recommend based on where we are staying?

She wants to buy some nice Pakistani outfits and so we are definately planning to spend some time at the Paki boutiques on Hillcroft. Many to choose from.

Well thats about it as we are looking forward to our mini trip to H-Town so I welcome your recommendations. Thanks in advance.

2. flipmode

flipmode Member

Johnson Space Center is probably the signature attraction for Houston, like NYC's Empire State Building or Chicago's Sears Tower... worth a visit, kids should love it.

Shopping - go to the Galleria... and that's about it. It's the only place worth going to on a mini-trip... maybe Memorial City Mall, and maybe Highland Village too...

Astros - you can probably just walk up. Not too hard to get tickets at the box office, plus you avoid Ticketmaster's crappy "service" charges.

That area your hotel is in... is not such a great area. Definitely not scenic. I would suggest looking more closely at the Galleria area. Look on hotwire.com for good bargains.

For Tex-Mex - Lupe Tortilla or Pappasito's are the best in town. Anyone else want to argue, let's go meet in the parkin' lot... :D

Enjoy your trip!

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

4. Dream34

Thanks for the feedback flipmode...

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Lupe Tortilla is really good.

Escalantes is the PF Changs of tex-mex.

Canyon Cafe kicks ass as well.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Is Fonde Summer League still going?

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Go to Austin.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Them's fightin' words! Head to the East End if you want truly good Mexican or Tex-Mex. If you head down there, you'll never head to the bland food in other parts of town again. Don Carlos on 76th is quite good and El Jardin was recently featured in the New York Times as being one of the foremost examples of what Tex-Mex should be. Mambo Parrilla on Harrisburg is the best value though, for the amount of food, flavor, and lack of English you get you though.

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The only good Lupe Tortilla is the original near I-10 & Hwy 6. The rest of them suck donkey balls.

Want good TexMex? Teotihuacan, baby! 1511 Airline Drive between Cavalcade & North Main.

10. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Never buy any sports ticket on ticketmaster and unless you like to burn $$. You can get cheap lower level astros tickets on eBay. With Tex-Mex you can try the orignial Ninfa's (2704 Navigation Blvd.) or Little Papasito's (2536 Richmnond Ave.) Only get the fajitas here, anything else is crap. Also Lupe Tortillas (2414 SW Freeway). Which is the 59/Grennbriar exit. Other resturatns, try Max's Wine Dive 4720 Washington Ave. Taste of Texas 10505 Katy Freeway.

11. Landlord Landry

Hillcroft has some decent hookers.

12. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

If Hillcroft has some decent hookers = Favre dealt to Packers and presser in an hour...then you're giving misinformation again.

13. astros148

astros148 Member

Hit up the Galleria for sure for shopping, why would you even ask lol?

Hit up hilcroft and wilcrust, theres some paki shops there too to buy clothes for your wife. And yes you def. have to check out the Space Station, and Astros games are loads of fun, should have a blast!

14. Landlord Landry

thats wierd. I never said Favre was dealt to the Packers. :p

15. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Ha! It's not a lie if you believe it....

16. Landlord Landry

why would I believe Favre was dealt to the team he was already on? ;)

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

second that

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

3 good shopping options in the area (besides the Pakistani boutiques).

1. Galleria
    2. Rice Village (right by Rice University close to West U)
    3. Highland Village

As far as good Tex-Mex in that area, I would seriously consider the original Ninfa's on Navigation St. The other Ninfa's are terrible. Lupe Tortilla's has great beef fajitas and an area for the kids to play.

And RM Tex knows his Tex-Mex. Teo is amazing

19. Dream34

Thanks for the great feedback. I think we have several good options for Tex Mex covered. I noticed when I was flying through Houston once that they even have a Pappasitos in the airport. It was pretty good if I recall correctly.

I think I will pass on the Hooker recommendation. I am sure that will not fly as a good recommendation with the wife.

I am really looking forward to seeing H-Town without feeling rushed. I only wish I could pull in a Rockets game. Oh well. Checking out 2 of the 3 major sporting venues will be cool enough. I am really pumped about seeing Reliant. That place looks AMAZING....

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Galleria = two birds/one stone.

Ice rink for your kid.
    Shops for your wife.

I wouldn't stay at the hotel near Reliant ...it's not too nice around there. The other place is probably nice enough. Galleria is also nice of course.

Another option is Hotel Icon downtown. You can take the train to Reliant. They also have a hotel taxi at your disposel. If you stay downtown somewhere else, try to stay within a few blocks of Icon because that is where the action is. Everywhere else is dead.

I'm not a big fan of Nasa cause it's just a tourist trap now and pretty expensive ...like $20 ea. But a 6 year-old would have fun. Also nearby is Kemah boardwalk that has lots of stuff going on during the weekend esp after dark.

Ninfa's on Navigation is the standard that all TexMex is judged against. Often have long lines, however.

Rice Villiage has lots of shopping and eating ...but it's ourdoors. Don't go midday.