1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[comedian]Clyde The Glyde

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by boomboom, Jan 6, 2007.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Living in Vegas doesn't afford me the opportunity to hear the Rockets' broadcast crew very often (I have to utilize League Pass)...but lately, it seems that Clyde has really started showing his true talent. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Bill Worrell should back off and let Clyde take his five minute stand up act to the masses every time that Dikembe gets a foul. The show that Clyde puts on after Deke commits a foul and has the "There is no possible way in hell that any living organism should have called me for a foul" look is flat out hilarious. The wife and I are rolling with Clyde's impersonation of Deke. But for some crazy reason, Clyde always sticks in a "MON" at the end of his ribbing at Deke. Hey Clyde, Dikembe is not from Jamaica. :)

Great stuff...I'm really starting to warm up to Clyde. I think he is feeling a lot more comfortable in his role now. Especially if he keeps mimicking Dikembe after called fouls!

2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Last season Clyde was worse than stale bread!...but I have
    to admit he has improved tremendously this year....
    but he's not no Calvin Murphy!.....BRING BACK CALVIN!

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Clyde has gotten better, but Calvin was awesome. I remember when Steve and Cuttino ran a back door play and Bill commented on it. Calvin couldn't stop laughing as he took it Steve+Cuttino=back door/Lovers. Anyways, I miss that guy, I wonder what he's been up to.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Last season Clyde was worse than stale bread!...but I have
    to admit he has improved tremendously this year....
    but he's not no Calvin Murphy!.....BRING BACK CALVIN!

That's my impression of Clyde since he usually just repeats what Bill Worrell previously said. :D

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i watch every single game and i have no idea where you guys hear this improvement. he's still as terrible as he was from day one last season.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's terrible. I don't see much improvement for him over last year. The big difference is we're winning home games this season, while last year we weren't. Drexler's inane commentary is easier to handle when you're not already in a foul mood because of the way the team is playing.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Drexler is terrible. It's really hard to listen to the broadcasts.

8. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

[clyde]He's still terrible AND HE HAS NO IDEA.... what you guys are talking about[/clyde]

9. BamBam

I don't think he's terrible but you do have a valid point that
    his commentary is easier to handle when we're winning!...
    heck everything is better when we're winning! :D

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think it's funny that the first and second posters in this thread are "boomboom" and "BamBam". :D

11. BamBam

Hey leave us alone ...we're part of the (Killer B's) :D

12. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Clyde's commentary is a little over the top but his Deke is pretty good. I much prefer him to the stutter-box that is Matt Bullard.

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

you gotta love Clyde

he is different then others, he does know a lot about basketball, but he has a hard way to express it....Clyde is not the usual professional broadcaster, but he does the job...entertain!

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

ahahaa :D

15. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Man, last game was a ball

Yet something did not seem right. You just couldn't feel the excitement from the broadcast team. Bill did OK, but the comments that follow by CLyde do not suport what Bill says. They have no chemistry (good thing the Rockets do :) ). Even an ubiased national tandem like Harlan and Doug boring Collins would do better

Calvin was the best. Clyde is a cliche box.

When you're a color commentator you have to analyze well and be somewhat entertaining. Doug Collins is not entertaining, but he's informative. Clyde is neither. Jon Barry is both. Calvin is both and some more

16. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

If history tells us anything, Calvin is probably setting up family franchises as fast as he can build them. :cool:

17. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I don't think there is any improvement. I believe people are just getting use to it and have accepted it.

18. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

without the Deke impersonations he is one of the worst out there...with the impressions hes just mediocre

19. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

He is beyond terrible, he should stick to playing basketball rather than commenting about it.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Clyde....oh man, i guess he's gotten a little smoother. But he still says so many stupid things.

Rockets playing good defense....

Bill: "Nice defensive stand by the Rockets there."

Clyde: "You know what they call that? Good defense."