1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast vs Uverse vs Direct TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bj83gc, Jan 15, 2015.

1. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

Sorry if this has been asked but i could not find anything on google that was helpful either. I have had comcast and the HD PQ was decent and i switched to dish, and it was great, but there were no rockets so thats not an option. I just moved and got uverse last week and the PQ looks bad, it only gives me an option for 1080i or 720p, and live sports seem blurry when slow motion tv shows look fine. I just bought a 60 tv from sams (great deal for $750 imo) and the quality looks GREAT on my xbox1, so now im back to being frustrated with my service provider. Im wondering if anyone here can help me decide who i should go with for TV service by giving comparisons of the HD picture quality. Thanks in advance

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have no complaints with DirecTV picture, but it does get expensive in the 2nd year. I know Uverse and Comcast are offering contract free options these days.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

DirecTV has easily the best HD picture in the United States.

You can even get $10 off a month by using a referral from a clutchfans.

If you send me an email through the board I will give you the information you need for the $10 off. It gets me $10 off as well so I'd appreciate it!

4. justtxyank

Dude Moes, don't let it get expensive. Call them and ask them to cut your price and they will. I talk to DTV quite often to get my price cut and get freebie channels. I'm probably in year 7 or 8 with them and I'm still paying under $80 a month for two tvs with dvrs, genie, hd, showtime and one of the higher packages before movie channels kick in.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The wireless genie is awesome. Love being able to watch Playboy channel in the garage. I mean football.

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Is that including internet? Just curious.

7. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

Yeah thats what i have read with direct tv, the price goes up $30 the second year, thats one of the things i dont like but if the channels are way better then it might be worth it.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

DTV doesn't do internet. I still get my Interwebs through Uverse and I hate it. I tried to get Comcast but they fed me a line of BS about not being able to install it correctly and they said they couldn't get a tech out there to check the wiring for 10 days so I told them to **** themselves and just stuck with my crappy Uverse internet.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just switched from Dish to DirecTV and I can really notice a better picture quality on all of my TVs.

And yes, the Genie is awesome. I love that I can record a Rockets game, watch the 1st quarter in the bedroom, 2nd quarter in the living room, and the 2nd half upstairs in my man-cave after the wife goes to bed.

Hell, I love that I can watch the Rockets at all, after suffering with Dish for the last 2 1/2 years.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Never in a million years will I ever go with Dish Network again. They are legitimate crooks. Their install man came to de-install our product when we switched to Comcast and the idiot was clueless and didn't take the boxes back and told us we didn't need to send them back. 3 months later they debited 900 bucks out of my wife's bank account and never gave it back despite a customer service agent promising she was working on crediting a refund.

**** Dish Network. **** them up their stupid asses.

11. marky :)

Wait are you sure? I remember looking it up back when I was looking for Internet/Cable providers and DirectTV was offering DirectTV + internet bundles.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I believe in some cases you can get an AT&T / DTV bundle but it depends on your service area.

13. marky :)

I see. And regards to Comcast, I find it best to be an ******* and yell at them to get acceptable customer service out of them. Worked for me so far.

14. justtxyank

Yeah, DTV will do a bundle with ATT internet and/or telephone services if you talk to the right people. I don't do that.

15. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Uverse has great bundles and offers contract free options but yes, they have the worst picture quality of them all.

What do you expect when they're still using ancient copper wiring. Their bitrate for HDTV is somewhere along 5.6mbps. It's terrible. Netflix will look better in some scenarios. Sports look the worst, and especially confetti drops. I have nothing against Uverse besides their picture quality, and I don't want anyone replying to me telling me I am wrong. First of all, get your eye sight checked, and second, google it.

DirecTV hands down has the best picture quality around unless you live in the very very few communities with Verizon FiOS. Their bitrate is in the 12-14mbps range. (aka, double Uverse). Comcast bitrate is around 10-12. Which is still pretty good.

I like Uverse because it's cheap, has a nice guide, and they don't charge you $10 for a cable box, just $8 and they already include the first one free I believe which is also a DVR.

But if you are anal about picture quality like I was. I ended up cancelling it within 7 days.

DirecTV is good but I hate contracts, and their on-demand is a joke. It's a clunky interface especially on the HR-34, and having fast broadband only benefits you sometimes. ( I had mine hardwired via ethernet. No wifi). Picture quality alone is worth it, and they have the most HD. I had league pass, and EVERY game was in HD. If you have league pass on Comcast, only like two channels are in HD.

Comcast - I just like them for their internet and that's about it. I would stay away from their TV service. Picture quality is good however. Just really expensive

My recommendation? Cancel Uverse. It won't get better. The bigger your TV the worst it will look.

I would do DirecTV + Comcast internet.

Directv also does at&t bundles if you prefer their internet or have a need for home phone (if you do, look into Ooma)

#15 Scionxa, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  16. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

Thanks that sounds kind of what i was thinking i just wanted to hear someone else who thought similar

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

According to their website, DTV bundles with CenturyLink for phone/internet and also Verizon for cell phone. All of which I already have.

Is it possible for me to bundle my TV/phone/internet/cellphone? If so, which company do I call to make it happen?

18. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

CenturyLink I think

You'll only be able to bundle between two companies, not three.

So most likely just DirecTV and Century Link.

http://www.centurylink.com/home/tv/

19. VanityHalfBlack

Directv is awesome! I'm running out of storage room as I am now down to 23% but I read somewhere I can add aditional storage to it with a sata connection to the external.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

AT&T is laying fiber in my Neighborhood this week. They will be offering their GigaPower Internet in April/May. I may combine by TV (Directv) and internet (Comcast) and go Uverse for a bundle price when that launches....