1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Come on Stone *********!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jun 22, 2023.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You keep saying he's 6' 1" when he's 6' 3".

2. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

I may be wrong, but c'mon. Rockets overachieving have nothing to do with Stone. If anything, they would be better if Stone did not suck ass. The only good moves he's made are moves any GM in the world would have made.

Jags, daywalker02, maypk and 2 others like this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm saying we need some aggression! 1 significant conversation in 3 years aint gittin it! lol
    Let me at least how we lowballed - but got outbid... lets hear that we're at least doing our due diligence...
    1 season of Adams... next year... for 2nds and an expiring...fine... whatever... typical low investment gamble...
    any conversation that we were in that someone offered us something for Tate shoulda ended in a deal...

To go from Morey - who prob overdid it on his finagling and working every angle - to Stone who doesnt seem to have any sense of urgency is quite discombobulating... lol

4. OkayAyeReloaded

We're not in the era where we have an MVP and have to make urgent moves during a championship window. This is a rebuild where if you're impatient it can set you back years selling core young talent to become a treadmill team for short-term results.

Most of those playoff teams have guys older than our team with time together to grow. SGA is 25 with several losing seasons before this one, Minnesota has 28-year-old Kat, 31-year-old Gobert along with 22-year-old Ant.

Our core players are 19-21, you have to give them time, as in multiple seasons. Our fanbase isn't used to what a real rebuild is since after Hakeem.

5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

The only thing I'm not happy with is he couldn't bring in a short-term centre to help out. Maybe he has a target on the buyout market in mind.

eliefor3 likes this.
  6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Without Stone...............Whitmore and Sengun wouldn't be Rockets players. We also would be stuck after Morey left us with our cupboards bare.

You have to build a foundation before you put the house up.

7. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

We really don't know that. I can't assume what might have happened, i can only judge from what has happened

8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I hope the Rockets will go after Robin Lopez

9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

It's interesting you say that bc drafting senguin is not something every team would have done, esp okc bc they traded the pick. Drafting Eason, Whitmore is not something everyone would have done, we know that bc they fell to the Rockets so lots of teams passed on them.
    Not every team offered a contract to brooks or van fleet nor did every team with a vacancy offer a contract to ime.
    It's fine if you want to minimize his work, I certainly cant say I'm over the moon with him but you can't just act like every move that can't be critiqued is like the spurs picking wemby at 1

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I could have sworn I heard Kevin O'Connor say he's 6'1. Still on the small side though.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That mean I’m 6’1 myself

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

so then the plan is really to not make the playoffs for 6-7 years ?

I wish I had that kind of job security .

Hakeem and Sampson had us in the Wcf as 2nd and 3rd year players … yes they were older and came out of college

what’s your bar for stones success ?

there are many posters preaching patience . I agree , some patience is necessary… but what’s the bar . When do we judge him ?

stone made the comment when he traded harden till 2030 … in that case sign me up to be the next GM . I can get 10 years without having to break .500 because I’ll just get young guys

ramotadab likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every article I've seen shows him as 6' 3". According to this article that's pretty average. Besides, if he shoots better than guys an inch or two taller I wouldn't care if he was shorter. That also goes for passing, steals, and assist/turnover ratio.

THE AVERAGE NBA PLAYER HEIGHT 2024

These past few years the average point guard height lies somewhere around the 6’ to 6’3” range.

These days, shooting guards usually fall at around 6’3” to 6’5” tall.

https://www.lines.com/guides/average-height-nba-players/1519

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you only judge from what has happened why the hell are you saying Stone sucks?
    Stone drafted Jabari, Sengun, Whitmore, Amen, Cam
    Signed FVV, Brooks, Unc Green, will have Steven Adams next year
    Top 10 pick from Nets incoming
    Hired Ime

Rockets have a young exciting core and already reached their win total last season. "Judging from what happened" he did a great job.

ramotadab likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

We don't really know that. I can't assume what might have happened, I can only judge what happened.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hakeem is only one of the best centers ever and he started as a 22 yr old rookie. You expect Sengun to one up Hakeem? Lolwtf

Have you looked at how long rebuilding jobs in the league take? You should start from there. And yes before you pint out OKc, OKC is the rebuild master. You should look at other teams besides OKc.

ramotadab likes this.
  17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Lol. So stupid.

Trading Harden for 7 future picks, taking on the John Wall contract, the Silas hire, all these were moves ppl like you CRITICIZED but ended up giving us draft capital & the most cap space in the nba. Stone did the opposite of what you idiots wanted, successfully tanked, and got us the best coach in the league & TONS of young talent. Now it's any GM would've done it lol

ramotadab likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Very true, because without Stone Eli Witus would have been named GM.

That is actually quite an improvement..... He might be shy but he is good in my books.

slothy420 likes this.
  19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Put down the bong Stone! You totally spaced on the trade deadline!
    [​IMG]

ramotadab likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

More than a quarter of the board (was it half?) and all of ESPN Houston did not even believe that we were tanking. They thought we were trying to win and just failing unintentionally. For those people, I can understand why the ignorance can put you in an angry/confused loop. For everyone else, I don't understand how you can be upset when the report card started just 49 games ago and we're ahead of schedule already. The result of the two years of tanking is a complete and rapid turnaround. They picked the right coach, they acquired the right veterans together, they agreed to pay attention to the development of the Core 6. We all knew development was delayed, in fact you all thought the culture alone would take many more months than this to fix. We are exceeding expectations within 49 games. Please try to contextualize this because otherwise you will not understand why patience should even be an option. I've never in 20+ years seen a Rockets deadline more deserving of patience than this one (still would have loved a tiny deal for a backup C, but maybe we sign one).

We're playing all our young players and they're all under 22 still I believe. I know we can win a few more games if we shelve their development and just treat the situation like a full blown contender. It's not worth a few wins because the slowed development takes away near-future wins and additional assets. Jalen is the most disappointing young player we have and he leads all players under 22 in 30 point games while showing significant improvement in passing, rebounding and defense in just half a season under Udoka. We have 1.5 years to match a market offer on him and Sengun (i.e. almost 3 times more development time with Udoka). Jabari and Tari a year later. Amen and Cam a year after that. We're in a stupendous position. If 3 of these 6 are worth $30m+ per season, the moves we made on the margin in the meantime will be meaningless. Those 3 guys will be 90% of our answers and we just have to put good value, high-efficiency tough guys around them to be a contender.

#200 Mathloom, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024