1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[COMCAST sucks] Net Neutrality vote watch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SwoLy-D, Feb 26, 2015.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Posting this a few minutes before the vote to see if the FCC decides to stick it up our butts or up Comcast's butt. :eek:

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Anything after the vote will probably just be us ranting, crying, or laughing about our joke of a "commission" system... :(

FAST/SLOW/UNREGULATED internet lanes?

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If billions are at stake, Comcast will continue to pay lawyers and lobbyist. I don't trust the deal and I don't believe this will be the last of it.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Net neutrality vote watch? It's 3-2, with the Democrats being the 3 and the Repubs the 2.

This is about as exciting as an Electoral College vote watch - it's a foregone conclusion.

4. Dubious

The devil is in the details... has anybody read it?

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

who here thinks this is something the legislative branch should vote on?

6. SwoLy-D

BOTH Cornyn and Cruz? Dang.

Anyway:

<iframe width="620" height="379" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fpbOEoRrHyU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^ LOLs. :grin:

Here's a chance for us trolls to unite!

http://www.fcc.gov/comments !

I hope NOBODY. Just don't sign up with ComCast, TimeWarner Cable, or AT&T and you'll be done.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The same was said with the ACA and the Supreme Court. Good ol Roberts handed us a turd.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

General outline provided. Details *should* follow that general outline.

Once this pass and NN is established, the next Commissioner could reverse it, but it's doubtful. Too much momentum going toward NN.

Congress can't see their hand from their feet, so no, this is one of those case where we get some thing done b/c it's outside of Congress. Sure, I would like to see Congress do something eventually to actually help with the real problem with cables internet (completely different topic than NN) but nay, not going to happen.

9. SwoLy-D

"Executive order"?!?!?! ^ :eek:

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Why would you not want a democratic approach?

Congress doesn't pass anything because our elected representatives think its bad for the country. That's not a logical excuse to skirt democracy.

11. SamFisher

Uh, ok - then you want to bet on this?

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You can't be serious. Congress doesn't pass anything b/c it's a dysfunctional government body. It has very little to do with good or bad for the country.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And democracy is not skirted. I don't know why you think a FCC vote would be such thing.

14. SamFisher

Probably morons who don't understand how administrative law works or why it exists.

See above.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I for one am in favor of the legislative body being in charge of issues like this.

Ted Cruz and John Thune, two of the biggest recipients of disclosed financial contributions from the telecom giants have assured me that the FCC's position on net neutrality will hurt entrepreneurs and make it harder for start-up companies to compete with Comcast and ATT. I'm not sure why anyone would think that Comcast and ATT would have some ulterior motive in this. They WANT more competition. They want to make it EASIER for entrepreneurs to get into the market and steal their clients.

When we don't let people bought and paid for by Comcast and ATT make the decisions for us, we are skirting democracy. I'm ashamed to be an American today. If you can't have industry changing policies dictated by monopolies in this country I'm not sure I even recognize the place anymore!

1 person likes this.
  16. Dubious

Because the United States Congress has lost the facade of being democratic.
    They are bought and paid for by corporate interest that only serve their own profit. Citizens United was the end of "By the People, For the people".

Free access to any information without reservation via the internet is the last vestige of free speech. Corporate monopolies that benefitted governmental sanction should not be the arbitrators of what is accessible.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I welcome our new unelected internet overlords

[​IMG]

18. Dubious

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is anyone not paid by telecoms actually against Net Neutrality?

20. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

BAHAHAAH.

i heard peter thiel once say that congressional knowledge of technology and the internet was near the dark ages and he's bought enough of them for Paypal and Palantir to know. I'm not surprised about this at all.