1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Comic Books: Who reads? What ya Read?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I stopped reading comics like 6 months ago.
    I kinda miss it.

I big on X-men and Spawn

Rocket River

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This seems embarrasing now but I read X-Men for a long time. Up to 96 maybe. I loved the Jim Lee era, some good memories from comics. From what I gather they are now overpriced and have gone downhill.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Gone Down Hill and OverPrice is accurate.

Rocket River

4. Ren

Ren Member

I stoped collecting and buying comics right after the whole Onslaught and Heroes reborn aftermath.

I was a major Surfer fan!!!

I read:
    The Silver Surfer
    Wolverine
    The Incredible Hulk
    Spawn
    Uncanny X-men
    Preacher
    ANYTHING made by Chaos(Evil Ernie,Lady Death,Purgatory)

I do miss it,ALL the time,but if I go to a comic book store I will have to buy something and I just cant get back into it:(

I still have lots of my comics,like my #1s and I still have the 1st 50 Spawns and a crap load of Surfer,Spiderman,Hulk,and X-Men books!

I re-read some of them sometimes,I have a 6 book mini-series called the Black Lamb,it is really good,IMO.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I used to love reading comics. I still have a huge collection.

xmen,
    surfer,
    spidey

And I usually picked up any comic with art I liked.

Once they hiked up the price to 2 dollars an issue I had to kiss them goodbye though. I really don't understand that heroes reborn crap either. Ah well.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Heroes reborn looks like it alienated all of us. That marks the spot of Marvel's decline.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I'm mostly a DC guy. Have really slowed down in the last year or so, but I've tried to stay somewhat up to date.

One thing that does make me happy are the Superman titles. These were my favorite books when I was a kid and I collected them religiously. But after the Death and Return, they really ran out of steam. Right now they are the best they have been in years.

Other great reads (some you'll have to find in collections):

James Robinson's Starman series is simply fantastic
    Astro City
    Kevin Smith's doing an good job with Green Arrow right now
    Hitman, though ultra-violent, had a good run

And, uh, that's all I can think of for now...

8. Gascon

Gascon Member

Sin City ........ a must read.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think u r right
    I tried to hang afterwards but the whole
    things was just mush after that.
    Marvel is a collections of sub-verses
    instead of one big thing

X-men Verse
    FF Verse
    Daredeveil Verse
    etc . ..

Rocket River
    I USE TO LOVE MILESTONE COMICS!!!

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I used to read <b>Conan</b> comics, but gave that up years ago.

Nowadays, the only comics I read are the exciting adventures of <b>Hurricane Helms</b>.

11. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I tend to buy books based on the author. My favorites:

Alan Moore
    Garth Ennis
    Warren Ellis
    Greg Rucka
    Brian Michael Bendis
    Jeph Loeb
    Mark Millar
    Mark Waid
    Kevin Smith
    Brian Azzarello
    Brian K. Vaughn
    Frank Miller
    Grant Morrison

Yeah, I know it makes me a pretty big geek to be able to rattle of the names of 10 comic book authors of the top of my head ... but we're all allowed one nerdy indulgence. :)

Of course, I did watch the X-Files every week, so I guess that's two nerdy indulgences ...

12. buffalospeedway

i stopped collecting right when the sandman ended. haven't gone back, it's just too expensive. i started collecting, like, 14 years ago with spiderman, x-men and any other mutant titles, avengers, batman, justice league, etc.

then i got into vertigo stuff like sandman, doom patrol (one of my all time faves), hellblazer, and moonshadow.

but about 7 years ago i gave it all up, due to the fact that i was in college and had to provide for myself.

i still have all my comics, though. wouldn't trade em for anything.

unrelated houston weather comment: are we all going to float away again, or what? :eek:

13. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I collect action figures (mostly Star Wars, but really anything that catches my fancy) so I'm pretty 'in tune' with the comic book ups and downs, as comics and their various toy lines usually run together in terms of 'whats hot.'

I'd love to see a surge of comic and superheros popularity. Batman is still pretty big as far as the traditional superhero goes, though really it is not the classic Batman we all know and love in his most recent reincarnation of "Batman Beyond." The new Spiderman movie should bring some good momentum with it into the world of action figures and comic books alike.

Certain licenses will always have their niches with fans and collectors, though. Newer comics like Spawn, Chaos!, and Darkhorse have been 'what's hot' for a good while now. I'd still really like to see a resurgance of the classic superheros, though.