1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

1. Mostly CSN Houston (Partially owned by the Rockets)

555 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The TV Providers (Direct TV, AT&T, etc.)

114 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both Sides Equally

337 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. Stan_Lei

Stan_Lei Member

It shows on directv unblocked at 2am also.... at least that's how it's been so far

2. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Boom, roasted.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

**** you.

1 person likes this.
  4. Batman Jones

My bad.

5. Batman Jones

You read me wrong then. I would never 'boom, roast' Clutch. He runs my favorite site in the history of the internet and I consider him a friend IRL and a very cool one. I would never have an unkind word to say about Clutch.

Those were genuine suggestions. For real.

solid was more eloquent in his response. We just want to know that we're being heard. And right now... as solid said, whatever the media source, right now it's very clear that we are not.

I'm pretty used to the Chronicle letting me down that way. Not Clutchfans.

And I fully believe that Clutch would do the right thing about this if he knew what to do and was able to do it.

I'm pissed at The Rockets. I can't imagine being pissed at Clutch.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance

So I guess we are currently still in the Anger phase?

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I've read a story on this on the chron site, Ive seen it mentioned a couple of times on local news.

Where are you getting that nobody is talking about it?

Are you expected it to be front page news until it is resolved? The Rockets just arent that relevant to most of the Houston media outlets(other than sports talk radio), if this affects the Astros tho, you can bet your bipppy it would be all over the media.

8. Batman Jones

"A" story? A "couple" of times?

Most of the city can't watch the home team.

What is a bigger story than that?

I do expect it to be on the front page until it's resolved, yes. Of course I do.

I also expect it to be the top issue Jonathan Feigen covers on the Rockets page for the Chronicle and that it should be aggressively covered by The Houston Press and all local TV sportscasters. Certainly I do.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Sorry bro

AS much as I wish the rest of Houston cared about the Rockets, you know better than that.

This will only get media attention like you want to see when it affects the peoples ability to see Astros games. The radio stations I listen to hardly ever talk about the Rockets, adn when they do it is with obvious derision, Texans and Astros...not so much.

As for the chronicle...well, they suck and always have so I think seeing one story on it is as much as they are probably gonna do.

Local tv...they will mention it in passing...but again...see above.

You expect things from a hardcore fans viewpoint, adn honestly I agree....but reality says you wont be getting what you want so why get yourself into a lather about it?

yeah, it sucks hard...I am affected also....but life is too short to be getting so upset about something we have zero control over. They wont listen no matter how much you, I or Clutch b**** about it.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm still surprised that all Portland providers haven't caved to Comcast up there for 6 years. They only have the Blazers...you'd think the market share up there would be a huge negotiating advantage compared to Houston. This sucks.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Saturday Night after the game, occupy the studios. Then put that **** on youtube. simple as that. embarrass and clown them when they do the post game show.

12. Batman Jones

I am only really surprised that there's not more (any?) coverage on Jonathan Feigen's page, a page dedicated to the Rockets and only the Rockets; and on Clutchfans, a site that only exists because of the most hardcore Rockets fans.

These are places that, by definition, are being read by (and being read only by) people that care a lot about the Rockets. And I wish that Clutch (and Jeff) would be motivated to "Save Our Rockets" again. Because if they're not on TV, for the majority of fans, they don't exist.

It doesn't make sense to me, this pretense that this is a normal season in Houston. And it is happening everywhere.

I also think local sportscasters should at least have an update every night because to show highlights and talk about the game without talking about the fact that most Rockets fans didn't see it is disingenuous and weird.

13. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

This is a bad team right now so maybe it's a good thing most of us can't watch. Comcast will be dropping their demands shortly.

14. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

I'm not gonna lie... I wouldn't have gone to the first 2 home games if I could have seen them on TV... I wonder if there attendance is better this year at the same time as it was last year.

15. tharges

tharges Member

If you want attention you need to pickett the home games, Les doesnt want that negative attention on the Rockets.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Missed my first game last night in a long time. And I'm ok with that. Will miss tonight's game too. Gonna see how long I can go just checking box scores the day after.

It helps that this team is painful to watch.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/sportsmedia/2...ues-directv-ceo-bashes-high-rsn-fee-requests/

[rquoter]
    As Rockets fans clamor for increased carriage of Comcast SportsNet Houston — the new channel owned by the Rockets, Astros and NBC Sports Group — the CEO of DirecTV said higher subscriber fees for regional sports networks are examples of a “broken” distribution system.

CSN Houston is available in about 40 percent of the Houston area’s 2.2 million TV households, which limits viewership. The Wednesday night Nuggets-Rockets game had an average Nielsen rating of 0.66 for an average audience of about 14,000 households. Games last season averaged a 1.5 rating on Fox Sports Houston.

The NBC Sports Group is seeking a reported $3.40 per subscriber per month for CSN Houston, while Time Warner’s new Spanish- and English-language Lakers channels in Los Angeles, which are available on most L.A.-area cable systems plus AT&T U-verse, are seeking $3.95.

Both new networks carry teams whose games were on Fox Sports Net affiliates that remain on the air. The growth of such new networks, DirecTV CEO Mike White said, presents financial strains that are unfair to non-sports fans and cost-conscious distributors.

“People take the same content, package it up, bid it up for three times the national average on a per-game basis and then try and stick it back to the other distributors in the geography. And I think that’s very unfortunate,” White said this week. “We are taxing most of our customers who wouldn’t be willing to pay for that content.”

Comcast is the largest distributor in the Houston area (684,622 subscribers) carrying CSN Houston. It is not available on DirecTV (369,411 Houston-area subscribers), AT&T U-verse (312,724) or Dish Network (288,074).

Those companies represent potential annual lost revenue, based on the $3.40 per month subscriber fee, of almost $40 million — roughly half the $80 million, according to published reports, that NBC Sports Group is paying the Rockets and Astros in annual rights fees. Based on that $3.40 figure, Comcast subscribers provide about $28 million a year in annual rights fees.

While distributors complain about price, CSN Houston officials counter that they are providing increased content at what they think is a fair cost.

The next Rockets game on the network is tonight, and Astros spring training games will begin Feb. 23.
    [/rquoter]

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

you are operating under the assumption that people care if they are getting it and you are not.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Maybe with the rockets sucking they might lower their fees.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

But this confusing "business-speak" article is not only unclear to the average reader, it doesn't address the larger issue of the markets outside the Houston area. The Rockets have "blacked out" their Texas fans which is so stupid as to be inexplicable.