1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast master race: Does Dwight LOOK like he did in 2009-2010?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Dec 22, 2013.

1. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

I don't have Comcast and thus unfortunately i'm forced to either watch ****ty 240p streams or just look at box scores. According to the box scores Dwight has been beasting through December. ~19.7pts 14 rebounds or so, i.e. Orlando numbers. But box scores aren't everything.

For people who followed him in Orlando does he LOOK like the same player? Similar level of explosiveness/athleticism? If he doesn't then what has improved since the beginning of the season to bring his numbers up in such a significant amount?

Thanks

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Athletically, Dwight isn't the same player he was in Orlando and I've concluded he never will be. His explosion and vertical just aren't the same. But that is OK. He's never been this skilled on offense which makes up the difference.

The change between the past few games and early in the season is improvement by reps. He's crossed the line between making spin moves and hook shots in practice vs. doing them naturally and comfortably in games.

The next couple of steps are how he reacts to defenses taking away his lethal left hand and to double-teams off the catch and dribble. It will be tough at first, people here will get down on him again but reps should solve the problems. What is very encouraging is that this is his 10th year in the league and he is still teachable and able to learn.

When the playoffs start, Rockets hopefully will have a nearly finished product they can rely on regardless of how defenses react.

1 person likes this.
  3. Classic

Classic Member

Dwight is starting to look automatic in the post. Don't know if this was his game in Orlando but if Dwight manages to stay healthy he could be the second coming of Hakeem: career rejuvenation @ 28 - 33

I'm glad we've got him. Last night was impressive. Lakers are stupid.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think A_3PO gave a good breakdown. Athletically, he's at a different phase of his career. It happens to everyone, so this shouldn't be a major concern if he can develop the rest of his game (and there's a lot of room for development).

His back-the-basket post moves look more fluid. He's showing more confidence in the jump hook, especially with his left hand. Without a face-up jumper or turn-around, it still feels incomplete, especially when comparing against Yao or Hakeem.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Needz moar dunkz

6. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

He's still got some athleticism left though.

That bunny hop dunk last night was sick.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He has definitely lost a step. The good news is that he had other worldly athleticism before the back injury so even with diminished explosiveness he is still an elite athlete and should continue to be for another 3-4 years.

His per 36 numbers are almost identical to his Orlando contender days so he is adapting and expanding his game. I'm extremely impressed with the growth in his post game. I thought he had no chance at becoming anything more than a dunker on offense but he has proven me wrong.

He is now the leader of this team and as of late he is doing it well.