1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coming around to Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jun 25, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

If the Rockets Legend™ says so… ;)

#141 J.R., Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Real men shoot 5 attempts per game, boys shoot 1.2.

Haha, just messing with you Big D. You and your West Coast Bias. Lol

I don't judge NBA players on the first 13 games of the season good or bad.
    Some average players shoot .500 from 3 from October thru mid Nov.

#142 ApacheWarrior, Jun 25, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm fine if we pick Green but for the love of god stop with the Kobe comps. You guys have completely forgotten what kind of player Kobe was if you are making that comparison.

saleem, supaflyz, sydmill and 3 others like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Don’t you know…
    Green is Kobe, LaVine, Beal combined.
    Mobley is Bosh, Gasol, AD combined. Unicorn. Generational talent. Never seen before.

How the hell can the Rockets go wrong?

:D:rolleyes:

I agree. Comps have gotten out of hand.

saleem, robbie380, JayGoogle and 2 others like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

That isnt something you can determine in 1 yr of college. Fame and fortune changes people in a way you cant predict.

Melo was a basketball junkie and bball was the only thing that distracted him from the guns, drugs and violence that was happening in the hood. He has been competing in bball tournies since he was a kid thats why in college he was the most skilled and polished player in his draft class and people were clamoring for him to be no 1 based on his mix of skills and scoring ability and the fact that he played against NCAA comp instead of going straight from high school.

Lebron was a lot rawer, he came from a small school nobody knew and flirted with both football and basketball. He was a wide receiver at the same time he was playing in the HS bball team and debating on where he'd earn more. His main criticism was he lacked shooting and basically any bball skills all he really was is an athletic sf version of shaq, didnt know anything except dunk.

You'd think given their background Melo would be the one passionate about the game and honing his skills whereas Lebron would be the one coasting on his abilities but thats not how their careers turned out. Thats why I laugh when people here say Green has that mamba mentality while Mobley doesnt care about bball all because of their interviews.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Guess you havent been reading the thread. More than a few times, posters have claimed he's the second coming of MJ.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. bmd

bmd Member

Green’s hang time, ability to glide through the air and finish with style at the rim, while being 6’6” with a slight build reminds me a lot of young MJ.

Obviously I’m not saying he’s gonna be MJ. That aspect of his game just reminds me of young MJ.

D-rock, Denovo and ApacheWarrior like this.
  8. Rockets4Life13

Comparisons make no sense at all anyway.
    Every player is different. You’re just putting limitations on who they could be on players that aren’t yet fully grown up.

putting a ceiling on anyone is just stupid, especially since the comparisons always look for similarities outside of the actual skills.
    How many times have i read that some euro guy is compared to another euro guy... based on them both being euros?? Makes no sense at all. Also, white guys always compare to white guys - what a coincidence.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Green's game is really exciting to watch. Chose him.

Ottomaton likes this.
  10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Jalen green is moot. Pistons will pick Mobley and we will get cade. Have faith

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

If the Rox do decide on Green they should call the Cavs. Last thing Cavs wanna do is draft another guard to add to their roster so call them and tell them you are gonna pick Mobley unless they make you change your mind.

Do what Boston did with Tatum and trade down but still get the player you wanted all along.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ is huge, and possibly a perfect complement to JG.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The Cavs are reportedly looking to trade Sexton (and Allen for that matter), I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that if the Cavs had the 2nd pick, they'll be taking Mobley.

Boston for Tatum was quite different, in that Fultz and Ball were the clear 1 and 2, but Tatum and Josh Jackson were the clear 3 or 4 (with Tatum sometimes ranked at 4).

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

How? JG needs a Lonzo ball type of facilitator who is a 3 pt sniper and elite defensively. KPJ needs a klay thompson, an off the ball dead eye shooter who can defend the best guys 1-3.

You can even argue KPJ and Green arent good fits as both need the ball to be effective and neither plays defense, they are arguably the same player just that KPJ has more playmaking while Green is more athletic and a better shooter. Together, they'd have a "Your turn, my turn" offense and neither will play any defense unless Green decides he'll be Klay Thompson 2.0 (which he admittedly can be if he wants).

Mobley is a better fit to KPJ as KPJ can set him up for lobs and easy layups while Mobley's defensive presence offsets KPJ's bad D.

#154 roslolian, Jun 25, 2021
    sydmill likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

They are looking to trade Allen if they get Mobley.
    Allen isnt going anywhere if they get Green. I dunno if they plan to trade sexton or not doesnt matter they still got Okoro and Garland.

Mobley is the clear no 2 if you just base it on mock drafts. I'd say 80-90% of mocks are Mobley. Learning that Green is 6'6 without shoes instead of 6'5 makes me feel a lot better taking Green, but if the Rox do take Green they should give the Cavs a call first.

#155 roslolian, Jun 25, 2021
  16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I know people who were on the receiving end of Kobe in this game. Lmao.

17. bmd

bmd Member

We’re too early in the rebuild to be worrying about fit. You go for the best player available at this point in a rebuild and then start shuffling guys around who will fit together later on once you figure out what you have.

18. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This is a really smart post. (Seriously!) Thanks.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Where did you see his without shoes height at 6'6"? Everything I've seen is 6'4" without shoes for him.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That was his official G-League measurements before the season. They measure without shoes.

robbie380 likes this.